Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

UK population rise of 538,000

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by samuelsmiles, Jun 26, 2017.

1. samuelsmiles

samuelsmiles PetForums Senior

2. catz4m8z

catz4m8z PetForums VIP

World population isnt actually sustainable the way its rising and with how we treat the planet.:(
    Luckily we will all be dead before it makes a serious impact and we all start living in a Mad Max movie!!LOL:D

3. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Unlike Poland who's population has dropped by 1 million in the last 10years. Oh, I wonder why that is..............................;)

4. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Yes, I wonder why people have left their beautiful countries to live (and die) in concrete jungles in the uk?

Probably something to do with big business and the wealthy operating recruitment drives in poorer Eu countries and the Eu enabling them, instead of supporting people so that they could remain and build a future in their homelands.

Placing restrictions and austerity on already struggling countries made it very easy for companies like JDSports, Amazon and the big delivery companies at least to recruit the poor less skilled workers, giving them false promises. :(

No doubt now we're leaving the Eu, some companies and corporations will move what operations they can to mainland Europe, India, or some tax haven or other exploitative corrupt country, so they can carry on as normal. Can't have fair wages and conditions eating into profits can we? That'd never do.

HarlequinCat, Dr Pepper, rona and 2 others like this.
  5. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

cheekyscrip, elmthesofties and MrsZee like this.
  6. rona

Dr Pepper and Arnie83 like this.
  7. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

The thing is, a lot of the Poles who came here in 2013 went back home not long after. Do you have more up-to-date figures or is that the latest the source has?

8. MrsZee

MrsZee Guest

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poles_in_the_United_Kingdom

The birth rate in UK is 2%, which is high in comparison to many EU countries. There are about 1% of Polish people in UK, but the migration slowed down in 2007.

noushka05 and Arnie83 like this.
  9. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

The Polish are nice people and their country is beautiful, though also suffering and fighting destruction pretty much the same as everywhere. My friend house shares with a Polish couple, they're lovely and she's learning to cook Polish meals from them.

One of the issues with migrant workers is that the Eu did nothing to protect people in their homelands and boost their economy, but rather made it cheaper and easier for the wealthy and corporations to import and employ unskilled workers from the poorer Eastern European countries.

10. rona

I would expect it's dropped off to this country anyway, I would imagine more go to Germany or Italy now and Polands economy is doing so much better that many have gone home.

We do take in rather a lot of immigrants still compared to many other countries and most of those are of child bearing age which means the population not only swells by the influx but their offspring as well.

Would be interesting to know what the figures would be taking out the immigration figures + sprogs

suewhite likes this.
  11. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

I don't have any specific figures (unusually for me!) but I very much suspect our population would be falling, and ageing.

(Of course it depends how far back you go in taking out the immigrants and their offspring, because we're all either migrants or their descendants.)

noushka05 and Zaros like this.
  12. Arnie83

Arnie83 PetForums VIP

If Poland is / has been a net benefactor of EU funding, then it's not really fair to say that the EU did nothing. Whether they could / should have done more is debatable, but I suspect the fault lies with an inadequate analysis of the bleedin' obvious effects of full access to the free movement aspects of EU membership. Give footloose youngsters the chance to travel freely to other countries and get low-skilled temporary jobs that will pay more than they can earn in full-time employment at home, and what are they going to do?

I have read, though, that Poland is now performing well enough to start attracting its wanderlust youth back, which bodes very well for the future.

noushka05 likes this.
  13. Elles

Elles PetForums VIP

Not Poland specifically, but the Eu compounded matters by enforcing austerity and making conditions that countries had to meet, and making it cheaper for corporations to import unskilled workers from Eastern European countries. Corporations and the wealthy ran recruitment drives in these countries and promised milk and honey. People don't want to leave their beautiful homelands, learn a new language and live in an overcrowded concrete jungle if they can help it, but if there's no work where they are and they're promised the earth and can help their families by moving, of course they will.

Poland is doing better in some respects, but their environmental and human rights record might leave a little to be desired just yet.

Arnie83 likes this.
  14. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

Saw this on another forum:

[​IMG]

picaresque and noushka05 like this.
  15. Dr Pepper

Dr Pepper Banned

Ahh that's brilliant. Nice to see Price Phillip up and about again. Thanks for sharing.

16. Mirandashell

Mirandashell Banned

17. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Wasn't that long ago it was UK builders in germany... EU freedom of movement direction tends to go in cycles.

18. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

For example : families have fewer two children, 40% young people on zero hours contracts, underpaid teachers and nurses, very expensive houses....
    But Poland took on million Ukrainian refugees.
    Who need housing, food, schools, medical care. Many came wounded or ill.
    Imagine UK offering help to a million non EU refugees...

19. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

Also high uni fees stopped many UK young people from studying. Then UK recruited doctors, nurses and so on from Poland, where uni is free ...so thus UK had professionals, whose childhood health care and education cost nothing....
    While Poland offered zero hours contracts and ridiculous housing costs to their young.

This is why Tusk and his liberal party lost to ultra right...
    Government of PiS, totally backwards, church led, intolerant and intolerable pushed even more young people out.
    This is country where women had " Black March" just recently.
    Government wanted to ban abortion even if mother's life was at risk, child had grave deformity, or woman was raped.
    Where priests tell you whom you vote for or be damned.
    Where in vitro is considered a sin!
    Poland is beautiful.
    I missed every day. Not sure if I could live there...

noushka05 likes this.
  20. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

:Hilarious while the Queen and prince philip are foreigners , I'm pretty sure they're not criminals.

cheekyscrip likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice