UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sounds very random I know, and it is! My cat is long haired and has recently started to get sudden twitches down his back, then licks those areas very aggressively repeatedly. He'll stop doing it for a while, then just when I think whatever is is has gone, he does it again! I've treated him AND my house for fleas and he has just had the second application on his neck, but he is still doing it. It's not a constant thing, just every now and again......has he gone mad?!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Cats muscles on their backs twitch when they're aroused/excited lol.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He's been neutered. And he seems really agitated and licks as though its hurting. He can be laid asleep on my knee, then suddenly jump up and run off, then lick his side repeatedly!

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
I don't mean sexually aroused :eek: lol.

Have you gone through him with a flea comb? Sometimes the treatments don't work. What treatment did you use?

G

·
Cuddles my cat twitches down her back sometimes when she's excited (Playful) and when she's being combed. It's nothing to worry about :)

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't mean sexually aroused :eek: lol.

Have you gone through him with a flea comb? Sometimes the treatments don't work. What treatment did you use?
That I tried, didn't seem to get anything out though. Lol silly me, always have my mind in the gutter! :S

I used "spot-on combo" from pets at home....... If it hasn't worked, I think I'll have a nose bleed as it was £40 !! Haha

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cuddles my cat twitches down her back sometimes when she's excited (Playful) and when she's being combed. It's nothing to worry about :)[/]

That's a couple of people have said that now, I maybe just need to calm down and stop being an over protective mother ! Lol

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Right, i bit the bullet and gave into my over protective mother urges, and i took Harvey to the vet. Only purely because he was sat on my knee last night, just dozing off to sleep and he jumped up as though something had literally bit his backside. He then licked that area aggressively for 15 minutes!

Aaaaaaaanyway, turns out he DID have fleas, and the flea treatment worked, but he was allergic to the flea bites! which gave him a kind of dermotitis (spelling?) and his skin was irritated. so he now has an ointment for me to apply daily. He does seem more settled, even since the first application of it.

THANK GOD!

·
Registered
29,781 Posts
Dermatitis due to flea bite allergy is quite common in cats. You will need to keep up to date all the time with the flea treatments.

I don't know what the Spot-on Combo from [email protected] is that your used, but I suspect it is Frontline, which in fact is no longer very effective.

It is better to use Advantage, which can be bought from your vet, or on line from pet pharmacies. It doesn't cost anything like £40!! :eek: VetUK are selling 4 phials of it for £10.07 (large cats) or £9.66 (small cats).

You will need a separate total wormer such as Milbemax from the vet.

It is best to use the flea treatment every month, before your cat starts itching.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.