Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Two Elderly Cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 9, 2010.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Don't usually come in here but was wondering if I could have some opinions?

We have two Manx cats (a stumpy and a rumpy if anyone wondered) and both are now 16. I've heard Manx don't usually live as long but I'm not sure on the truth of that. Tiger is a pedigree from a breeder and Orry from a rescue shelter, Tiger being a month older but both have been together since they were less than 6 months old.

Neither is in great health really. Orry has always struggled a bit to keep weight on but both just seem very elderly bless them, tiger doesn't groom herself anymore and both are a little incontinent. They had the odd spat but always curled up together and were little pals.

The time is coming where one will die, and if it's a PTS scenario, I'm wondering whether it may be kinder to let them both go together :( both are lovely but I'm so sure Tiger wouldn't last long without Orry, and that if she died he would just do one of his disappearing acts but may get hurt as he's not so young now. Both vanished for a few days at different times and the other was so distraught they wouldn't eat or drink or come inside :(

I mean obviously if one was in perfect health no, but neither are and I would hate for one to be so distressed without the other :(

What would you do, any bright ideas how I could try to make it better for the other when one does go?

Sorry it's a bit morbid :(

2. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

wow thats a hard one i know how you feel last year my fluffy had to be pts and it left snoopy oue other cat the night he was put down she cryed the hight pitch cry i had never heard such a cry and a minth later she had to be pts with cancer i think it was brough on br him dieing as she was so sad so it hard i think you have to think if they are both beyond help and they are in pain the pts is the kindest it something only you know how bad they are and what to do you have to do what right for you beloved pets

3. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

Sorry to hear about your kitties :(

Will have to see how they get on, its not easy though!

Thanks for the reply :) xx

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice