Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unknown breed???

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by loz83, Apr 12, 2011.

1. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Hi, this cat has been hanging round my mums house. He hasn't been neutered, and he is very skinny, but he looks like he could be a beautiful cat. Just wondered is he's a pedigree as his colouring is different to anything i've ever seen and was hoping someone on here would be able to identify if he was. :) (think he's a stray because he is very scruffy and he feels dirty. If he isn't a stray he's not being looked after very well :()

Attached Files:

2. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

He won't be pedigree if he isn't registered as such. Looks like an interesting colour but colours do not equate to a breed, I am afraid. Not that easy.

3. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

is he blue? could be a cross, cant tell by looking at him, could be 1/4mog 1/4korat/ 1/2british 1-10th birman...lol no idea, did you take him in your house?!

4. Guinevere13

Guinevere13 PetForums VIP

Looks like a male version of my Ezzie. Needs a good feed and a brushing by the looks of him. :)

Sorry can't help with breed.

Just wondered how the OP would know if he was a registered pedigree if he was a stray?

5. gloworm*mushroom

gloworm*mushroom PetForums VIP

Simply, you can't ever know :) Thats why a lot of cats in shelters are listed as, for example, persian x, siamese x etc. It can look exactly like one, but without the papers you cant ever be sure.

6. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

He's a dark charcoal colour, really lovely, not sure what colour 'blue' actually is lol

N i didn't say he was a pedigree, just wondered if he was, with him looking like he does, he doesn't look like your general everyday moggie

His face is lovely and has like a mane round it.

I've got a couple more pictures :)

N didn't let him in on purpose, the patio doors at my mums were open and he just wandered in :eek:

7. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

not sure if this is any better??? :)

Attached Files:

8. gloworm*mushroom

He's a nice colour (looks blue in the piccies, blue is like a lovely dark smokey grey colour, mine REALLY looks blue in certain lights lol) but I dont see anything jumping out at me about a breed, or even anything he could be crossed with. I've seen a few blue moggies in my time.

9. messyhearts

messyhearts PetForums VIP

Looks like a black smoke. Lovely colour. :D

10. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

oh right, well he's possibly blue then, he could be a beauty, and i only wondered if he was pedigree cos he hasn't been neutered :eek:

not sure if he's escaped from somewhere and he's intact for stud purposes ???

Well, where ever he's from, either he's been gone a while or they weren't looking after him right cos he's very scruffy :(

my sister wondered if he was from a kitten farming place as they dont usually bother too much with the welfare of the cats :(

11. gloworm*mushroom

If ONLY it was just stud pedigrees that were unneutered. There are many many unneutered tom moggy cats as well.

If you are concerned you could get him scanned for a microchip. However make sure he can still get access outside (and knows it) so he can go back home if he wants to. Is he thin? My cats look pretty scruffy right now (as do my rabbits) as they are moulting something rotten. I brush them twice a day and they still look like theyve been dragged through a hedge backwards.

12. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Oh yes, my mum doesn't really want another cat lol

(She took in 3 strays just before everyone had that bad snow in december and already had a cat of her own)

She has the patio doors open when its warm and he just wanders in :D

p.s. All the strays are now neutered (a vets 4 pets branch near us were offering free neutering through march and just give a donation :D I was going to take them up on the offer but found out mine was 5-6 weeks pregnant:eek:)

definately getting her spayed a.s.a.p. after having the litter :)

13. gloworm*mushroom

Some cats do love a second home, especially when theres food on the go. Unless he looks like hes getting extremely thin (which he probably wont if hes snacking on your mums cats food as well lol) then I shouldnt worry too much about him. My friend had a stray which used to wander in their house for a while, they found out it was the neighbours 3-4 doors down and the cat had been missing for months! Just decided he didnt want to go home for a bit as life down the road was a bit sweeter for a bit :p

14. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

Is he definitely not neutered? Sorry I know it sounds silly, but my boy is an ex-stud cat and was castrated at 15months, to have a quick glance at him it looks like he might possibly have 2 little fuzzy pompoms, it's only really when you cop a feel that you can tell he hasn't actually got anything there :blink: lol

15. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

ooo, dint know i should 'cop a feel' pmsl :lol:

To be honest, dint know if he might go for me, but it looks like theres summat there, il get my sister to have a feel :D

He feels very skinny when he is stroked, and his hip bones look to be sticking out a bit???

Not going near the cat food, which did make me wonder.

Did think as well he mite just be an old cat :) but he wanders round outside yowling, like he's after a female??? But there isn't any near my mums, and the neighbours have 2 male cats

16. He doesn't look a certain breed to me just a beautiful moggie. Mabe you could put up some found cat posters in the hope of finding his owner. A vet or any animal rescue will scan for free to see if he has a microchip. would be great for him to be reunited with his owner if he has just strayed to far from home and don't know his way back.

17. Doolally

Doolally PetForums Senior

TBH most boys you can tell, just my boy has caught out a few vet nurses before, asking if he's been castrated when he most definitely has!!

Maybe put a paper collar on him just so you know if he's got a home or not?

18. codyann

codyann PetForums Senior

i second that he is a stunning moggie :) and i agree mayeb you should see if he is microchipped? and then put posters up for his owners if he has any.

19. loz83

loz83 PetForums Member

Thanks everyone for your help, if he keeps hanging around i'll try and take him to a vets for checking if he has a microchip, he is a beauty tho isn't he :D

20. Taylorbaby

Taylorbaby PetForums VIP

:eek: :eek: :eek: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice