Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

unable to walk anymore!!!!

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by cookieb, Aug 19, 2009.

1. cookieb

cookieb PetForums Newbie

i have 2 labs have tried lots of different leads - halti and gentle leader they break out of- harness they still pull - they are so strong and fight to be the dog infront it is now impossible to walk them - even seperately!!!! any tips would be great!!! mika is 2 and a half and bruno is 1 and a half.

thanks

2. haeveymolly

haeveymolly PetForums VIP

Sorry cant help only sympathise i have 2 springers that i have tried everything with, halt's, harness, training class the lot and its just a case of nose down and. . . we're off. Harvey is 9 and molly 1, they are not too bad at home on their regular walk unless they see smell something different but anywhere new and its hopeless. Is all the other aspects of training ok, they are brill, fantastic recall cant fault them, but the lead walking is hopeless.

#2 haeveymolly, Aug 19, 2009
    Last edited: Aug 19, 2009
  3. back to basics i'm afraid

Dont try to walk them together until they are walking nicely seperatly

How is their recall?

do they respond well to treats?

You can use no pull collars, head collars and harnesses BUT they are only a training tool not a cure.

This is what i am doing with my new boys who are little sods on the lead at the moment.

Treat in one hand - lead in the other

The second they pull or jump up (they wriggle and squirm like eels) i stop - totally stop and very quickly turn and walk in the other direction

Keep doing this, and yes it can take you half an hour to get out of the street! It does improve though and it does work but you HAVE to be consistant.

The second they take even one step walking nicely to heel with a slack lead i say Heel and i treat. It helps keep the attention on me too.

Eventually they will walk nicely on a lead - i have made it my mission!

Once we have the walking on lead cracked we will be moving onto recall training!

4. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

BBM has given great advice.

It might be worth training each one seperately after they've burnt off a bit of energy, as they are more likely to be focused on you rather than running around.

Have you been to training classes at all?

You could also try clicker training.

5. JSR

JSR PetForums VIP

You need classes, because you are getting yourself in a vicious circle. You can't walk the dogs because they pull, so the dogs are getting bored so when you do try to walk them they get excited and pull!!!

Ring round and research the best class in your area, then take one dog to the class. Do not even try to take both together even if your partner comes with you. I'd be tempted to book a couple of private classes first off so you can explain to the trainer what you want to achieve and let them assess each dog. The dogs need to learn independently of each other and become responsive to you and not each other, cos quiet frankly you are currently just a disturbance at the end of the lead and not in control. ;) Labs can be strong and powerful dogs but they are also generally eager to please and easy going characters, they usually want an easy life so if they learn that being good on the lead means more walks then they'll soon get it.

No point spending money on gadgets and things that are supposed to stop the dogs pulling, my pack of 5 walk by my side on slip leads and believe me if they decided to pull I'd be swinging in the wind but they don't because they know not to. ;)

Good luck and with some hard work and a good trainer you'll soon be walking 2 beautifully behaved dogs!

6. cookieb

cookieb PetForums Newbie

fanks 4 your tips i will try and let u no results!!!

7. alaun

alaun PetForums VIP

Good advice from Billysboysmammy

we did that with our three and although I'm only 5 foot tall I can now manage to walk two full grown wolfhounds and a setter. I have to admit that the setter still is the strongest though - certainly in willpower!:)

8. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

Great advice so far.
    I have found that stopping as soon as my dogs start to pul and not moving an inch until they are at heel works well.
    I also have to make sure they get at least half an hous good running around twice a day. Usually they get more than that though, (As well as on lead walking).

x

9. Stellabelly

Stellabelly PetForums Senior

My dog trainer advised that if dog pulls on lead stop, shorten lead and turn a tight circle with dog on inside = so if dog walks on left then circle anti-clockwise. Worked with Stella though she is only small dog.

10. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

My rational with dogs is.... If they see you as the leader then you can get them to do anything.

My opinion when they are trying to pull to this extent is that they are showing no respect for the handler and you need to reinforce your status as pack leader, so that the dogs learn to obey you.

Yes there are gadgets you can use and treats, and stop and start techniques and you can go to classes. But what has worked for me, is to command respect from my dogs so that I don;t get pulled all over th place. :)

11. bucksmum

bucksmum PetForums Senior

This is how i see it too :)

12. Matrix/Logan

Matrix/Logan PetForums VIP

I have to say all this advice is brilliant but whilst you are implementing all of this new training and sorting out clubs etc this poor person still has 2 very energetic dogs to walk. I am in the same boat at the moment and found walking my 2 together unreal so we did the walking seperately, they are angels until you attempt the 'together' walk. So for our recent holiday where we took them both and knew they would be excited by all the newness i invested in a gencon all in one lead, it has proven to be fantastic and for the first time ever i was able to walk both dogs on my own, there were so many distractions, children, bikes and other dogs and yet Logan walked like a dream on the gencon while Matrix wore his gentle leader. I had tried Logan on a gentle leader before but he still went 'head down and charge' but with the gencon he is a total gentle giant!! (he moans a bit but heyhoe!!) LOL

Hope this helps you even if it is for the short term until the training has paid off, that is our intention too!!

13. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

It's easier for people to blame it on training and throw money at clases and gadgets, rather than admit that they are not providing enough leadership. However, dogs like spaniels and beagles are different because they are only using their instinct. Here I believe it needs to be trained out of them. x

14. Colliepoodle

Colliepoodle PetForums VIP

Where that sort of logic breaks down is when you consider that dogs tend to pull worse on the way TO the park than they do on the way home.

So by your theory, the dog is showing more respect on the way home than on the way to the field?

Doesn't make sense.

Dogs pull because:

1)They want to get somewhere
    2)They are under the impression that pulling is what GETS them there
    3)They tend to like to be ahead anyway (nothing to do with dominance or lack of respect though lol)
    4)It has worked in the past - or rather they PERCEIVE it to work (see 2)

Dominance enthusiasts like to attribute absolutely EVERYTHING to the dog lacking respect, but very rarely is dominance the actual issue ;)

15. lemmsy

lemmsy PetForums VIP

16. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I agree with colliepoodle.
    My dogs respect me, but when they were younger they were alowed (yes, by me, oops) to believe pulling got them where they wanted to go.
    Now it works because pulling gets them absolutely nowhere, and if they need a wee reminder, stopping dead with a dog on each side is much much easier than trying to turn around :)

x

17. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

Colliepoodle - you are obsessed with dominance...... I did not even mention the word........ :D

Yes dogs get excited and of course the first walk of the day, on the way to the field, is going to generate excitement. I would not expect a dog to walk perfectly. But the OP's situation is so bad that she cannot walk them any more.

I can only go on my own experiences of successfully training all 4 dogs in the photo to walk nicely. Never been to a class, or used treats, or used a clicker, just commanded respect from them.

I know you believe that your way is the ONLY way to train a dog, but there are other ways as well.

My ways and means maybe different, but it doesn't make it wrong....... :D

18. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Goodvic, how do you command respect from a dog?

19. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

* consistancy
    * house rules i.e only of sofa if invited
    * training sessions at home
    * maners at meal times (used to gesture eat, but no longer feel the need to)
    * walking together as a pack, with me leading
    * play sessions
    * training whilst on off lead walks

But the over riding factor is my state of mind. Anybody can do all of the above, but if they do not see themselves as leader then it won't work.

I love my dogs and would do anything for them, but they are dogs and I treat them as such. Remember I have had serious aggression with Max, so I have to be on top of them all the time.

x

20. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Thank you :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice