Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unfair

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Woofmum, Dec 31, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Woofmum

Woofmum Banned

My last thread was supposedly a duplicate. Actually it wasn’t because I added about her scratching. I’m pretty upset that one poster says I’m being impatient with my girl. I am not. I’m struggling. I’m almost 60 it’s very very hard to have your rest and sleep broken at least thirty times a night. If I was twenty maybe it would be easier. I’m not complaining about her. I wanted to get some information but it looks like all that’s given out here is criticism. I’d like to see
    The critical posters go through
    What I am going through right now. I know she can’t help it. I was just looking for suggestions as to what to do. I think the first thing is to change vets. As the vet surgery I use so t seem to care she’s struggling and we are struggling. I love my dog more than most humans I know. I’d never be fed up of her because she is old. I just wanted to see if I could make bother hers and our family’s life a bit easier.

2. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

A lot of us have, so we're coming to you from a place of experience.
    I've nursed incontinent old dogs through their last years, having to get up with them a few times in the night, make adjustments during the day, rearrange the whole house so that they can have comfortable places to be with the family that also accommodate for their issues. It can be very hard. A lot of us have been there.

It sounds like your girl needs a thorough vet exam and if your vet is not helpful I'd switch as you say.
    It also hasn't been long since your other post, so it's fair to ask if you have tried any of the suggestions already given to you, that helps us know what else to suggest.

Torin. and LinznMilly like this.
  3. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

I've no idea what's been going on, but I'll look into it.

As for your post being deleted as a duplicate when you assert that it's not, if the only difference between the two posts/threads is that 1 has a bit more information than the other, then it is a duplicate post. There's no need to start another thread which says much the same thing as the first but just has a bit more information - you can always go back and edit your original post or add a reply.

And don't get me started on sleep deprivation!! I don't need a dog to keep me awake- my skin does a good enough job of that all by itself. :rolleyes:

Torin. likes this.
  4. tabelmabel

tabelmabel Banned

I hadnt actually seen your other posts, so my suggestion for you to see a vet was based on my coming to your post anew and i genuinely didnt realise your dog had already had a vet check.

As you mention, a second opinion from another vet will be well worth doing.

As for looking after struggling and poorly pets, i think many of us have had to do this for our pets and do appreciate how hard it is.

Last year, i had a guinea pig that lived far longer than expected with terminal liver failure. It was a rigourous routine of hand feeding, syringe feeding, complete manuel anal sac cleanings and daily baths as well as medications and foot creams applied at regular intervals. Plus weighing and vet visits. And also my washing machine was on daily as he needed clean dry fleeces to bed down on.

When he was pts, i actually felt totally at peace knowing that he looked and smelled very clean and was really well cared for right through. He was a grand old chap of 7yrs which is old for a piggy.

Obviously, when i took him to be pts, it did free up a lot of time in my day and i didnt miss my daily care routine but, when a pet gives so much in health, you really do owe it to them to keep them comfortable when they arent in such good health.

If nothing can be done for your dog, then do the decent thing and let her go with dignity. Dont let her final weeks be filled with frustration and resentment.

I hope that you find a sympathetic vet with some practical solutions.

#4 tabelmabel, Dec 31, 2020
    Last edited: Dec 31, 2020
    LinznMilly likes this.
  5. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

OK, I've looked.

You have three threads that are essentially about the same thing - your dog's restlessness. You could have (should have) added the scratching the carpet thing to your original thread. This is why that thread was locked.

As for criticism, I think you got far more advice than criticism. People will say what's on their mind, and not everyone uses the same filter.

It's against forum rules to start a thread discussing a locked thread, so locking this one too. Please don't start another thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice