Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tyrant kitten

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Micha2306, Sep 19, 2018.

1. Micha2306

Micha2306 PetForums Newbie

Hi Hoping someone can offer me advice/hope?!

I’ve got a 6 year old female tortie called Bella who I’ve had for 3ish years. She’s the sweetest thing in the world and won’t harm a fly.

We recently gave home to a now 5 1/2 month old kitten. He’s ginger, is absolutely hyper all the time,very loveable and loves cuddles (when he’s not biting me!) and was neutered a few weeks ago. It’s been nearly 3 months that we’ve had him and he’s still constantly jumping on Bella.

We introduced them very slowly. Only now are we just leaving them in the house by themselves together.

I distract him and play with him every chance I get (which is pretty much as soon as I get home till I go to bed, he never gets tired).

I’ve also tried time outs if he goes after Bella once she’s told him off once already.

I’m worried it’s really going to start stressing her out. She was such a mummy’s girl, I still try have an hour each evening with her for peace and quiet whilst my other half is with the kitten (George btw!) but other then that she can’t get near me as George will pounce on her if she dares walk about! She won’t tell him off properly, she hisses, she swipes, occasionally growls but then just runs away. I originally thought it was just playing and sometimes still do, but lately he’s been more aggressive, pinning her down and biting her.

Are there any other options?

I’m also trying to curb the biting me thing as well :) he doesn’t do it to my fiancé.

Any hopeful stories? Tips??!

Thank you

2. Treaclesmum

Treaclesmum PetForums VIP

Hi,

They both sound gorgeous! If he’s recently started pinning her down and biting her, that sounds like his male hormones kicking in. It sounds like mating behaviour. You should ask the vet if he is ready to be neutered, because it sounds as if he is. I think you will find his personality will settle down after neutering and they should start being a bit more relaxed around each other.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Micha2306 and welcome :)

Poor Bella, she has had her home invaded by an aggressive male kitten who is making her life miserable. Personally I don't think it sounds like a good match - Bella who is sweet natured and non-aggressive, and George who is hyperactive, aggressive and pushy. :( Some of his behaviour will be due to his age and normal boisterousness, but his neediness and clinginess and wanting all the attention for himself may be how he will always be.

When you decide to add another cat (or kitten) to the household it is important to choose a cat that has the type of personality to get along with your existing cat as you're not choosing a companion for yourself, you are choosing one for Bella, as it is her territory at present.

You could separate the cats more, putting George in his safe room and try reintroducing them more slowly to each other using a screen door fitted in George's doorway.

It might give George a chance to calm down if he has less access to Bella. And Bella would feel better if George is not around to bother her so much. Bella's spot on your bed at night must be sacrosanct, and no account should George be allowed to push her off or try and share it. If necessary one person can sleep with George in his night room, to give him reassurance and one sleep in the bedroom with Bella.

EDIT: are you using Feliway Friends diffusers and Pet Remedy Diffusers? We use these in the Shelter for cats who have to share pens, to keep the cats calm. Also, you could maybe give Bella a course of Zylkene, a calming supplement you add to her food. It will help her feel less anxious around George.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zylkene-75...7387886&sr=8-2&keywords=zylkene+75mg+for+cats

#3 chillminx, Sep 19, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2018
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@Treaclesmum - the OP said George has been neutered, a few weeks ago. :)

5. Treaclesmum

Oops, I missed that! However, even after neutering, it can take a few weeks for the hormones to settle down and he is the normal age to develop mating behaviour. Perhaps in another few weeks, things will improve somewhat, I hope so.

Micha2306 likes this.
  6. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Yes that is true TM. Perhaps I am being too harsh in my judgment of little George. Maybe in a few weeks he will be more respectful to Bella,. I hope so. :)

Treaclesmum likes this.
  7. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

George is being a normal kitten. I disagree that it has anything to do with hormones. This is how kittens behave. He's a kitten and Bella is another feline and he wants to romp and play with her. Keep playing with him and protect Bella by giving her places to go where he can't get. Put up a screen door to separate rooms for instance.

Provide plenty of places for George to climb and scratch and explore. He needs his mind to be kept busy as well as his body. Give him a box fort and a cube and a tunnel. Rotate them, just have one or two things out at a time, to keep his interest.

Mix up the interactive games too. Make sure he has a toy box to keep his toys in and a stuffed toy about his own size to beat up and bunny kick and bite.

Pick up his toys and toss them in the box or whatever place he designates as his toy spot. Then he can get out what he wants when he wants it. You wil soon find he expects you to put his favorites back where they belong when he is finished with them. :D

Feed him (and Bella too of course) good quality wet food only. Pay attention to ingredients and make sure the foods are low in carbs and no sugars. Feed them each in his or her own spot, not near each other.

I've brought in single kittens with adults in residence a number of times, and eventually the kitten grows up and learns the rules of the house, with consistent kind training.

Some Rescue Remedy might help reduce Bella's stress and help her cope.

Micha2306, Treaclesmum and moggie14 like this.
  8. Rufus15

Rufus15 Banned

I agree, he just wants to play. They need to have the space to learn each other's limits, which means they need to roughhouse each other and each give and get a wallop.

9. Micha2306

Thanks all.

Yes George is neutered so hoping he might calm down a little.

I have both feliway friends and pet remedy since the start and will keep at this as long as I have to.

They have a stupid amount of toys (whole big box full! ) which I rotate round. But I will look at one of those kick a roo toys as I’ve heard good things about them. He has a big teddy bear but he has no interest in that.

They get fed in separate rooms and both have separate litter trays (plus one more) as well as separate cat trees and spaces.

Will keep at it and hopefully things will improve!

Thank you :)

lorilu likes this.
  10. Treaclesmum

Toys with catnip in always seem to go down well with a lot of cats, mine love to play with those :)

SuboJvR and Micha2306 like this.
  11. SuboJvR

SuboJvR Joey’s Mummy

Although kittens take a while sometimes to grow into liking catnip! Mine still acts as if there’s nothing there...

Just wanted to say that if you are buying any new toys for George etc. do make sure to buy something for Bella too. She’ll need reassurance that she’s still number one (of course, she will share that spot now, but she needs to feel like it’s all about her ;))

Micha2306 and lorilu like this.
  12. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Kittens don't respond to catnip until they are at least over 3 months old and often not until at least 6 months. Of course some cats have no interest in it at all, but then again, not all catnip is created equal either. Te stuff I grow apparently is very strong, from what people I give it to for their cats tell me. : )

Micha2306 and chillminx like this.
  13. Micha2306

I think George’s behaviour has verryyyy slightly decreased in the last week or so. He’s still chasing Bella a lot and biting her occasionally.

I’m still giving Bella her own time in the evening including play time should she want it (which is not a lot at the moment, she just wants her cuddles).

George is still not letting her play though. Any sign of her walking on the floor he takes as an invitation to chase and pounce. Even if we’re doing everything we can to distract him.

Bellas also peed twice in the room (one in his play tent ‍♀️, other on a bag) that George gets fed etc in. Im taking that as a sign she’s trying to mark her territory. Only thing is it’s hard to make another room more ‘hers’ as George thinks he owns the place since from day one. I’m trying to make the lean to (quite a large lean to!) more her territory as she has always spent time in there since we moved to this house but it gets cold in there now the weather has cooled down.

Bella doesn’t avoid going anywhere (apart from making sure she always sits up high somewhere) and she still goes nose to nose with him (until he jumps her).

I just want her to be able to play and have cuddles without being in a separate room.

(Included updated pictures of my monsters!)

Oh and also yes Bella always gets a new toy as well! But she’s never really been interested in anything apart from a laser pen :)

Attached Files:

Treaclesmum likes this.
  14. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

I'm sure that will happen eventually. Regarding the peeing, I recommend a vet trip for Bella. Stress can make cats sick, especially older cats, and it often shows up in the urinary tract. Have a urinalysis done and get a senior blood profile.

Make sure to feed her a wet only diet (both of them of course) and give her some Rescue Remedy every day to help her cope. The RR should help her a lot. four drops in her food a couple times a day. (effects seem to last about 4-6 hours)

15. Micha2306

Thank you. I think I might get her checked out just in case. I have feliway friends and pet remedy plug ins. Will rescue remedy be okay on top of that?

lorilu likes this.
  16. lorilu

lorilu PetForums VIP

Rescue Remedy is something you give her orally or rub on her ear flaps, it's not an environmental plug in or spray It helps kitty feel relaxed and less stressed. I have a cat who has fear aggression at the vet, and also becomes very stressed when I have a company, even though she knows my friend very well. The Rescue Remedy helps her so much in both of those situations.

It may not help every pet, but it is worth trying for Bella, in my opinion. Get Rescue Remedy for pets, as it does not contain alcohol. (I take it myself on occasion too. I also use the pet version, because I find the alcohol content in the human version way too much)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice