Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Uh oh

Discussion in 'Fish Keeping Chat' started by Jason25, Jul 10, 2020.

1. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Well I seen a gumtree advert for 7 x 88 litre tanks for £70, I couldn’t resist and ended up picking them up, they are currently sat in the back of the van. I will get them out into the back garden tomorrow and post some pictures lol. Any suggestions on what to keep in them? :D

I doubt I’ll use all of them and will probably put a few back on gumtree but it seemed like too good a bargain to miss out on lol

George Duke-Cohan and magpie like this.
  2. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Oh my god! :D

Soooo many possibilities though!

Jason25 likes this.
  3. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

7D1EB35E-6CD4-4CB9-B5C7-9653FC7411D7.jpeg 35E335B7-2E87-44BB-908F-41E1FE9A0382.jpeg

Well 6 tanks all water tested, no leaks now to remove the water marks, neighbour seen me carrying them in and has ended up having one, accidentally gave him one of the better ones :Shifty:Hilarious

I’m looking into fancy gold fish, then Ranchu goldfish look awesome!!!

LinznMilly and magpie like this.
  4. magpie

magpie PetForums VIP

Shame the neighbour got one of the better ones, you've still got plenty to play with though at least! :D

88 litres is on the small side for goldfish, just fyi. You could keep babies in it for a bit but they'd outgrow it quite quickly. It's recommended to have 140L for a pair of goldfish.

Is your water hard or soft? I know with my soft water if I had room for more tanks I'd be looking at having a group of sparkling gourami in one tank, perhaps with a group of smaller corydoras.
    Maybe a female betta sorority in another? Or a pair/group of peaceful bettas (betta imbellis, not to be confused with fighters!) with a shoal of one of the smaller rasbora species.
    A pair of dwarf cichlids in another, with a shoal of a small tetra species.
    Ooh, you could have one as a river set up with a fast flow & keep some hillstream loaches or gobies, maybe with something like white clouds or danios?

Jason25 likes this.
  5. George Duke-Cohan

George Duke-Cohan PetForums Member

You have me so jealous. Maybe start a breading program for endangered fish. Maybe you could use the tanks for shrimp! I love shrimp, they do make me laugh.
    So many things and fish you could keep. Really am jealous, you must keep us updated. What a bargain though.

Jason25 likes this.
  6. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

Rule 1 of keeping fish tanks; place tanks on even surface

Where do I start lol so I water tested them all, no leaks. I had them on a bit of board keeping them on a level surface, syphoned out most of the water of all them, then tipped the water out but leaving the tanks on the rubber matts underneath :Facepalm:FacepalmSuch a stupid idea, there’s stones under the matts and now 2 of the tanks have cracked bottoms. :Banghead:Hilarious

hammer and bin for them lol.

I’ve got 4 left now, no idea what I’m gonna do with them but wondering if I can fill them up and grow something in them outside that doesn’t require a pump or filter?

my water is quite soft (~50ppm) I think I said that right I’m still new to fish keeping :Hilarious

I keep looking at these cichlids and there’s so many!!! I love the flower horn one and oscars :D puffer fish is catching my attention too lol.

I’ve been to a few fish shops recently and to be honest all the betta fish they stock look such in poor health with one resting against the glass in the bottom of the tank :( i like the river idea though, every loach ive seen looks amazing :D

7. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

After buying all these and running a few as well, I’ve come to realising keeping multiple tanks is hard work and want to downsize my collection already lol

LinznMilly likes this.
  8. LinznMilly

LinznMilly Moderator
    Staff Member

50ppm is as soft as mine - 3°GH. That's worrying as it's too soft for your guppies, even if they are breeding! Compare water hardness to temperature. Just as mammals can regulate their own body temperature, so software fish can regulate and store the calcium and magnesium that's often low or very low in their water. Whereas hardwater fish would be the reptiles of the water hardness world. They're much more closely related to, and dependant on, the calcium and magnesium (and other minerals) levels in their water. I

I'm not saying you should p re-home your guppies, but you will have to raise their water hardness in the long run. This can be as simple as replacing the substrate of their tank with rift lake substrate (Malawi springs to mind).

On the plus side, software fish are much more common than hardwater. Most tetras, rasboras, barbs, cichlids (South and I think Central American), gouramis and yes, Bettas, are all soft water fish.

As for the Bettas in the pet shops being "poor" quality - if they're in tanks divided by transparent dividers, it could simply be that they've given up trying to defend their territory because they can't make their rival/s go away. :( In a tank of their own, with no rivals anywhere near them, they can perk up amazingly quickly. :)

Jason25 likes this.
  9. Jason25

Jason25 PetForums VIP

I’ve had to rehome all my guppies including the babies, it’s not fair on the fish, I don’t really know what I’m doing and I’ve just taken on a lot of work over the last week which will be really long days for the next few months possible up to Christmas which is good but I’ve also got daisy and she is my main priority and not much time left for them, so the fish has had to go to someone who can look after them properly and has the time to do so, I found someone on the local fish club Facebook page and gave them to them :)

I’ve got a 100l and 4 88l tanks stacked in the shed with all the pumps etc so still got it for next year if I decide to get back into it lol

LinznMilly likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice