Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Uncle's newfie has had bloat for second time since Octoberish :(

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by GoldenShadow, Apr 24, 2011.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

This time they caught it soon enough and the vet was able to pump his stomach and set him straight. All they can think of is that he ate an apple, he gets two meals a day no rigorous exercise before/after feed etc.

Poor boy, he's about 9 years old and had to be fixed by surgery in October when it happened. Hope it doesn't happen again :(

2. kat&molly

kat&molly PetForums VIP

Poor lad, I hope hes going to be ok.:)

3. Rolosmum

Rolosmum PetForums VIP

Poor lad, hope he is soon on the mend!

4. 912142

912142 PetForums VIP

Oh that's bad luck and I hope he is well on the way to recovery. I had a Great Dane that died of bloat - well he didn't actually he survived the op (not many do) but because he didn't stand within 24 hours as the text book says the vet suggested he be pts. It was a devastating experience.

There are different lines of thought on this for example not drinking too much water before or after walking - eating at shoulder level etc.

Did they stitch the stomach to the abdominal wall during the last op?

5. GoldenShadow

I'm not sure what the vet did. He came to the surgery out of hours and they paid over £800 for the op last time. The vet had checked him and he'd improved but had another bout of pain in the car park. They took him back in and he had the op. All I know is this time his belly was pumped as opposed to having an op which seems to have worked.

So sorry to hear of your Great Dane. I have no real experience of bloat but lost my horse to colic which was also devastating. Despite bloat and colic being different they sure seem to share common factors due to being digestive issues :(

Really hoping he won't have another bout else I think they will seriously consider PTS if it's going to keep happening :(

6. leoebony

leoebony PetForums Newbie

Hi Goldenshadow
    Thats terrible poor love hope he gets well soon. I have a 6mth old Newfie, thats what i get a bit worried about i dont walk him before a meal and once he has a meal i wait for 30 mins before i take him for a walk.

7. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I do hope he'll be OK, bloat is such a horrible thing.

I never play or walk (very far anyway) at least 1 hour before or after a meal and as we have a large dog I feed him 3 small meals instead of twice a day.

8. portiaa

portiaa PetForums VIP

poor thing :( hope he'll be okay.

9. GoldenShadow

Newfie boy is having his stitches out tomorrow and is doing OK. The vet did have to stitch his stomach to his abdominal wall, I remembered to ask!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice