Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Undescended testicle castration

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by LotsaDots, Feb 27, 2021.

1. LotsaDots

LotsaDots PetForums Senior

So Billy is nearly 8 months now. I took him to my mums today for a walk, she used to be a veterinary nurse so had a feel of his testicle (I asked her to it wasn't for fun!)She agreed with me that it is a bit of a weird shape, it's a bit like a torpedo. I knew he had only had 1 and was planning to wait a few months before we castrate him but she suggested I need to get it done ASAP because it doesnt feel quite right. I am a bit concerned because he's a bit nervous and I've read it can make them worse hence why I planned to leave him longer.
    I know they'll have to root about to find the hidden one so not sure how much more invasive and therefore expensive that may be? Anyone else have anything similar?

2. Teddy-dog

Teddy-dog PetForums VIP

No advice from me but just tagging @Boxer123 as I know she had similar with Loki

3. Rafa

Rafa PetForums VIP

If the second testicle hasn't descended by 8 months of age, then it's very unlikely it will.

Retained testicles can become cancerous, so, I would be taking the advice of your Vet now as to how to proceed.

I'm not a fan of castration for no good reason, but I wouldn't leave a retained testicle.

4. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Yes Loki had one undescended. Speak to your vet I waited until he was 18 months as he’s a bigger breed. It can cause cancer if left but they said it didn’t need to done immediately. They had to open him up to find it he has a scar maybe about 6cm. Unfortunately five days after his operation he managed to rupture his stitches and well his insides kind of fell out. I’m sure that won’t happen to Billy! If it hadn’t it would have been a pretty straightforward op.

Blacky90 and Lurcherlad like this.
  5. LotsaDots

Thanks I took the advice of a vet friend who said it shouldn't be a problem waiting a year or so but he would need to be done at some point. That was before his remaining testicle developed a weird shape though, I think I best book him in. Jury seems to be out on whether it affects them behaviour wise, we don't have any issues apart from him being a bit nervous. I wanted to change vets really aswell before I got him castrated as I am not impressed with our current practice since they were taken over by a chain but the others in our area aren't taking new clients.

6. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

Loki’s other one was a bit funny as well. The operation made no difference to his behaviour so hopefully won’t make Billy more nervous.

7. CheddarS

CheddarS PetForums VIP

Castration can exacerbate nervousness, personally I would put it off longer if you can, until he is fully mature

8. ttaylor45

ttaylor45 PetForums Senior

My toy poodle Teddy was neutered at 8 months on the advice of the vet for an undescended testicle and also had 3 milk teeth extracted at the same time,he was absolutely fine and it doesn’t seem to have affected him at all.This is Teddy 87335DE4-CC07-44E0-93EC-B4876B3097EC.jpeg

9. mrs phas

mrs phas karma is a funny old thing

This is regarding a human, but may be the same for a dog
    My youngest son had a retained testicle, and, the pediatrician left it til he was 2, to see if it would descend, it didn't, so, obviously, he was operated on to descend it manually
    But
    In the time we were waiting, his descended testicle became sort of an elongated rounded off oblong
    When I questioned the pediatrician about this, he said that testicles, acting as the cooling system, will take up as much space as they can to expand and contract.
    As I say this was in a human, so whether it can be extrapolated I don't know

LotsaDots, Boxer123 and Lurcherlad like this.
  10. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

I’d be guided by the new vet after an examination, though I’d try to leave it until he’s fully grown and a bit more confident, if possible.

I don’t know, but I doubt the risk of cancer would be as a youngster, rather when a fair bit older (I assume the vet will know).

11. LotsaDots

I have heard this but then I've also been told its not true aswell. The vet I spoke to and my mum who has decades of experience both said they don't think it makes a difference. It's hard to know what to do for the best when you have such conflicting advice.

12. LotsaDots

I can't get to see the new vet at the moment they aren't taking on new clients unfortunately due to covid. I am not super keen on my existing vets they have developed a bit of a reputation lately and I had a poor experience there with my cat a couple of months back.

13. LotsaDots

Thank you. That's exactly the shape I mean. I doubt at his age its anything sinister and that does make sense, after all the principles of fertility are the same whether dog or human.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  14. LotsaDots

Just out of interest was the surgery more expensive because he had one undescended? I read somewhere it can cost up to £800 depending on where the testicle is. I'm very much hoping that is rare though.

15. Boxer123

Boxer123 PetForums VIP

I don’t think mine was anymore than £200. The out of hours putting his insides back in was a lot though !

16. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I wouldn't worry about the behavior end of things.

Behavior is much more complex than one single thing determining everything. Genetics, inherent temperament, environment, how proactive the owner is - all of that factors in too.
    Intact males can develop behavior problems too. From garnering different attention from other dogs (and bitches) because they are intact, to not being able to cope if there is a bitch in heat anywhere in the vicinity and that too has a lot to do with the same factors of genetics, temperament, environment and owner.

So it's not that castration will fundamentally change your dog anymore than leaving him intact means he will become a humping, drooling, marking, territorial basketcase. If he's already a sensible boy with a decent disposition, I wouldn't expect that to change.

What is absolutely true is that leaving an undescended testicle is dangerous to the animal's health and needs to be addressed.

17. LotsaDots

There's no question on whether he will be neutered he would have been anyway just not right now. The danger is of testicular cancer which would be very very rare in such a young dog. It's just whether I wait until 1. He's more mature and 2. I can get him to a vet I am more comfortable and confident with. I am being swayed towards just getting it done now anyway to be honest. He's a million times better with his nervousness than he was anyway. He was happy to take treats and be fussed by a couple of people in a pet shop yesterday which would have freaked him out a few weeks ago.

18. O2.0

O2.0 PetForums VIP

I think this is pretty important - that you have confidence in the vet you're using.
    If it were a routine castration, I wouldn't worry, but since it's a more involved surgery I would want full confidence in my vet.

LotsaDots likes this.
  19. LotsaDots

Billy is booked in for Tuesday, I've gone with my usual practice as the vet I had issues with is working at a different branch anyway. Apparently a retained testicle is fairly common and it shouldn't be too invasive unless it's really hidden deep in the abdomen..fingers crossed its easily located!

O2.0 likes this.
  20. Tyton

Tyton PetForums VIP

My Kahn had similar...we panicked and had him castrated at just 12 months old. He had some minor issues with an allergic type reaction to the stitches on his abdominal wound, but other than that (and the fact he appears to be an eternal daft puppy, even as an 8yr old veteran!) He's had no ill effects.

With an abdominal wound as well as the small scrotal incision, we had to be a bit more careful post op in terms of limiting walks and running about for a couple of weeks, but again not a big deal.

In fact the biggest issue we had was his twin brother Beau eating his way through the cat flap when we separated them for a short time to protect Kahns stitches from bring licked by his brothers!

LotsaDots likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice