Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Typical price of Labrador puppies?

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by dandogman, Jan 7, 2012.

1. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I have been told today that the working puppies that I have enquired about are £950. That seems very expensive to me, what do you think?

2. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

That's very expensive, if you pm me the details, I'll have a look at them for you.

3. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I only had his email and phone number so not really any use! sorry.

4. redroses2106

redroses2106 PetForums VIP

when i was looking for a lab i found ones with no papers where £250 and ones with papers were about £500-£600

i ended up with a rescue one though so never seen any littres

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Do you know the breeding of the dogs? Their name may be of use, as I may know or may be able to find out more about their dogs.

To be honest, I know top field trialling bred dogs can go for over £1k, but that type of breeder also wouldn't allow their pups to go to pet homes normally.

6. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

This is the breeder- The Kennel Club - Assured Breeder

This is the stud dogs breeder (Montys breeder) (under recent puppy news)
    Pups & Training

7. TabithaJ

TabithaJ PetForums Senior

A year and a half ago, when I was on a waiting list for a pup from two top Lab breeders, the price of the pup was £600. These were 'show' type Labs, not working type.

8. pinkpuppy

pinkpuppy PetForums Member

We just paid £600 for ours... the most expensive i had come across was £650 and that was the woman trying to rip me off.

£950 seems quite steep from all those i had been researching xxx

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I've pm'd you :)

10. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

prices of a lab puppy vary from £150 to £700 around here - the £700 being 6-9 month old part trained gun dogs

puppies I would *consider* buying were £400-£500 with the relevent health tests either field or show type

any of the 'cheap' pups I would never buy as the likelyhood of genetic issues causing years of heartache and expensive vets bills is just too high

I'm in a pretty 'cheap' part of UK for gundogs though - lotsa marshland means lotsa labs/spaniels around

11. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

Thank you, I appreciate your help :)

12. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Welcome, I've pm'd you details of a litter due at the end of Jan this year, and will pm you more about the other litter once I've had chance to ask the OH, he'll know a lot more than I do, but the litter I've pm'd you, he's considering using one of their dogs, very nicely bred ;)

13. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

I'd be stumped if I were looking for a Lab pup tbh. Was talking to a neighbour with a KC regd one today, she was sweet as a pup and is still a nice dog but at three looks more like a cross than a lab :(

I'm flummoxed as they always have labs, this is their third and she just doesn't look like a decently bred girl, yet surely they know what to look for by now! There are so many i've seen that are fat and just not of type that I would ask Labby peeps on here or go to shows and see if I would be accepted on a waiting list.

I see practically every day what people mean about bad breeding and dogs just not looking like their breed standard with Staffies being another breed that's obviously affected! :(

Sorry to go off topic but I'd be very careful if buying a Lab these days. ;)

Wow you are sooo lucky that sleeping lion has offered help - that's exactly the kind of help I would want!

#13 Malmum, Jan 7, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2012
  14. vickieb

vickieb PetForums VIP

I paid £550 for a pedigree show type, this seemed to be the general cost from the breeders we where looking at. The health tests for mum and dad where great too 0:3 for mum and 0:5 for dad. This was 13 months ago and they didn't charge more for girls which some breeders seem to do.

15. IndysMamma

IndysMamma PetForums VIP

tbh if I was seriously looking to -buy- a lab rather than rescue... I would head straight to my Granddad who is an ex gamekeeper and get contact details off him for one of his friends that still breeds - a lot from Granddad's old lines - loads of them aren't KC registered and don't meet the kennelclub standdard as they like them a bit taller up there (highlands) but I know they are rock steady health wise and they consider them 'poor goors' if they retire before 13 years/pass on before 15/16... I have known several 18y/o's over the years

they are bred for health not looks but I like to think they are good looking beasties too

here's my old boy Mark - he could jump the 8-12ft deer fences, survived an adder bite to the chest (though did get a heart murmur) and would work until he dropped

sorry for the naff pic but we don't have many left - he died when I was 11.

Attached Files:

16. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

I see lots of the poorly bred labs too. I am making sure I get myself a proper lab, with pedigree and with parents health tests.
    I am also finding that there are quite a few chocolate litters but not any black. My Dad says black or nothing! lol

17. dandogman

dandogman PetForums VIP

16 years, that is pretty good going for a Lab.
    Monty died in December at only age 7.

18. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

Chocolate is a popular pet choice, there's an awful lot of them puppy farmed and just churned out by people who really don't know what they're doing, cutting corners, simply to try and make money. A lot of them end up in the homes of inexperienced dog owners, like me, who then go on a steep learning curve about dog training. I was fortunate enough to find a breeder who health tests, and who did think about the dog they used, rather than use the neighbours, and was very lucky to bring home Indie, my big chocolate girl; even my OH who is working dogs through and through, admits she is the perfect pet dog :eek:

19. TabithaJ

TabithaJ PetForums Senior

I think SLEEPING LION makes a really valid point about Chocolate Labs. I see so many of them around here that look poorly bred - they look like crosses half the time. There also seems to be a 'breeder' somewhere in my area who produces these strangely tall Chocolate Labs! Really bizarre - they resemble Rhodesian Ridgebacks more than Labs they are so tall!!:confused1:

And as others have noted, far too many people allow their Labs to get overweight. It's a real shame and not good for the dogs, especially as hip dysplasia is a problem in the breed and the extra weight puts pressure on the dog's joints.

There are details of some really nice litters on Champdogs at the moment, by the way...

20. Dober

Dober PetForums VIP

No relevant information regarding buying a lab, however a quick pat on the back as its nice to see someone doing the appropriate research regarding temperament and health testing. Good luck in your search!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice