Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Two new kittens fight :(

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Mo&amy, Feb 3, 2021.

1. Mo&amy

Mo&amy PetForums Newbie

Hi everyone!
    TOPIC :
    I have a case of my older kitten fighting or playing the new one I can't even tell! :eek:
    Also my baby Bengal eats less..
    Ivy (F) Bengal 4 months old - Beerus (M) Siamese 12 weeks old

Me and my boyfriend moved in together a few months ago and got two new kittens. :Woot
    Three weeks ago we adopted a baby Bengal cat, Ivy, she is 4 months old almost 5. She adapted very well to our apartment that's spacious enough for her to run around and be a baby bengal lol! We became best friends right away.
    Since we have to go back to work eventually, we adopted a litte brother for her three days ago: Beerus. I want them to keep each other compagny and I read that bengals are happier in duos. He is a small 12 weeks old Siamese Flame point. He is adapting well to us also, very cuddly and curious.

When they met the first day, Ivy got really curious but also jealous. She kept staring at him, smelling him, hissing, growling.. but not with force or agressivity (she has rubber claws cover by the way)
    At first we tried putting her away in our cat room (there's a spare room with her litter and her stuff) but she's very vocal so she started meowing way too loud. We tried ignoring it, didn't work. We tried to pet them beside each other, my boyfriend having beerus and me Ivy, didn't work. My boyfriend wanted him to sleep with us but nope, ivy was being loud again. We put beerus and all of his stuff in the cat room and moved Ivy's somewhere else.

2nd day me and my boyfriend read about the right ways to introduce new kittens. Beerus stayed in the room for the most part, us visiting him a lot and also giving Ivy a lot of attention in return. She started waving her paws and hissing under the door a couple of times but that's okay. At night, they both ate on each side of the door with a little space in between, but could see each other (it went fine).

3rd day today. Beerus was less shy, more active and curious. They ate breakfast beside each other this morning, went well. Ivy ignores him then starts staring, then licks herself. She ate a little. He is eating just fine in his own bowl. He spent 2-3 hours in his room in the afternoon with regular visits while I worked on the computer. Ivy was sleeping. He then started wanting to explore around so I let him, Ivy was following him smelling him and staring. He ended up falling alseep on my lap and her right beside me, they also slept on the cat tree not too far from each other. A little later on, Ivy being a bengal started being Hyperactive and wanted to play I guess, she hadn't been mean to him yet.. Until she started jumping on him and rolling around and biting him harder (not while screaming or any of that, but her eyes were black just like when she gets her boost of energy). So i separated them again, Beerus is back in his room.
    Tonight I noticed Ivy hadn't eaten very well all day, her bowl is still full and she's being distant even in our alone time.. :(
    I really try to give her as much attention possible and to prioritise her just like before! I have been doing pretty much everything I could read online about it.

I'm not sure if Ivy is really trying to hurt Beerus, or playing with him just a little too rough. He is still scared when she approaches too much in an intrusive way but he doesn't mind her that much, it's more on her side. It's been only 3 days so I guess I have to be patient.

I'd love for anybody to read this and give us advices, also if you've had a similar experience please share it would reassure us a little. My two friends have introduced their 2 yrs old domestic to their new 8 weeks old bengal and they told me to let them fight it out which worked for them... but i'm not too fund of that idea:Facepalm:Facepalm

How long did it take for your cats to get along? Are they bffs now? I really want to know your experiences.

2. Mo&amy

Mo&amy PetForums Newbie

By the way**
    They both have separate litters and food bowls.

3. Nicola234

Nicola234 PetForums Senior

Hi and welcome. Didn’t want to read them leave, I’m not experienced in this but have read that you’re not meant to feed them next to each other as it can cause issues ( food bowls, not treats) I think that they’re young and will be best friends in no time, I’d leave them to it and only separate if one is bullying the other, just sounds like kittens playing from what you described. Good luck with them, would love to see some pictures :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice