Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Underweight budgie

Discussion in 'Bird Health and Nutrition' started by Rachel20, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Rachel20

Rachel20 PetForums Newbie

Hi all,

Sorry for the long post, but I'm looking for advice as to how I can help my 5 y/o budgie to gain some weight. She's recently had quite a heavy moult and has been quite lethargic, and after a recent visit to the vet we found that she's a bit underweight. Her vet advised adding more protein into her diet, which at the moment mostly contains Trill seed and the occasional piece of lettuce. I understand this is not a very balanced diet for a budgie; however she is an EXTREMELY picky eater, which her vet seemed to sympathise with. Whenever I try to expand her diet by offering her something else like broccoli or carrot, or an alternative seed like PrettyBird, she just ignores it. How can I get her to be more willing to try new foods?

I have also tried introducing her to some cooked egg for protein, but she's just not having it. I'm quite worried about her and what might happen if she doesn't start gaining weight soon. I know that millet can be quite good for carbs, and I plan on giving her some a bit more often; however, it lacks the nutrition that she needs to start getting healthier. What are some good alternatives for helping her gain weight?

Additionally, her vet also found that her skin underneath her feathers is quite dry and flaky. I was quite surprised, as she enjoys a good bath, but her vet advised getting some coat conditioner to put in her drinking water. Could anybody recommend a good product?

Once again, sorry for the long post. I'm just a bird mamma concerned for her little baby! :Dummy1

2. Neville nigel

Neville nigel PetForums Newbie

Hi rachel I'm sorry to hear about the problems you're having with your budgie. However this is not uncommon it's can often be the results of depression, have you considered finding her a companion maybe a different breed of bird like a thrush or a black bird? A different breed of bird can't snap your budgie out of depression more so than the same breed would. I hope this helps

3. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

Thrush and Blackbird are wild birds and it is illegal to confine them as pet birds. I do not understand the logic of your post.

4. Neville nigel

Neville nigel PetForums Newbie

Well how was I to know?

5. Tiggers

Tiggers PetForums Senior

It is illegal to remove birds from the wild and confine them. It is also illegal to remove eggs of wild birds from nests!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice