Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unexplained balding

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by Francescaht, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Francescaht

Francescaht PetForums Newbie

Recently noticed my continental giant rabbit was losing large amounts of fur on his neck area. I initially thought it may have just been more severe maulting until it began to spread further down his back. I took him to the vets who was unsure what it was due to there being no scabbing , which would be likely if it were down to mites. As a precaution she gave me three doses to fight mites, he was given them but the hair loss continues to spread. Help?

Attached Files:

2. bunnygeek

bunnygeek PetForums VIP

My Lionhead has a few bald patches around the back of his neck, you don't notice until you move his fur though. A few little tiny scabs where he must have scratched but no typical dandruff. He's had mite treatment just in case.

Maybe ask your vet about a blood test or maybe it's something to do with hormones? Is he neutered?

I hoped MediRabbit would help but it's not clear, it's hard when there isn't signs of any kind of infection or dermatitis!
    http://www.medirabbit.com/EN/Skin_diseases/Diff/Alopcia.htm

3. Francescaht

Francescaht PetForums Newbie

It’s a little reassuring to hear others have similar experiences.

He has been neutered. Think blood test may be a good idea as the next move.

I appreciate you looking, I also couldn’t find anything regarding it elsewhere. Thank you.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice