Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unfriendly dog!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Mark_stimpo, Aug 17, 2009.

1. Mark_stimpo

Mark_stimpo PetForums Junior

Hi everyone i went with a friend and his staffie to a park the other day and while other dogs were runing freely around my friends dog was getting very agitated! we could let her off the lead and know 100% she would not go to any other dog,BUT if a dog was to come over to her she would get unfriendly which kind of spoils the day,
    bearing in mind this dog used to play with 5 other dogs no problem now she doesnt get on with them.
    does anyone have any tips on how to over come this problem or maybe help her become friendly towards other dogs????

2. ad_1980

ad_1980 PetForums VIP

one word - behaviourist

3. Mark_stimpo

If only we had the dog whisperer!!!

4. kelseye

kelseye Banned

hi we have 2 staffie and they got on fine untill last year when they nearly killed each other so naw we have serepated them one lives with us and other with family.we still let them play with each other but they are muzzled and get on fine but you can see that if the muzzles werent on they would just go at each other again.im not to keen on these dogs as a breed as they are so common by us people have them for the wrong reason not realising what they can be like.its like having a baby in the house a spoilt one at that.

pluss when we were splitting them up from fighting the male had my fingers in his mouth and i had to have stitched and the female got my fella braking his hand thats why naw im not to keep on them.

5. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

A few people recommend treat training ;) I dont know a thing about it but a lot of people swear by it and always see excellent results. Some peeps will be along shortly to help im sure :)

6. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

I agree with this.

Is she spayed? Could she be in season? Has she been attacked by another dog?

If there is the chance of her being aggressive, your friend should keep her on the lead. Whilst it may not be her fault, being the Staffie, she will get the blame, especially if she snaps first at a dog harrassing her.

7. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

So you admit you've been pooh-poohing something for days that you don't know a thing about? :001_tt2:

ETA don't get your knickers in a twist again - I meant that in a jokey way. Well, mostly ;)

8. Colliepoodle

Yes - we could pelt him with rotten eggs and take the p!ss out of his teeth :D

9. james1

james1 PetForums VIP

I never get my knickers in a twist - you dont know the lenghts I go to, for or with my dogs. The comments i received re: gsp thread, from both you and others were not only personal but wholey out of order as to the health and treatment of my dogs.

I hope you have a wider knowledge base than you make out as im pretty much out of here. :D

10. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

I'd agree with others. I'd try and contact a local positive reinforcement trainer/behaviourist.
    Was there anything that could have caused her sudden intollerance/dislike of other dogs

11. Colliepoodle

Dear Pot,

I think you will find that you resorted to personal remarks WAAAAAAAY before anyone else. Your frequent suggestions that anyone who uses reward based training "shouldn't have dogs" offended many.

I don't remember anyone casting aspersions on the health of your dogs or the way you treat them.

Best wishes

Kettle.

12. Mark_stimpo

Hi no she isnt spayed, an not in season, i know what you say about getting the blame everyone seems to think they are bad ogs cus of the reputation!!, she is always left on a lead if there are dogs around!
    My friend says the dog used to live with his ex partner and her fella!! when he went to get her to heve her with him, there was another dog living there and my friends dog was left outside in rain! when the door was opened she came in and walked as far away round the room from his ex she was very scared, i think this may have something to do with it!

13. Mark_stimpo

Hi yes she was living with his ex partner her fella! and his dog so something must of gone on!

14. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

It could be a nervous aggression. They go into a sort of defense mode as they are fearful of being attacked. One of my SBT's suffers from a slight case of this after being attacked by a border collie as a puppy. He's ok off the lead if the other dog is calm, but if its all excitable he gets a little growly. Its just a warning, and its only gone into a fight once, which the other dog started. If there are others around he goes on the lead unless i know its an OK dog.

Its certainly something that can be worked on with a behaviourist.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice