Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Typical prices for training?

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by AmberNero, Apr 14, 2011.

1. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I want to take Amber to training/ behavioural classes. She has started exhibiting some behaviours which are not acceptable. I have looked at quite a few local trainers websites in the area, but not many display their prices. What would be an average price to pay per session? I imagine we would have to have at least one 1 to 1 session, too.

It seems to be around £30 for a one hour 1-1 session, and £40 for an 8-week course, does this sound about right?

Thanks for any help, cheers for reading :)

2. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Although they can vary I would say what you have put is a good ballpark figure:001_smile:
    Home visits are usually the most expensive I know of one locally at £90 for an hour :blink:

3. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

wow- £90 an hour- insane! Thanks for replying, I don't spend out on anything other than the food shopping and bits and bobs for the dogs, so I'm leeeettle clueless :eek:

4. babycham2002

I've heard of ones even more than that across the country. I wonder what you get for all that cash!!?!?!?!?

I pay £4 per half hour for two of my classes but my other trainer is the best and only charges me £5 for two hours training two different dogs and £5 for the two hours agility I do on Saturdays :001_smile: He's definitely not in it for the money. If you was closed to me I would definitely recommend him.

I think its the apdt website that will give you trainers in your area that are members of theirs and should have high standards because unfortunately I could set myself up as a behaviourist tomorrow with the way things are at the moment. So just look out for their credentials etc.
    Good luck, I hope you get it sorted :001_smile:

5. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

I would say that's very reasonable, especially for the south east area.

It seems to vary greatly and there are several around here that charge £10 - £15 per hour for basic pet training classes and considerably more for 1 to 1.

6. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

I'm in Kent? I'd be really gretaful if you wouldn't mind sending me a link or contact details for your trainer? Not to worry if not :)

Thanks for your reply :) xx

7. babycham2002

:eek: Sorry I dunno where I thought you was, doh :blink: :001_smile:
    Will pm you :smile:

8. babycham2002

You dont say what kind of behaviours, :smile:
    But for example, a little 2 year old dog started in the bronze class a real nervous fear aggressive wreck, this dog is now getting on with all the other dogs in class and showing huge improvements with new dogs, this is after just 4 classes they havent had a home visit.

9. AmberNero

AmberNero PetForums VIP

Sounds brilliant! Have PMmed you back.

10. Old Shep

Old Shep PetForums VIP

If it's just the ususal puppy problems you shouldn't need 1 to 1. A weekly class should be able to cover all the bases.

APDT sounds the route to go.

Good luck--let us know how you get on!

11. Rottiefan

Rottiefan PetForums VIP

There are some crazy trainers out there. And those 'Dog Listener' types- the Jan Fennell advocates- they can charge £300 +!!!!

Since I have no formal qualifications, I charge very little (£15 a home visit- no time limit really) just to get the experience!

12. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I think it is more a case of getting someone who knows what they are doing rather than how much they charge. Barkbusters so I am told charge £280 plus petrol, Dog Listener people charge from £185 upwards round here, again plus petrol. Neither of these types are behaviourists and have their strange ideas. A lady I know in West London charges £65 per hour, I know a very good one in South Herts who charges £150, but he knows what he is about.

I would ask for a free meeting and assessment if you are going to pay £30 per hour, so you can see how they are with your dogs and your dogs can decide whether they like them!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice