Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

TV ad on 'How to get an abortion' to be aired next week

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by GoldenShadow, May 20, 2010.

1. GoldenShadow

GoldenShadow PetForums VIP

2. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

There was a discussion about it in 'this morning' earlier.

Appears to be an advert telling women/girls about a organisation they can contact to get info about the choices they have.

3. GoldenShadow

See that doesn't sound bad at all to me. But Yahoo makes it sound really like it tells girls exactly how you go about getting an abortion.

I thought it might be biased :rolleyes:

I'm watching this morning and I missed that, saw the lady who feeds her 5 YO onwards.

4. francesandjon

francesandjon PetForums VIP

It was before that......I did myself and the dog a favour, and we went for a walk before that bit came on!

5. Sorcha

Sorcha PetForums Senior

I'm all for giving girls who get pregnant unwanted a place to go to get information and some guidance. I hope it's that and not a 'how to get an abortion done'.

6. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I think its a good idea if it provides the choices and more importantly the support for young girls in this situation - its better to make informed choices than to do something in a blind panic and be scared.

7. H0lly

H0lly PetForums VIP

Its By Marie Stopes , they have a website. i think its good for people who need support

babycham2002 likes this.
  8. Clare7435

Clare7435 PetForums VIP

Great post well said :)

9. rona

rona Guest

I'm sure it will be fine as it's by Marie Stopes.
    I don't understand why so many young girls are getting pregnant.
    I didn't know any when I was at school, I know it was a long time ago, but surely contraceptives are more reliable now.
    The morning after pill should have cut down on the amount of abortions, surely?

10. jen24

jen24 Banned

ive noticed alot of stories on yahoo sound worse than they actually are these days.

i think its a good idea though. girls/young women need to know their options and not many gp's ect are very helpful when it comes to abortions,birth control ect ect hence why so many girls struggle on alone.

just hope it works/helps.

11. GoldenShadow

Well morning after pill costs £20 if you go to the chemist and I expect that puts a lot of them off.

People just seem really lax. Four girls I went to school with (one just primary, one primary and secondary and two just secondary) are all pregnant/had babies. One is a year old in July, one was born late Feb, one is due any day and one is due September. These are the ones I know of and am still friendly with anyway.

There is one couple in particular out of those four though who had everything set up and are really stable compared to most, she is 18 her OH 23.

12. LostGirl

LostGirl PetForums VIP

i think its good

women of all ages should be able to know where to turn if they need to.

13. rona

rona Guest

I just can't get my head around this. In a world where people are dieing of Aids, how can they all take such risks?
    Aids wasn't a problem when I was young

14. GoldenShadow

I've said before I go to a good grammar school. The year 12's (doing the first year of A Levels aged 16-17) had a book where they all wrote how many sexual partners they had had. It was completely serious as well, and the average for the girls was 7 people.

My year (year 13) are SO different. The average for us would be about 1.5!

Some of the stories I've heard and what I've seen are awful. They all go out clubbing in Skegness underage and I can't believe I'm saying this on a forum, but there is an alleyway with a bin which is rather popular :scared:

This is why I don't go to Skeg!

15. rona

rona Guest

Tinsley.
    Do you know why they actually do it.
    Is it peer pressure, rebellion or what? :confused:

16. frags

frags PetForums VIP

As a mother of a 18 and 13 yr old girl im all in favour of this advert, id like to think that my girls would come to me for help but if they didnt i would want them to get the correct help and advice.

17. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

I think it's a good idea giving people somewhere they can go for support if that's what they choose to do. Especially younger girls who mightn't be aware of the options.

18. suzy93074

suzy93074 PetForums VIP

I agree that a lot of young girls do take risks but there are also a lot that do use protection of some sort - and it doesnt always work - nothing is 100%

Its all about education really - I know when I was at school Sex Education was absolutely crap - it showed the biological terms for sex but didnt talk about contraception,relationships,boys,peer pressure,support groups if you did get pregnant etc and I think all of those things are very important.

I also think boys need to be held more accountable than they are - a lot of lads pressure girls into having sex without condoms etc because they dont like them.

19. jen24

jen24 Banned

its not just the cost of the morning after pill either (also i think under 18's get it free) but its having to go into a chemist to get it. im guessing alot will feel embarrassed. it would be better if they gave them at the gp or clinic instead of purely in chemists.

20. GoldenShadow

Honestly? I think its because 1) they like it 2) they think it makes them look clever and like all the guys like them and 3) because they can.

I think its the same with going out getting drunk. Someone I used to be friends with had a pact with two friends when they were 12 that they were going to all get pregnant and be godmum's to each other's kids. Thank god she saw better of it, but they were genuinely going to go through with it!

It is *not* a lack of self esteem either and a means of making them feel better. Drinking is similar, I think they do it because they can and because it makes them look older than they are and like they are real adults.

I am a bit funny in that I don't like getting drunk. I like the odd glass of rose and things but I don't enjoy getting off my face. They all get in from a weekend out and have bruises down their legs and cuts and can't remember where from, they think its hilarious :nonod:

There are a few like me in my year re the drinking and about 75% of the girls wouldn't dream of getting with anyone they hadn't liked and been dating a while.

Literally less than a month ago one girl went on holiday with two friends and her boyfriend of almost 3 years. Whilst away she slept with the two friends on separate occasions and dumped her boyfriend when he found her Facebook message talking to one of the lads. Then they got stuck there for another few days with the volcanic ash but that's another story :rolleyes:

But yeah, ^^^ just shows so many don't even seem to care about what they are doing to themselves or the risks. I think I sound like a miserable old grandmother writing this but I don't share their enthusiasm on the random one night stands in public and getting hammered at weekends. I understand wanting 'a bit of fun' but they take it way too far and Skegness really isn't a very safe place either...

I think that represents about 60% of the youth of today if I am honest as well. Especially on the drinking front. The above are the type who cheat to get Educational Maintenance Allowance when they don't deserve it, can't be bothered to do a proper day's work and are often too lazy to try in school as well. There are some better people out there who do still get drunk the odd time etc but the fact is the type who care enough to work hard don't do it every weekend and make a show of themselves usually.

I'm a right moaning minnie :eek:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice