Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Ultrasound said not pregnant but what's this movement under her ribs?

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by LadyFrenchies, Feb 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyFrenchies

LadyFrenchies PetForums Member

Mine and brothers frenchies slip mated the 10th Jan since then shes had sickness a few times some discharge not alot and not smelly or bloody and has become very affectionate and loving would be her first litter hence why I'm thinking a singleton and her vulva is very chunky looking hasn't returned to not season status! . She has filled out in her ribs and her teats have grown a small size and have pinked up. Obviously being worried I had her scanned at home and she said she isn't pregnant but she didnt scan up near her ribs just around the bottom near her vulva! Now I've got a video of movement and have posted it for some advice. I'm worried she's going to need a section. I need eyes and opinions please. Thanks

2. LadyFrenchies

You can see it around the 17-20second mark this wasn't a planned pregnancy as my brother had the bitch but I have taken her on due to him going back into hospital and I had no idea she had/or was in season at the time until my dad had filled me in. I am hoping she isn't for her sake but if she is I have the means to care for her ie money ect and love and care and if it is indeed a singleton my mother has already claimed it

3. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

It's sometimes hard to see if the litter is small - and yes, bitches can get pregnant from a slip mating. From your description she is showing some signs. To be honest i would have a word with your vet and see what they say - and if you are concerned then they can scan her properly.

J

LadyFrenchies likes this.
  4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Or there's a blood test.

5. LadyFrenchies

Thankyou both, I will leave her another week and see if there's any change in her and take her to our local vet where she is already registered. She has been eating alot more ravinously to be honest I do think she is. But I'm no expert. What else could that moventment be? I sent the video to my mum who used to breed and show JRT's and she said that it looks like definite puppy movement and thinks she is. I just want to be prepared if anything to be honest

6. LadyFrenchies

#6 LadyFrenchies, Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 1, 2019
  7. LadyFrenchies

OK guys I think I had my wires/dates crossed. From the 10th Jan slip mate (I seen) she would be on day 47 which is near to the end of week 7, If i count from the day after she came to us (the only day she was left alone with my boy) it would have been the 7th Jan making her on day 50 today! Last night she had her feed and she was massive! and tbh looked like a huge barrel I've never seen her that big. I put it down to her food and waited until morning and felt her tummy when shes stood and she was definitely firm. I have the afternoon off work on Thursday so I will definitely be taking her in to the vet. She has always been a slender muscular lean girl and is very active and very fast for a frenchie nothing like my big chunky fat Poo Bear. So she could be hiding them very well if she is, possibly making the ultrasound woman miss them? The pics are useless tbh my 4 year old messed with the settings making the pictures blue but she won't leave my side and has been more ravernous than usual since I last posted she's even trying to push Bear off his food to eat after eating hers which is definitely out of character for her shes never really been a huge eater.

Attached Files:

8. LadyFrenchies

This is her at the end of August last year when we took them both out together. As you can see shes a very slender girl beautifully lean and strong feeding on 1kg of raw a day. Pics do no justice but just look at the difference in that belly now

9. Emilysmeow

Emilysmeow PetForums Newbie

Sounds from your description like pregnancy could be very likely, but only a vet could tell you that 100%. Although, she is in very late pregnancy if she's on day 50.
    I would advise that, due to her breed, it may be worth researching potential issues with giving birth and signs to look for (if this is your first time with a pregnancy bitch), as french bulldogs unfortunately do struggle to give natural birth. Consequently, could be worth being prepared for a C-section too (although, fingers crossed she is ok...)
    Your vet will be able to talk you through any information you need to know.

10. LadyFrenchies

Thanks for your reply, trust me I have been very nervous thinking that she is indeed pregnant. I have seen doga whelp before when my mum bred JRT's. I havent been off Google since all this started doing all the necessary research and searching all forums regarding frenchie pregnancy and complications it's definitely scaring the hell out of me but I will do whatever I can to help her through this and will definitely be bringing up about a c section if vet comfirms the pregnancy. Thanks again

11. LadyFrenchies

Spoke to my girls breeder, she was from a self welped litter and grandmother was a self whelper too

12. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Looking at those pictures i would say she looks pregnant, might not be a big litter though, Cant see the video for some reason

13. LadyFrenchies

I hope it isn't a singleton can they hide 2-3 pups high up like that I've definitely felt and seen more movement since. I will try upload video again now, it was filmed on the 22nd of Feb

14. David C

David C PetForums Senior

definitely looks like something moved slightly there near the end of the rib cage, I think if i was you i would go to the vet and get the vets to scan or xray her and see what exactly is going on

15. LadyFrenchies

I've discussed everything with the vet and I'm going to take her in tomorrow afternoon for him to have another nosey at her. He did have a palp a couple of weeks back and couldn't feel anything but he did say she may have them high up in her ribs. The movement I've recently seen is a tad bit lower now more to the middle of her belly. Could it/they be moving down

16. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Yes they could easily be moving down now because the puppy growth would cause the uterine horns to drop more. Ask the vet to do an xray because at this stage you will definitely be able to see the skeletons of the pup/pups and know for certain if she is pregnant exactly how many are in there which if its only one or two you really do need to know

Burrowzig likes this.
  17. David C

David C PetForums Senior

Let us know how you get on :)

18. LadyFrenchies

I asked about an xray when I explained over the phone but she said they don't do an xray unless it's an urgent matter but I will persist and yes I will definitely be sticking around and updating thanks for the advice and suport

19. LadyFrenchies

and they don't do sections by request. An emergency one would be £6-700.

#19 LadyFrenchies, Feb 27, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  20. LadyFrenchies

Chubby maybe mama!

As of yesterday her teats have gone a deep purple colour and tummy feels alot firmer. No milk yet and no other symptoms apart from being very greedy and still active loves playing rope tug with maybe daddy Bear! Vets this afternoon see what's going on

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice