Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Two male rats

Discussion in 'Rodents' started by Paula hooper, Mar 27, 2017.

1. Paula hooper

Paula hooper PetForums Newbie

I have two male rat 9 month old they are brothers been together since both always seem to get on how ever the last two night I heard very bad noise coming from the cage as it was two cats fighting there is no blood just two scared rats they are trying to hump each other I think this is the problem will they sort this out there self or will they need separation I'm a worried mum ty

2. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

The general rule of thumb is if there is no blood then it's nothing to worry about.

Rats sometimes squabble & it can get noisy.

To reduce any sort of territorial behaviour you can provide them with 2 (or more) of everything- nesting areas, hammocks, water bottles, & also try scatter feeding them so there are enough resources for them both, give them lots of enrichment & rotate it on cleanouts so they get lots of variety- with my girls I rotate their toys & provide them with a digging box one week, climbing frame the next & so on.

It may be a one off but it would be wise to keep an eye on them, if it carries on it may be that one of the boys is hormonally aggressive & if you can identify which one you could get him castrated & reintroduce them.

Separating generally creates more problems than it solves as rats are social animals & it's very rare that a rat is so aggressive that they need to live alone.

Torin. and Lurcherlad like this.
  3. Paula hooper

Ty mine have two of every thing lot of toys and things to do but bubbles alway taking squeaks food they always get treated the same xx

4. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

9 months is within the age bracket where hormonal issues can become apparent in bucks. Castration of the aggressor would be your best bet. If you're not sure about the vet on your doorstep's rodent expertise, then I'd ask join Rat Care UK on Facebook and ask for rat-savvy recommendations in your area.
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/RatCareUK/

simplysardonic likes this.
  5. simplysardonic

simplysardonic Moderator
    Staff Member

Agreed.

My Snape started showing issues at about 8 months, these became a lot more manageable after his castration.

He's the only male I've had done due to hormonal aggro (I still have the scars from his attacks!), although I did get one of my bucks done after his brother died so he could integrate with my ladies.

6. Paula hooper

Ty do you think it's safe to have them done as heard lots say they have lost there babies from anasetic

7. Torin.

Torin. PetForums VIP

Rats need to have gas anaesthetic as injectables aren't so safe with them. However it's rare nowadays for this to be an issue as most practices have converted over. If you're worried about the skill of your vet (have you asked them about experience?), do ask for recommendations for those competent with rat/ rodent surgery as I advised above.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice