Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Types Of Breeding

Discussion in 'Dog Breeding' started by sallyanne, Jan 22, 2008.

1. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

There are different types of breeding,

Inbreeding is the mating of very close relatives, for example, father to daughter, half-brother to half-sister, brother to sister, mother to son, etc.

Inbreeding intensifies the faults as well as the strong points, so considerable discretion must be used in the choice of the dogs. The faults may be to such an extent, that, sometimes, entire litters have to be destroyed in cases where obvious anomalies occur. For this reason, this type of breeding is not recommended to novice breeders.

Sometimes, in-breeding is the only option available, for example, in the re-creation of a nearly extinct breed or in breeding programs of newly created breeds.

Line-breeding

Line breeding is the mating of dogs having many common ancestors or mating to a slightly removed relative, e.g. granddaughter to grandsire, uncle to niece, etc.
    The benefit of line-breeding is the production of more consistent litters.

In order to have a chance to reinforce desired characteristics and eliminate health problems one has to have a thorough knowledge of both pedigrees of both the sire and the dam for at least five generations.

In general, most breeders adhere to a policy of line breeding, whereby they can assure uniformity of quality without risking the inherent dangers of inbreeding.

This technique appears to be the best compromise between inbreeding and the doubts of outcrossing or outbreeding.

Out-crossing

Outcrossing is the mating of two dogs that are the products of line breeding but of two distinctly separate lines.

Unless the two dogs involved in an outcross are strongly linebred with a possibility of a certain measure of prepotency, uniformity to the first generation is generally doubtful. It is generally employed as a long-term proposition to bring certain traits into a line that are otherwise deficient. These traits then need to be intensified by proper line breeding or inbreeding

Out-breeding

Outbreeding is the mating of two dogs who not only are the products of two distinctly separate lines, but on top are not the products of line breeding.

Outbreeding is seldom employed since in most breeding programs dogs that would qualify for outbreeding simply do not exist.

In summary, most successful breeders use some formula involving general line breeding with inbreeding employed when sufficiently outstanding products of their line result and outcrossing only when another line can supply a strong characteristic in which they are lacking.

2. garryd

garryd Guest

what have i told you sallyanne about looking down your nose at people !??? you have gone cross eyed again sally:D

3. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

Sallyanne, your first line says it all really, you are saying that they have no experience of breeding, you may be right or you may be wrong, you are making assumptions without evidence, you then go on to say the novice breeder shouldn't interbreed, so surely they are doing the right thing ensuring they are not related ?

4. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

No because you have to take all things into account when breeding,this is why it's important to see what has been produced by different dogs and bitches.

In my mind theres no such term as Inter-breeding,In-Breeding yes,alot of Breeders choose to line breed which gives you consistancy and type within a litter.
    I shall be line breeding when I breed my bitch but the puppy I keep will have close lines ,so therefore I'm going to have to go out of my lines,so may very well loose the type for a generation or two.

I've edited the OP,maybe your right,but I still have my doubts.

5. Jenny Olley

Jenny Olley PetForums VIP

I apologise for using the wrong terminology, the term is in-breeding, i must admit the term inter-breeding does bring the film deliverence to mind. I work dogs in competition, looking at the pedigree of any of the registered dogs, there appears to be no inbreeding, but there again they are just looking for working ability and something that looks like a Collie. However I know that the breeder our last dog wished us good look in finding a sire for her that was dual reg KC & ISDS, working high level comp. Obedience or Working Trials and was not related, as she was stuggling to find one for her bitch. The trouble appear to be with the sire's, the ones winning loads of tickets, sire loads of litters.

6. sallyanne

sallyanne Guest

I agree with you,I'm still looking at possible stud's for my bitch,winning tickets is important but not as important as finding what I think is the right dog,that excells in areas she lacks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice