Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

TV Licenses to end for many over 75

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by KittenKong, Jun 17, 2019.

1. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

Split from the Brexit thread.

2. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

1. Re the comments about loneliness from Cheeky on the Brexit thread:

2. I mourned the loss of the in vision continuity announcers most ITV regions used to have, which came to an end during the 1990s. Ian Stirling on Westward/TSW, Christopher Robbie Southern/TVS, Annie St. John on Tyne Tees and HTV West as examples. Most became much loved personalities in their own right and were much welcomed into the homes of viewers.

3. Tyne Tees Television announcer Neville Wanless always gave those on their own a special good night at closedown.
    Sorry about the numbers, couldn't delete them for some reason!

#2 KittenKong, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  3. kimthecat

kimthecat PetForums VIP

What is your view,? You've just copied and pasted someone elses.

#3 kimthecat, Jun 17, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2019
  4. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

I think it's an absolute disgrace personally speaking. I don't buy the arguments I've heard about this being a BBC decision rather than the Government's.

The BBC are, after all, a Public state broadcaster controlled by the Government! And, being announced at the same time as pledges to cut taxes for higher earners is a further kick in the teeth.

The government pledged the free licenses would continue in their manifesto. Makes me wonder if they'll end free off peak travel soon too.

kimthecat and Happy Paws2 like this.
  5. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

I think it's the right decision. It simply isn't substaninable for the BBC to continue to pay for it. It's a lot of money. The government screwed them over by passing it back to them so people point the blame toward the BBC when they should be angry at the government.

Lurcherlad likes this.
  6. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

I think it's disgusting, for some old people the TV is the only company they have and not all pensioners have a lot of money, not all have large pensions as some people think.:mad:

7. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

The licence is an archaic tax. Isn't it about time they became self sufficient by taking advertising, I mean in addition to their own TV Licence advertisements?

I know they'll be a lot of opposition to this of course, but seeing how they've performed as a government propaganda machine I resent paying any money to them, since I seldom watch any of their programmes nowadays.

As I mentioned above, a clever move to pass the buck on to the BBC, yet the BBC themselves are a public sector broadcaster! Had it been something like Sky increasing their subscription fees that's beyond the control of the government of course.

8. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

Pensioners entitled to pension credit will still get it for free so no need to worry about the poorer ones they will still get it :)

9. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

A difference in a few pounds can make the difference between someone qualifying and someone who doesn't.

And, if you think the option of a black and white licence is a compromise, after all it's £102.50 cheaper, the problem is no large screen B&W sets have been manufactured since the 1980s.

I used to use 1960s valved sets in the '80s but able to maintain them myself on the odd occasion they broke down.

Besides, many older people are very proud, so might not apply, even if they do qualify.

It's the principal of taking something away they once had for free. It's not right, especially when further tax cuts for the wealthy are proposed.

10. anachronism

anachronism PetForums VIP

I'm amazed at the furore that has happened due to some pensioners having to pay 13 quid a month for a TV license, when hardly anyone seems to bat an eyelid at the massive cuts the sick and disabled have faced, in some cases losing 100s of pounds a month.

Am I eligible to claim Pension Credit?
    Even if you own your home, you may still be eligible for Pension Credit. Nearly 9 out of 10 claims are successful and 2.5 million households across the UK receive Pension Credit.

from https://www.ageuk.org.uk/information-advice/money-legal/benefits-entitlements/pension-credit/

People claiming their pension nowadays have had so many advantages. The early NHS, being able to buy a house on one wage (a house which is probably worth 10 times what it was purchased for), free university, being able to retire years earlier than anyone of my generation will be able to. I don't see why richer pensioners can't pay for their own TV license.

There is a separate argument that it is time the BBC went like netflix or amazon prime and was opt in.

11. stuaz

stuaz PetForums VIP

Unfortunately taking in advertisements like ITV for example, would mean certain consumer programmes on local radio or on TV, would cease to function.

I don't watch any British TV channels, but I do listen to BBC radio and use the BBC News website so for that alone I am quite happy to pay the fee, but then I'm not over 75 and haven't had it previously for free.

KittenKong likes this.
  12. rottiepointerhouse

rottiepointerhouse PetForums VIP

So do I especially given that most of the rubbish they put on isn't worth watching. Many like my Mum who is 82 have no other source of entertainment, her eyes get tired/sore if she reads for long, she doesn't have a computer or phone to watch/listen to podcasts or Youtube videos and she doesn't understand the complicated TV so can't even watch stuff on catch up. All she has for entertainment is the TV and the main 5 channels. Thankfully she gets Pension Credit so will still get hers free and if she didn't we would sort it out for her but I feel so sorry for the people like some of her friends who are just above the threshold for Pension Credit as it is a lot of money to find.

Sacremist, Lurcherlad and KittenKong like this.
  13. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Everyone who will get the new state pension will have to pay. That's everyone........................

14. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

That's a very fair comment seeing you are used to paying the licence.

But I'll feel for the older people who might get harassed by the TV Licence enforcement squad for something they used to have for free.

I pay the licence too, then I'm in my fifties so never qualified for a free one which is fair enough.

15. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

The Tories have always classed the unemployed as, 'Scroungers' even at the time thousands were losing their jobs in the'80s.

Yes, they will be some, 'work shy' people as frequently seen on the 'Jeremy Kyle Show' for example, but many find themselves in such a predicament beyond their control through illness for example.

It's in the Tory Party's nature to make it more difficult to claim benefits, arguing, "Work pays". Why do you think they brought in Universal Credit and removed Housing Benefit for the under 25s?

Yes, cuts to these benefits might encourage people to look for work, pity the sick and disabled who can't work are classed as the same.

Then, most jobs are zero hour contracts nowadays which isn't fun should the work suddenly dry up. Been there and done that 30 years ago.

The sick and disabled are easy targets for the government. They closed down Remploy too of course.

As far as pensioners are concerned it's an entirely different matter. These people have usually worked their entire lives, so deserve recognition for this.

Besides, I'm aware if it was close to a General Election with the opposition high in the polls they wouldn't be considering this as they need the pensioner vote.

Having a television set is no longer considered a luxury, as it was in the 1950s.

16. rona

rona Still missing my boys

Well what is it then?

It certainly isn't an essential.

Magyarmum likes this.
  17. KittenKong

KittenKong PetForums VIP

You're surely not suggesting people shouldn't have access to a television set if they can't afford the licence?

Besides, many couldn't cope without Sky or Netflix let alone without a television!

Even in the 1970s when we had three channels there was controversy over the Labour government imposing 25% VAT on what they regarded as 'luxury' items such as TV sets. They were forced into a U-turn by halfing it to 12.5%, until Geoffrey Howe put it upto 15% in his first Tory budget.

18. Happy Paws2

Happy Paws2 PetForums VIP

Yes... but what about the ones that are just over and don't get any help at all and are still struggling to get by.

KittenKong, rona and MollySmith like this.
  19. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

This is my grandma who is 97. She’s increasingly confused as one is allowed to be at her age so unraveling her finances and sorting out what she might be entitled to is not easy neither is invoking power of attorney. It’s not something my family would want to do for the sake of the TV licence.

Strikes me that there is a lot of politicking in the media and in general about this news but not enough said about how complicated the credit system is, the emotive impact and fragility of the very elderly like my gran. Frankly as a family we have enough to deal with regarding her health because of the lack of care given to the NHS and inability to find reliable at home help, this feels like another level of stress and chaos that nobody needs. I simply don’t find it acceptable when the BBC spend millions on salaries for the likes of Graham Norton, Gary Lineker and broadcast that One Show rubbish.

Happy Paws2 and KittenKong like this.
  20. MollySmith

MollySmith PetForums VIP

My gran can’t use the Internet at her age, can listen to the radio (just) but can’t read very well and isn’t able to leave the house so her TV is good company. My late father in law who had early onset dementia would happily watch nature programmes which meant my mother in law had an hour or two of respite. It has a bigger purpose to many elderly people and in my gran’s case, an accessible way to get news as it has subtitles. Without it she’d really struggle.

In the past, 1950s, even maybe 1970s it wasn’t so essential. My husband’s family worked for Pye’s so they were the first on the street to get one and I grew up without a telly, it was a luxury, but we had a daily newspaper and a corner shop to buy it in. Neighbours spoke to others. For many who are affected by this change, they don’t use the Internet, are too frail to get to Tesco whose like have killed off newsagents. Society has changed and though I love tech and work in it, it can isolate. The relatively simple act of turning in a telly can bring company and information in an increasingly lonely world.

Sacremist, Happy Paws2 and KittenKong like this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice