Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Underweight Kitten - Health risks later in life.

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Welly, May 27, 2019.

1. Welly

Welly PetForums Newbie

We have just reserved a Ragdoll 6 week old GCCF blue mitted kitten and would like to also get another as company. The breeder has two other boys available from the same litter, however she also has a older 12 weeks old stunning lynx Ragdoll from a previous litter. Since his vaccinations he has struggled to gain weight so is small for his age but is now making his way to recovery. His sister sadly passed away last week due to a reaction to the vaccination. Obviously the breeder will only sell to us if he makes a full recovery, but my worry is that even if he does get better will this period of being underweight during such a young age lead to health issues later down the line?

I would normally go for another kitten of the same litter but the GCCF kittens are expensive and as this lynx kitten is not GCCF he is cheaper and as I said before, is stunning.

2. spotty cats

spotty cats PetForums VIP

All kittens should be registered, very odd a breeder would register one litter and not the other.
    Registering kittens is quite cheap, shouldn’t be a much of a price difference between them.

I’ve had a few kittens over the years who’ve fallen behind their litter mates for one reason or another, all went on to be regular sized healthy cats.

OrientalSlave likes this.
  3. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

It would depend on whether there were any underlying issues for his slow weight gain and I would want a thorough vet check done before going ahead, especially since his sister passed away - it isn't unknown but not very common to have such a severe reaction to vaccination.
    I too am wondering why this litter haven't been registered. It really is a very small cost in the whole process of rearing kittens.

Jackie C likes this.
  4. Welly

Welly PetForums Newbie

I assumed the litter wasn’t GCCF registrated as the Mum isn’t full pedigree registered. I may have that wrong though.

5. OrientalSlave

OrientalSlave Shunra Oriental Cats

I would ask.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice