Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

two males, doberman & jack russell

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by karon, May 8, 2011.

1. karon

karon PetForums Newbie

Has anyone got/had these breeds ? I have JR of 15months & Dobermann 8 months, both male ,. Or has anyone experience of owning males with strong characters. I'm very interested on views, . My male Doberman was brought to my house by a local person, puppy farm & very sick, he is on Doberman Rescue to be found a forever home, i would like to keep him, but i have been advised to re-home one of the males.

2. vizzy24

vizzy24 PetForums VIP

Have they been neutered? They are 2 strong willed breeds so you encounter a few issues. I have not had either but i am sure someone will be along in a min who has more expierience of the breeds.

3. archiesmum

archiesmum PetForums VIP

I have three males - A westie, a english springer and a jackapoo. They all get on well together except at dinner time. I spend time with each of them seperately as well as together.

At dinner times they are feed individualy in different rooms but other thean that I have never had too many problems.

I am not saying they are as good as gold all of the times and there are times one or other will fall out but it is usually only for a minute and a quick no from me stops any nonsense.

All mine have been castrated which is supposed to help.

Val xx

4. SixStar

SixStar Banned

Why would you need to rehome one? Are you having problems between the 2 of them?

Pairs or groups of males CAN and do work out very well - I have 5 boys (including a terrier and a Mastiff - 2 very head strong breeds) and they all live quite happily together. Yes, they have their little scraps over daft things but 99% of the time they all get on very well and are the best of buddies.

5. Sled dog hotel

Sled dog hotel PetForums VIP

Same sexes can work. A lot depends on personality and how laid back they are though. Some will just take life as it comes, others will compete and kick off over everything and anything. Although I personally havent had either breed, My Dad had two dobie females who lived together fine and they were not spayed until later in life. They were pretty laid back though, but females can be as bad if not worse than males or some can. My sister had a weim and later got a dobie both females, and had to rehome the dobie. eventually as they just wouldnt live together as the pup got older and started to push the existing female weim who was there first.

It all depends on what you have and the status/personaities of the dogs in question. Although I must admit I have found opposite sexes, do take a lot more cheek and liberties from each other in the main. My boy can get away with things with the girls, and the girls can get away with things with him, but the wouldnt take the sme liberties of each other, although co-exist fine otherwise.

You have got two breeds who can be feisty and they are males so could well challenge each other, depends though if ones going to be the higher ranking and the others not going to be fussed and hapilly accept it. Its when they both continually challenge and wont quit and one wont give the serious problem arises. My Malamute ignores little lairy male dogs, but wont take it off a medium size or large dog. So you may be lucky and that will play a factor too. It could also go the other way too and there is no surprises whos likely to come off worse if the Jack is a little devil and will challenge the dobie or challenge him back in a squabble.

If they are likely to squabble and challenge, main triggers are usually, food,treats,chews,toys,attention,confined spaces, and times of hyper excitement like visitors coming. So they are things to watch until how you waited to see how the land lay and how they get on. If they get on for the first days/week or so, though still dont let your guard down, a new dog can spend the first two or 3 weeks just sussing out how things work and whats what before he/she somestimes starts to challenge. It can take many weeks if not a bit longer,before you completely know they are completely integrated and you know they are fine. So I wouldnt leave them alone unattended either deffiantely not for a awhile.

Sorry for whats turned out a long winded post. Just trying to give you information and examples, basically that there is never a cut and dried rule.
    At the end of the day it does depend on the dogs in question. Until you try you can never now for sure. Unless of course its total hate, or dislike at first sight or very soon after of course.

Edited to add, would deffiantely have them neutered, even if they were both ok or seemingly to be so.

#5 Sled dog hotel, May 8, 2011
    Last edited: May 8, 2011
  6. Sled dog hotel

That was one of my thoughts too, as I said there would be no surprises whos going to come off worse if they did have a set too.

7. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I knew someone with a male dobe and a male spaniel very many years ago. The spaniel didn't get a second chance in that case :(. (And the owner got stitches).

8. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Frightening given the size of boxers. Dobes are actually one of my favourite breeds (never owned one) but from what I gather they need an owner with a thorough understanding of them and a healthy amount of respect.

9. casandra

casandra PetForums VIP

I've been bitten (sutures required and it wasn't my dog that bit me) in a case of Dobermann same-sex aggression. In my opinion it is not worth the risks. Once they start, you're stuck with crating and rotating your dogs 24/7 for the rest of their lives or you can rehome. Even people with Dobe experience that spans many many decades will not have two males in the home.

You've got two very high energy, normally dominant and headstrong breeds who are close enough in age that they will both be going through puberty together. This is a time dobe owners call the "dober-teens". You will be challenged and you may have to go back to basics many times. I would still attempt to rehome the Dobermann, assuming that the JRT came first.

10. Sled dog hotel

Honest answer would I do it, would be no personally. However all you can do is give people scenarios what could happen, and what the risks are. You can never know if deffinately it would or wouldnt work with the two dogs in question.

Mals are known in general for same sex aggression, yet Ive known some live with same sex fine, others not in a million. One Sibe that wouldnt live with one male he was tried to be rehomed with just wouldnt have it (been fine with other males) then eventually he was rehomed and lived with yet another male for the rest of his life.

I do agree with you though, if it went wrong it could go wrong in a really big way.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice