Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Two bits of great news and one sad bit.

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by SLB, Oct 16, 2013.

1. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Ok the good first.

My OH is coming home tonight!!! He's a day earlier than expected and he will be home in 2 -3 hours time! I haven't seen him since July! :D

Lou got the all clear at the vets, his feet have cleared up, I just have to keep an eye on them.

And the sad bit.

Whilst we were waiting for the receptionist to finish her call to check us in, I saw a man with his dog on his knee, half wrapped in a blanket, the bloke wiped tears from his eyes and I knew then what was about to happen. The dog was elderly, it's face was white all over. He was called in before I spoke with the receptionist. I sat in the waiting room and 10 minutes later, I saw the man carrying his dog completely covered in this blanket, past the window. I felt so sorry for him and it tugged at my heart strings, I cuddled Louie. I can't imagine ever having to make that decision. :(

2. lipsthefish

lipsthefish PetForums VIP

:( Our vets have made a special waiting room in their main practice, we've had to use it 4 times now :( When our first dog was pts we were with another vet and we had to sit waiting in a crowded waiting room and it was awful.

I'm glad Lou's feet are all better and I can feel your excitement at your other half coming home :)

3. Fluffster

Fluffster Crazy for cockers

Yay for your OH coming home! Does he work away or is he military? I was in a long distance rellie with my OH for a year, it's really tough!

I'm almost in tears reading the bit about the man and his old dog :( Just thinking about having to do that with Daisy or my two cats makes me want to sob, I don't know how I would ever cope with that. Half of me thinks I'd want my OH to do it, but then I'd want to be there with her at the end too, cuddling her. God it's just awful, but he obv had a nice life with someone who loved him, so there's a positive side to it too and he was able to go with dignity when his time was right.

4. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Whilst I am happy, the man will be in my thoughts, he has been since this afternoon.

5. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Blimey thats good about the OH and pleased about Lou's feet too that's great news.

That's so sad about the man and his dog :( It's so so hard.

Once I was in the vets (when Red was being treated for cancer so I was in there every week)
    and a lady came in to find out about her cat she had bought in earlier in the day and was so upset because she thought he would have to be put to sleep.
    My vets work on a seperate in and out door (sounds like yours does too)
    a while after she was called in she came back in the waiting room to tell me he was going to be okay and she was taking him home, I felt so happy. I have never seen such relief and elation on someones face.

6. Freddie and frank

Freddie and frank PetForums VIP

Yay....to lou's feet and your oh coming home.....is he in the forces? Sorry for being nosey :p

How sad to see the old fella:( I try not to look at any ill dogs in our vets, it's too upsetting.

#6 Freddie and frank, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  7. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

He's Infantry in the Army. We've always had a long distant relationship, have done for 4 years.

The bloke had someone with him, who stayed in the waiting room, I didn't want to ask or pry but Louie must've felt something as he let a perfect stranger make a fuss of him and over his head, which he hates.

8. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

I was once held up in a waiting room with one of the work dogs because the receptionist forgot to sign me in. It was bad enough knowing what I was there to do (she had a lump we could do nothing about and it had started to hurt her :() without having to wait an extra 20 minutes. I'd timed it perfectly, a nice last walk and straight in to the surgery for the appointment but no, someone else's mistake meant we were left waiting while she got increasingly stressed. I'd only known the dog for a couple of weeks but it was still upsetting to lose her.

I have been in that position with three of my dogs now and I wish I never have to again but I know I will, I will always do my best to be with my dogs at the end.

Good news about your other half though and Lou ofcourse!

9. Reverie

Reverie PetForums VIP

Almost cried at this when you posted it on fb, now I am. :( Poor man

Glad about the other things though- woo! :D

10. SLB

SLB PetForums VIP

Yes BC, we have the pharmacy and payment area in a separate building. We also have a separate bit for cats too.

Wryekin that is awful. I hate when places can't run properly. Especially when it puts lives at stake.

11. Wyrekin

Wyrekin PetForums VIP

We'd lost a few recently as well and I'd taken most of them in, it's the disadvantage of working with older animals :( I think the receptionist felt very guilty when I walked out without the dog and she realised what I was there to do.

12. DT

DT Banned

Glad to hear that you other half is home a day early! ENJOY:biggrin5
    And even more thrilled that Lou got the all clear:D
    As for the poor dog in the vets - its a time all good dog owners have to face, and take comfort in the fact that this oldie was cared for until the end
    :)

DT
    xxxx

13. Lilylass

Lilylass PetForums VIP

Yay to OH coming home & great news about Louie's feet :D

Eyes watering for the old guy and his dog ..... it's an awful thing to do and I always feel extra upset for really old people as the pet's often their only company :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice