Ultimate Brexit Thread

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MrsZee, Dec 10, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. PetForums VIP

Did it?
    download.jpeg
    Only 789,879 ballot papers where valid when the counting took place.

pa-266982621.jpg

hero_color_new_EU_ref_map.jpg

Wasn't a significant margin compared to say Scotland.

Although I do understand the arguement that Ireland is an Island and the Northern part is part of the UK. It is up to any new Northern Ireland devolved power sharing assembly if they are to hold a border poll and to request such a poll from Parliament (Westminster), not the Republic and people are annoyed that the impasse in Northern Ireland's Stormont that there has been no devolved assembly since January 2017 as it has had a financial knock on effect throughout Northern Ireland on its public services etc (hopefully this will be resolved soon).

#1721 stockwellcat., Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
    Satori likes this.
  2. Phoenix Rising

Phoenix Rising PetForums Senior

Years ago (1999/2000) I went to County Kerry from Holyhead and even though I'd been advised to take a passport (which I did) I never got stopped and asked to see it? I drove onto ferry then went up top to the bar, returned to car and drove off, it was the other port next to Dublin that I can't remember how to spell!

I never did understand why only a small part of Ireland was part of the UK and the rest of it isn't???

3. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

I am afraid I don´t agree with this policy at all and I am very sorry to read this. Nothing personal LinznMilly, as I know you didn´t decide this on your own. Why do I feel this way then?

Lets get some perspective to this, as this is a matter of principle, and as such, always important.

For me the use of humour has always been a fundamental right for people to express their opinions especially about those in power. People abusing power seem to have one thing in common, no matter where they come from and what is the political system they represent, as in the end the system doesn´t matter, if it based on abuse.

Most of us defended Charlie Hebdo, even when most thought the joke about Mohammed was sleazy. But we knew that we must have the right to laugh at all political and even at religions, as the alternative means that we are not free and have yielded into tyranny. Naturally some got offended, as the cartoon was aimed at making something holy to look ridiculous. Still, freedom of speech was bigger than some feeling offensive. At the end, no one was suggesting someone should be harmed. That is the line isn´t it.

Britain has been famous for it´s great sense of humour and ability to express the ridiculous, especially in politics. For me that is genuinely something I have admired Britain for and for that alone I was happy to use the word great in front of Britain.

Brexit is all about politics, nothing personal to anyone as such. And as in any political debate, it should be possible to express also the ridicilous element in it using jokes and cartoons, as long we are not suggesting anyone should be harmed personally in any way. Some don´t like the message. Well, tough, but I don´t like to be called a scaremongerer or fearmonger either. Does that give me the right to deny them to use that word? Or many other words I do find offensive? IMO no, as if they feel that way, they have a right to say so.

For me this restriction not being able to use humour on this thread made PF suddenly a formal body supporting those abusing power, fearing that they are being laughed at. Maybe you mods just thought that your job is easier, when you deliver these restrictions and it is as simple as that. But it is not, as you just denided me my freedom of speech and took a step closer to those supporting tyranny. That to me is way much bigger than your job.

What next? I´m not sure, but I surely feel really dirty and abused now and I am not happy being a willing part of PF any more.

noushka05 and cheekyscrip like this.
  4. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

Don't go!

I agree with you that humour should never be censored, but I think a specific problem we've had with this particular thread is that all the jokes and memes and cartoons have been anti-Leave.

Given that a large part of humour is often to make the butt of the joke appear foolish, and given how tribal Brexit has become, I can imagine and understand - though perhaps not sympathise - how a number of people see any anti-leave humour as a personal attack. So maybe in this case the restriction isn't as unreasonable as it might seem.

LinznMilly and KittenKong like this.
  5. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

No one is restricting humour in this thread...the jokes and memes were causing offence and if you refresh yourself with the terms of service and rules you will see why we have asked for people to stop posting them in this thread.

No ones free speech has been denied, that is a tad over dramatic.
    Please can we get back on topic otherwise we will be forced to close.

#1725 StormyThai, Feb 9, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2018
  6. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

Somebody else´s opinion about cartoons actually made you forbid them on this thread with a hint that they might only be accepted in other threads, if you think they are ok. I thought that was dramatic. And we are talking about cartoons that are not promoting crime, violence or hate crimes, but just making politicians looks ridiculous.

I do not like threats of any kind either, nor do I like not being able to disagree openly with decisions I find unreasonable. So if this is your response to my post " tad bit dramatic and we will be forced to close" I´d think it is pretty clear that the right to feel offended is only for some, but not for me. "Force" is also an interesting word to be used, as I really don´t have to be a member of PF and I surely don´t need to spend my time trying to find actual facts about Brexit. It was good while it lasted, but I really don´t like bullies of any kind and I do not want to support any forum where bullies are accepted. Here on this thread they seem to have won.

So I thank you all those, who try to focus on facts about Brexit, stay positive and polite and above all, seem to be genuinely good people. Britain surely needs you now more than ever before. And if someone finds that dramatic, well, for many having nothing and being forced to rely on UK´s social security is dramatic, even lethal. This is just a pet forum. Nothing more.

Special thanks for @cheekyscrip , @noushka05, @Arnie83 , @KittenKong and @Jesthar . I know you really try to make this world a better place.

noushka05, KittenKong and cheekyscrip like this.
  7. StormyThai

StormyThai Moderator
    Staff Member

I did warn you :Locktopic

Magyarmum, Katalyst, Calvine and 4 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.