Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Twilight...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by cheekyscrip, Nov 15, 2012.

1. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

or am I a monster...
    A friend of ours wanted to go to see it with our girls...
    I said my girl is not allowed to see it...I got a bit of a strange look...my girl is very disappointed..
    but she is 9!

I allow her brother who is 12...(but he has read the books anyway..)
    I think 12 is about right for the mass killing and some other adult stuff anyway they are rated 12A?
    What do you think?

2. Holtie

Holtie PetForums VIP

I, personally, wouldn't let my daughter see it until she is twelve - (10 at the moment). She is your daughter and what you feel is best, stick with it. It is rather a bit too vivid for younger minds but obviously, everyone has their own views.

:)

3. CavalierOwner

CavalierOwner PetForums VIP

Well I don't think it's bad to watch it young tbh but I'm not a parent! All of my younger siblings have watched it and loved it but mum has never been too strict with films unless they are an 18 with major sex scenes or if they are scary films.

I think the only one thats a bit iffy is Breaking Dawn part one because theres sex scenes at the beginning but I don't think the "mass Killing" is gruesome or anything! I think axe murderers in a film would be more disturbing.

I used to watch Buffy The Vampire Slayer as a kid and I think most of the series' are rated 15 but it never did me any harm. :D

4. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Not sure what mass killing you're referring to? :confused:

5. seanmac

seanmac PetForums Senior

I agree with not letting her see it myself.

Also its amazing how much films like cars are adult based some of the lines are well RUDE

6. cheekyscrip

cheekyscrip Pitchfork blaster

some vampire/wolves etc...but the worst for me was the first part when bella is kidnapped and tortured...and enticed by the use of her mother voice!..pure evil...not a scene for a little girl...
    then the attack of vampire army and so on...
    for high school kids maybe...but hmm a bit realistic for younger kids..and she had a bad experience not long ago...

7. Sarah+Hammies

Sarah+Hammies PetForums VIP

I can see where you come from. My eldest son is 8 and I wouldn't allow him to watch a film like that unless I was sure it wasn't going to affect him. He has no desire to see it anyway but I feel that some aspects of the films are a bit too realistic and I am sure he wouldn't like it. I don't mind him watching films that have an older rating as long as I have seen it and OK'd it first.

As a parent you will do what you feel is right for your child regardless of what other people think, go with your gut feeling :)

8. RabbitMonster

RabbitMonster Banned

Ohh I see, yeah I can see why you would be concerned about a 9 year old watching it. I personally don't think they're overly realistic, however, I don't have kids so can't comment on how it would affect them. If you think it's too much for her then I think that's fair enough, and if another mother is thinking you're odd, then fook her :D

9. MissShelley

MissShelley PetForums VIP

I think you are being sensible. You know your children, and know what they are ready to be exposed too.

Afterall the 12A film ratings are there to help you decide whether the film is acceptable for your child, and if so the child can go along with an adult, but the adult is responsible for the child viewing that film.

10. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

That's how I am, aslong as I've seen it and feel its ok I allow them to they are quite mature in the fact they know many things aren't real (like dc who etc)
    Both have seen twilight all of them with us neither sat and watched all of it both weren't fussed they are 7 and 8 but I wouldn't take them cinema to watch it unless they were closer to 10/11 yrs old

11. myshkin

myshkin PetForums VIP

I think it's up to you, and no-one has a right to tell you what to do on this sort of thing.

Haven't seen the films myself, because a friend made me sit through an episode of the tv series and I thought it was absolute garbage!

But I do notice people desensitised to violence, and I think it's because they have seen too much on the screen from an early age....so if I was mum to a nine year old I'd probably feel the same.

12. BlueBeagle

BlueBeagle PetForums VIP

I also get funny looks as I won't let my children watch inappropriate films. I always say the rating is there for a reason! However, my eldest loves watching horror films and really hates me for not buying her 18 rated films :rolleyes: But this is mainly for other adult themes rather than the horror part. Now she is 14 she can watch 15's though.

Luckily my youngest is very sensitive and can hardly watch anything! Still has nightmares about the DW episode Blink! So it is relatively easy to keep her away from unsuitable flilms.

What I find confusing though is tv shows such as DW which are essentially a 'family' show and on at prime time etc that when they are released on DVD they are 12 rated!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice