Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

UK danger to pets warning

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Alexhannah, May 18, 2018.

1. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

It's just come to my attention that the killer/s struck again in Folkestone recently.
    Must be more than one person surely?
    If not stopped, this psycho will inevitably go on to kill people. I think that may be why police are taking it so seriously.

2. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi Cully, what is it the police are doing? Where I use to live they ignored this sort of thing, even though they knew exactly who they were and still are in my old area.

#22 TriTri, Jul 19, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 19, 2018
  3. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

I really meant that police in general are taking these attacks seriously now because it appears to be almost nationwide, so unlikely to be just one person. And of course it is well known that those responsible for this sort of thing to animals, usually progress to attacking people.
    It is only my opinion after reading reports so I cannot speak for the police here.
    I only know about the attack as it is local to me.

4. TriTri

TriTri Standing up for cats

Hi Cully, I was hoping you knew of something the police are actually doing, other than an initial visit to the poor pet owners after a scene, and giving out a contact number to the public.
    I wouldn’t expect them to give out information that could harm an investigation, but I wonder if any well known pet charities could confirm 100% that police have been given a reasonable budget to allow them to investigate this matter/matters. Lots of matters! Reassurance say of how many full time staff (if any) are working on this? Has anyone googled it and know of a link to this please?
    Thank you @Cully for starting a thread.

#24 TriTri, Jul 20, 2018
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2018
  5. Cully

Cully PetForums VIP

Woah there, the thread was started back in May by @Alexhannah . If you read from the start you'll know just as much as me.:)
    I only commented on here because of the report in my area.
    If I find more details I'll post them.
    Wish they'd catch him/them, then we could all relax.

6. Mrs Funkin

Mrs Funkin Human mother to Oscar

7. Elaine b37

Elaine b37 PetForums Senior

I am struggling to accept this explanation, were some of the mutilated cats not left on their owner's doorstep? and then there were the reports of people actually spotting a man trying to take a cat and giving chase? some very clever foxes out there!

Summercat and MissMiloKitty like this.
  8. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

And I thought some of the mutilations were known to not be wild animal inflicted - no proper details were made public were they to prevent copy cats?

And yes, the ones left on the owners premises are a little suspect.

I do think that some of the 'attacks' attributed to the killer may not have had anything to do with him/her but I can't believe it's got this far without someone saying "well maybe it's just a fox?"

Sounds like the police trying to palm off the investigation as 'solved' to me.

Summercat and Tigermoon like this.
  9. MilleD

MilleD PetForums VIP

kimthecat likes this.
  10. MissMiloKitty

MissMiloKitty PetForums VIP

Unlikely to be foxes. If it was a fox then this would have been ascertained a long time ago.

11. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

Last time I looked, foxes didn't go round armed with Machetes.

12. Mrs Funkin

I know, it's so odd. How can an animal possibly do what has been done? I too am suspicious.

13. Mrs Funkin

(maybe it's "just" the one area they are talking about?)

14. Alexhannah

Alexhannah PetForums Member

This is what SNARL have said about the news :
    We are aware of the notification this morning by the Met Police that they are discontinuing Operation Takahe, due to new evidence that suggests the injuries to the cats are fox predation post- road traffic accident or other event.

As you can imagine, this morning’s announcement has come as a surprise and we will be taking advice on how to move forward.

We consider that the evidence we have gathered over the last three years does indicate human involvement and there is expert opinion to back this up. Over the last three years, we have discounted over 1500 incidents as non-human related.

The police have said that they will continue to investigate incidents where there is clear evidence of human involvement.

Our priority at the moment is the victim’s families and we will release a further statement in due course.

lea247 and Calvine like this.
  15. Calvine

Calvine PetForums VIP

I don't know what to think; but I am sure I read that on more than one occasion the cat's remains were left on the owner's doorstep. I know cats with dreadful injuries can and do drag themselves home if possible, but I doubt they would manage it if they were decapitated? Is it just the police don't want to spend/''waste'' time on these cases?

16. MarkCatFreak

MarkCatFreak PetForums Newbie

Only call those numbers after you have viciously battered the sick bastard.

Sorry reminded me of a video I saw a few weeks ago of a man who caught someone molesting his 12-year-old son.
    He called the police...after he brutally beaten the kid. Police didn't press any charges nor did the victim (US of course)

17. Blackie's Slave

Blackie's Slave PetForums Newbie

Police just don't have the resources - I read somewhere that there were up to 15 of them working on this cat killer case. I don't for one minute believe their reason for dropping the search.

We were due to return to our London home 3 years ago but hearing about the killings made us stay down in NSomerset in an area that's about as safe for a cat as its possible to be .... end of a cul de sac, no busy roads nearby, no dogs - and no worries for me either.

#37 Blackie's Slave, Oct 2, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2018
    TriTri likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice