Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

underweight kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Breeding' started by delainew, May 15, 2010.

1. delainew

delainew PetForums Junior

hi i have a kitten that is 6 weeks old, she has a deformed leg and a flat chest, i am bottle feeding 4 times a day - kitten still only weighs 250grams not putting on weight, ive been to the vets , they said they could amputate leg, and chest might mend, but kitten not putting on weight or eating solid foods - any advice:confused1:

Honeybunch likes this.
  2. malibu

malibu Guest

I have no advice - Just wanted to say well done for what your doing and I hope the kitten will be ok x

3. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

4. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

PawPeds

I havent personally had any dealings with FCKS but i hope the kitten will be ok.

#4 DKDREAM, May 15, 2010
    Last edited: May 15, 2010
  5. Tje

Tje Banned

Oh gee, she is small. Poor wee thing! And poor you!

Have you discussed her lack of weight gain with the vet? If so what did he/she say?

Has her weight been static or has she continually been gaining very small amounts?

How much milk is she drinking in a day (and how often) ?

Have you tried upping the amount of milk per feed and maybe decreasing the time between feeds?

And personally with such a tiny kitten I would still be doing night time feeds too. I’d be aiming for about 7 feeds a day… but I don’t know if your circumstances will allow that many bottle feeds in a day.

Have you tried introducing any solids, like Hills AD, and feeding it to her through a syringe? I’ve had a few kittens who didn’t thrive at all on bottle feeding, but did eventually thrive with force-fed semi-solids.

However, I would only consider these (possible options) after checking with a vet. She does have a health condition... so it's not just a question of her not eating enough... maybe she can't eat anymore.

The very best of luck with this wee kitten. Please keep us posted how it goes.

6. Slave2Many

Slave2Many PetForums Junior

I'm sorry, I know, flat chests are not nice. Most of the time they are caused by an infection in the womb of the queen. Some kittens in the litter are affected and some are not. It is very rarely genetic (which is good news).

If the flat chest is severe (ie: you can feel an edge to the side of the ribs), it might be that there is something wrong with the internal organs and nothing you do will help. The kitten might continue to lose weight until the end.

If the chest is not severe, you could go to the vets and ask for Royal Canin electrolyte solution, it is not medicine, it is a rehydration solution for weak and recovering cats and this needs syringing into the kitten's mouth so ask for a pack of syringes if you do not have any.

I really hope it is the latter, and the kitten pulls through.

7. delainew

thanks for your replies, I have called the kitten peggle, her chest is flat from armpit to armpit, shes a bit up and down on the scales - losing then gaining weight shes been as low as 130gram and as high as 250gram, but then she is a bit up and down with the bottle feeding, sometimes she take about 25 grams and sometimes just a few drops.I have been feeding her for about 3 weeks as the other kittens got up to walk, she was smaller and started dragging her leg.

it has been wonderful to air my concerns on this forum as I don't really have many people to talk to about her.

I have had an xray at the vets and have another appointment on tuesday, next week, so I can ask them about feeding via syringe - as I didnt know about that.
    :)

8. Slave2Many

Slave2Many PetForums Junior

The bottle doesn't work for me and if the vet has one small enough, you can get a tiny tube to feed into the stomach, connect to the syringe and squeeze it in - then you KNOW it is going in. :)

Measuring the exact amount also helps to know where you are at.

You can buy a lot of supplies on the internet, everything you can get at the vets (cheaper too) but it is only worth it if you are having future litters.

HTH

:thumbup:

9. delainew

this is an update on peggle, shes been to the vets today and she has put on a bit of weight up to 280 grams - its very slow going as shes 6 weeks old now, the vet has advised to feed her semi solid hills A/D through a syringe:).

10. delainew

i have attached a photo of peggle - taken a couple of weeks ago.

Attached Files:

11. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

wow how on earth did i miss this thread!

Your vet sounds like a good one, i too would be suggesting a/d (or another high meat content food liquidised) through syringe.

Tube feeding is all well and good for a kitten who is still on milk feeds only, but not really suitable for long term feeding soloutions and you run a much higher risk of infection.

Has the vet suggested any possible surgeries she can have to help correct her chest? or given an idea on the long term prognosis?... Ive heard some of the more modern surgical techniques have a greater success ratio.

Will keep everything crossed for you.

12. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

shes so sweet thanks for sharing the pic

13. delainew

picture of the litter she is the 3rd kitten at the back, all the other kittens are boys and are 2 or 3 times her size.

14. delainew

the vet says that her chest might pop out on its own, up until she is 6 months old, they are also going to amputate her leg as it is deformed, the hock (knee) is not in the right place its at the top of her leg, she the kittens just drags it along,
    :)

Attached Files:

15. DKDREAM

DKDREAM PetForums VIP

what beautiful cats I want one lol.... I am jealous

16. Honeybunch

Honeybunch PetForums Member

Aww those kittens are gorgeous. sorry to hear about the poorly one.I hope that she gains strength and weight and everything works out well for her. When I was a child my neighbour had a cat with an amputated leg and she did absolutely fine. x:001_wub:

17. delainew

hi everyone
    an update on peggle for you, she is been having hills ad and water thro syringe for a week , however she has now started eating food from a bowl, her weight is 330 grams which is still very small fop 7 weeks but she is putting on, as it was 250 grams last week , just hoping her chest will pop out as the vet said it would , fingers crossed :thumbup:

18. Tje

Tje Banned

80grams in a week and eating on her own - that’s brilliant news. Long may it continue. Hills AD can be kind of addictive for cats (so she might not want to try other foods), so if you feel she is not eating enough of the food in her bowl, then try smothering/covering the other food with a bit of Hills AD. Or sometimes just a wee bit of AD through the syringe stimulates their appetite to eat from the bowl. Or put a blob of (undiluted) Hills AD on to her paw or leg and see if she’ll lick it off (again, in the hope that the taste stimulates her own appetite, it often does). Best of luck with this wee one, they’re all gorgeous kittens.

19. shutterspeed

shutterspeed PetForums Senior

Way to go Peggy!!
    She's very sweet, your heart goes out to her immediately.

20. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

wooo hoooo

congratulations peggle! Long may it continue, dont really need to add anything else as tje has already covered them.

Another alternative if you do find she becomes addicted to the AD (and is refusing all other foods) is to liquidise her own normal food and syringe feed her that until her appetite is stimulated by normal food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice