Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Undissolved salt at the bottom!!

Discussion in 'Marine Aquarium Advice' started by M.R Drake, Feb 23, 2013.

1. M.R Drake

M.R Drake PetForums Member

Hi all!
    This is my first salt water aquarium.. I'll just skip to the point!! Not all of us like introductions :biggrin: there is salt that didn't seem to dissolve yet at the bottom of my tank.. I'm new to saltwater:eek: if this helps, it only been for a couple of hours since I poured the salt in. Do I have to wait like 24 hrs or a 2days or more for it to dissolve? Oh yeah, and there is pump in the tank to too for some sterilization, lol get it?:cornut:

2. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

I'm sure your tank isn't stocked yet, but the best thing to do is mix the salt in a separate container. You should use a pump to mix the water and leave it aerating for at least 24 hours before adding it to the tank. The salt can take a good few hours to dissolve, so I'm sure that's just what you are seeing.

Be sure to test the salinity once it has fully dissolved :)

And welcome to the forum :D

3. M.R Drake

Yeah the tank isn't stocked yet, there no substrate in the tank yet as well!! I'm being extremely cautious with saltwater!! Most the salt in the tank have dissolved, but not completely, there is still a little salt which I will siphone it out. Ones the tank's SG is at the wanted level... I'll add the substrate!!
    This is my stock list of fish:):
    Pyjama cardinal
    Blue chromis
    Camel shrimp
    What do you think? I'm also thinking of adding a cleaner shrimp or two... And a cute common clownfish!! Wish me luck guys!

4. Quinzell

Quinzell PetForums VIP

Which salt do you use? I use D&D, which needs to be thoroughly mixed before being added to the tank. If you don't mix it properly it can leave deposits at the bottom of the tank. These aren't salt but precipitated calcium. If the water is warm when you add the salt, this can also cause this.

Your fish choice sounds lovely but is very much dependant on the size of the tank. I have pyjama cardinals. They are lovely but I find the bangaii to be much more active.

Personally, I would choose true peppermints (Lysmata wurdemanni) over the camels. They will keep your tank free of aiptasia which can be a real nuisance to control once it beds in.

I love cleaner shrimp but we can't keep them as they will irritate the seahorses, and my husbands tank has shrimp predators :(

5. M.R Drake

The salt that I used is called "instant ocean", i'll have to siphone the salt out now.. Serves me right for not paying attention to this part:D

I loved the bangaiis when I saw them! But the dealer said that I should steer away from these fellas... I don't to recall the reason, was it because of their feeding habit or temperament? Anyways, the cardinals looked very great too! Especially their huge eyes and gentle nature! And the blue chromis was the dealer's suggestion as they were very suitable for a beginner like me!!

I'll keep an eye out for a peppermint shrimp too, I never saw these for sale in two stores which I visited. The problem is that I already payed for all the fishes and the shrimp too, so going to the dealer and telling him I don't want the shrimp would be kind of... Well, salty:p

6. vectis58

vectis58 PetForums Junior

I always used to mix mine in a beer brewing bucket giving it a good stir then leaving a large round air stone bubbling through it for 24 hours to mix the salt in.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice