UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Went to the shop this morning, I'm waiting in a queue behind these two kids of about 7. I think it must have been their first visit to a shop on their own.
They were counting and recounting their money and coming up with different amounts every time ;) Also having little disagreements of what they could afford, both thinking that they were right and the other was wrong :D
Once at the till, the little girl handed over her purchase to be scanned, only to find that she was 10p short.
A little argument ensued, with the girl managing to get what she thought was 10p from her brother, as it turned out it was only 9p and he had left her. She had started to panic a bit by now, but a lady in the queue paid her penny for her :thumbup:
The little boy however had had to go and choose something of lesser value :(
I thought it was really good to let children of this age go into a shop and try to handle their own money.

·
Registered
12,925 Posts
Thats really sweet and I agree
Children benefit from learning the value of money that early on
I work in a bank (for my sins) and the children who have their own little accounts from a younger age are much better with it as they get older.

·
Registered
15,284 Posts
LOL how cute.. Mine are all clued up on the money front Ryan went to the till he checked the price on the shelf it was 48p for a doughnut.. lol she charged him 50p he told her straight she owed him 2p... He is only 6 I Was stood in the shop watching, she tried to get one over on him he told her again.. In the end I stepped in and told her he was right so you owe him 2 p..lol

·
Registered
2,701 Posts
Aww! I'm still useless with money, even though I had a bank account from 7 years old. Ah well!

I work in Sainsbury's, and it makes me laugh when kids come in and can't afford certain items and ask me to count their money for them.

·
Registered
5,927 Posts
I think it's great...and a good way of teaching them maths too....my lot have had money of their own since they could walk to the shop....usually it's just their pocket money but instead of getting paid for cleaning their rooms, doing chores that kind of stuff...they just don't get their pocket money if it's not done...so they think they're getting paid for it when in fact it's just their pocket money. They've always gone to the shop with their older brother or a friend because the shop is just on the corner so they'll sit their working their money out on the shop floor..everyone in the shop knows my lot so I know they're ok there too....Kids need that sort of responsibility when they're young, because daft as it sounds...in a few years time they'll have a head start on sorting their own bills out.

·
Vassal to Lilly and Ludo
33,764 Posts
They sound so sweet - it's a good way to learn

I can remember going to the shops and counting and recounting my money to make sure I'd got it right (it was only yesterday :lol:)

·
Registered
4,349 Posts
its dead cute. i quite often get wee kids in counting their money!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.