Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Two cats that used to get along now fight

Discussion in 'Cat Training and Behaviour' started by Elizabeth Maher, Sep 21, 2018.

1. Elizabeth Maher

Elizabeth Maher PetForums Newbie

Hi,

Has anyone had experience with a similar situation to the one which I am experiencing? I have three cats, two girls, and one boy. They are all indoor cats and are all neutered/ spayed. We have had them all for about six years and they generally get along, the girls get along great as we had them both from kittens, and we got the boy cat when they were both about one, and they took to each other in about a week. They have the odd time when they smack each other but in general, they have all lived together well. We recently went on holiday for a week, this is the first time the cats have been left in the house alone apart from a lady who came in a couple of times a day to do feed, water and do their litter boxes. Usually, when we go away, a friend stays in the house, but this time, she was away also and so couldn't. The first part of the week we were away, all was fine, however, the latter part of the week something must have happened as there was hair all over the floor and wee around the house. We have come home and one of the girl cats won't go anywhere near the boy cat, when he gets close to her she growls and hisses. He also seems a little stressed by this, he is a bit of a timid cat and before, he always loved the girl cat in question, he always wanted to cuddle up with her or groom her. the third cat (girl) is fine with both cats and goes about her daily business as normal. We have been back a week and they are still fighting when together. I've bought Feliway Friends, which hasn't made any difference, i've bought some paste to put in their food, that hasn't done anything either. Has anyone else had a similar situation and can give me some advice? I was wondering if it could be something to do with the lady that came in to feed the cats, she is a cat sitter and so will have had the scent of other cats on her. Any tips would be greatly welcomed. Thank you

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hello @Elizabeth Maher and welcome :)

I expect something specific did happen while you away that upset the cats. It might possibly have been to do with the cat sitter bringing in strange scents of other cats (indoor cats are especially sensitive to scents of strange cats in their home). It is probably unlikely you will find out for sure what the cause was though...

I think perhaps a reason for the negative vibes continuing is that there was no human in the house at the time to see the change in the trio's dynamics and to take immediate action to soothe the cats. '

I too have a multicat house household and my cats get on very well but there are occasional tiffs (e.g. between the 2 sisters who are very close). At such times I act as mediator and the cats have learned to expect me to play this role. They look at me and listen when I say calmly but firmly "that's enough now " and the argument stops. The same may apply with your 3 cats. :)

The best thing now is to give the 2 cats who are not getting along time apart, and only allow them together for short periods under your supervision. If there is any aggression separate them again. The time apart enables the tension and anxiety between them to lessen. Be prepared for it to take a few days before they are OK to be together again without supervision.

You may find Pet Remedy diffusers more helpful than Feliway Friends (we use both these at the shelter in the pens). PR can be bought from amazon. Your timid boy might benefit from a month's course of Zylkene, a calming supplement you add to food. Or Yucalm, which contains a different calming ingredient.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Zylkene-75...7556908&sr=8-2&keywords=zylkene+75mg+for+cats

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lintbells-...0&sr=8-1-spons&keywords=yucalm+for+cats&psc=1

3. Elizabeth Maher

Elizabeth Maher PetForums Newbie

Hi Chillminx, thanks so much for the advice. I've separated them at the moment and just let them eat together under my supervision. I will also try one of the supplements to see if that helps. Fingers crossed!

chillminx likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice