Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unexplained behavior,

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Redeyejedi, Aug 20, 2009.

1. Redeyejedi

Redeyejedi PetForums Newbie

My sister's dog has been acting strangely. She is a pekingese, about 7 and a half years old. she is normally well behaved and happy. when my sister told my mom that repeated vet visits were becoming increasingly costly, with no solid diagnosis, i became more concerned. at first i thought i may be static electricity as i read this can lead to strange/unusual behavioral problems in animals. so, i asked my sister a few questions. here is the email and her response:
    hey nikki,
    it was great to see you this weekend. let me know when you get in, I heard you got in late last night. mom and I were wondering a few things. I overheard some discussion of some quite costly procedures to try to diagnose what is going with munchkin. I assume she sleeps in your room: is that on the bed or floor? have you noticed any increased amounts of static electricity; static shocks from walls and outlets and such? does munchkin still frequently sit on your lap while you use your notebook? have you noticed the odd behavior she exhibits to coincide with thunderstorm activity? if you are unsure, try to jot down the environmentla conditions present immediately following an behavioral episode.
    how anthony? tell him to hang in there as work will work its way around for him. talk to later,
    aaron

and her reply:
    It was good to see you too. Hopefully one of these days you can make it this way and we could go fishing again.
    As far as Munchkin goes: she’s appears restless, anxious, scared and uncomfortable. These symptoms come in bouts or waves and occur at different times of both day and night without any real pattern to them. They occur in all rooms of the house and whether I am there or not there. They don’t coincide with storms or the days prior to or just after storms. The vets have checked her blood, fecal, teeth, back, stomach and none of those explain the behavior. She’s been on anti-anxiety pills (Alprazolam) and on pain reliever (Tramadol) with no major response. She still enjoys her walk, likes to play, has a normal appetite, does not vomit, does not have diarrhea, drinks the normal amount of water. These ‘panic’ attacks or whatever they are occur suddenly. When they happen she wants to jump up on us, be right next to us, and then when she realizes that being next to us doesn’t alleviate whatever is ailing her, she starts pawing at the window and doors like she wants to go outside. When we try to let her outside she just sits at the door and does not move or walk outside. She continues to be restless and uncomfortable with her tail dropped low, ears tucked back like she is scared. She does not whimper or bark though. She just stares at us and jumps up on us. It becomes particularly a problem at night when we are trying to sleep so we’ve resorted to sticking her in a kennel for the night. She scratches the kennel walls and barks but eventually tires herself out and goes to sleep. However all this happens between midnight and 6 am. The doctors don’t know what it is and have just run a test to check her thyroid. They then want me to make an appointment with a behavioralist to determine if my response to Munchkin’s ‘panic’ attacks is exacerbating the problem and to see if what Munchkin is doing is a resort of a behavior problem. If that doesn’t work they then want me to see a neurologist and potentially get and MRI to determine if Munchkin has a neurological disorder. The bills are getting more and more expensive each week. I was thinking of contacting Mae and Noel to see if they’ve ever heard of these symptoms in other dogs before.

sorry for the long post and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,
    thanks.

2. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I don't know. But I know a person who has electrical sensitivity. She feels disoriented, dizzy, headachy and generally poorly when exposed to electromagnetic fields. I heard of a case of another woman who had lived in her council flat for years with no problems. She was moved out for a while while the building was refurbished, and one of the changes that was made was that the old wiring (on a spur system) was replaced by a ring main (these emit a higher electromagnetic field). On moving back in, she had the same symptoms as the person I know to the point where she had to be rehoused.
    So where this peke lives, are there any sources of electromagnetic radiation? Pylons, mobile phone masts, electricity substations nearby? It could even be radio signals such as those used in wireless networking, or between a landline and a mobile handset. And it could be things happening outside the house within a few doors down the street. If some people can have this abnormal sensitivity, why not dogs?

Is there any change when they take Munchkin away from home? A few days camping somewhere away from 'civilisation' should determine if the cause is environmental.

#2 Burrowzig, Aug 20, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2009
  3. xxwelshcrazyxx

xxwelshcrazyxx PetForums VIP

Now this is going to sound really stupid ok. and I dont want to frighten you,:confused: But I did have a friend years ago, who moved into an old house, and at night times her dog used to howl into the air, and then sit and watch somthing (she saw it not us). Other times she used to run and hide under the chair of sofa and even used to wet herself on occasions. It turned out to be ghostly happenings (so she was told). She had a preist come and do what they do to the house, and the dog stopped doing it. I found this really wierd and if a stranger had told me about something like this I would of said they were off their heads, but I did witness it twice. spooky eh!. My mate was never afraid as nothing happened to her or anyone else in the house, just he dog acted out of character. It certainly made me think.
    But dont take it as if this is the answer just keep doing tests with vets etc. just in case. xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice