Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Unborn Kittens

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Julskin, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Julskin

Julskin PetForums Newbie

There is a feral cat that lives in my neighbourhood. She had 4 kittens during the early part of April, so about 2 months ago.

I have recently noticed that she has quite a large lump in her tummy and I'm pretty sure it's not just her swollen teets.

I'm worried that she may have an unborn kitten inside her.

I was planning on trying to catch her, to have her speyed once the kitten have left, but now think I ought to get her sooner in case the unborn kitten poisons her.

Any advice is much appreciated.

Julia

2. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

She may well be pregnant again :(

Can you speak to someone at a cat rescue near to you? They might attempt to catch her and treat her. They will be more experience with this sort of thing, and so would be the best people to deal with it.

3. billyboysmammy

billyboysmammy PetForums VIP

she may be pregnant again...

it may also be poo!!!! I once almost had a foster sectioned because both me and the vet were convinced there was another kitten in! xray revealed a rather large turd!!!!!

If it was a retained kitten 8 weeks later, the signs on infection would be apparent! Its possible its a mummified kitten but this would be found at her spey at the normal time.

8 weeks post birth is about right (well normal in rescue terms) to be speying anyway... can you catch her and her kittens and get them into rescue or into your home to be looked after properly and get mum speyed now?

4. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

OMG :lol: I mean it must have been awful for the cat ... and embarrassing! :D

5. Julskin

Julskin PetForums Newbie

Unfortunatley I live in an area of Spain that has many feral cats and the rescue centres are all full. A charity has offered to get the cat speyed.

I'm unable to take the kittens in to my home as my dog is not cat friendly.

That's why I'm worried about taking her away from the kittens too early. The last thing I want is to put the kittens at risk, but neither do I want to see the mother cat suffer.

6. billyboysmammy

hmmmm very difficult then.

does the cat charity and the vets offer early neutering?

If so... i would be gathering them all into a BIG box, and getting mum speyed along with her babies now.

If not, are the kittens weaned? are they eating solid foods but still getting a sneaky suckle from mum?

If so its time to catch them ALL up, take them ALL to the vets, mum will only be seperated from her babies for no more than about 30mins. She can recover with them in the vets, and be back out on the streets that evening.

The average catch,neuter,release programme operates in this way. Catch the whole family, spey mum put her back with babies in the box and then back on the streets within a few hours of the surgery. If they offer early neutering then the kittens can be sorted too and not add to the population!

Definatly time to get her speyed.

lorilu likes this.
  7. billyboysmammy

lmao i dont know who was more embarrassed.. me or the vet!! We did laugh though, but it was a shame the cat had an unecessary anaesthetic!

8. Aurelia

Aurelia PetForums VIP

BBM's advice sounds great Julskin, I'd take it in your situation. Let us know how you get on, I love hearing happy endings :)

BBM .. I meant the poor cat being embarrassed by you both seeing her rather large 'saved up for private time' poo :lol:

That just reminded me actually. Rilly didn't go to the loo for nearly 24 hours after she gave birth. But when she did ... my word did she have a record breaking long poo! Chris said it was almost the full length of her litter tray :eek:

9. Julskin

Julskin PetForums Newbie

I've just noticed the mother cat seems to have a milky colored film covering part of both her eyes. Do you know what causes that??

10. billyboysmammy

too many things it could be from mild conjunctivitis and infection to more serious nutritional problems to more serious diseases.

Only a vet will be able to diagnose.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice