Turtle Shell

Discussion in 'Turtles and Tortoises' started by LeeW975, Sep 22, 2017.

1. LeeW975

LeeW975 PetForums Newbie

20170922_163215.jpg

Attached Files:

2. LeeW975

LeeW975 PetForums Newbie

Hello all,

I have basically had a Yellow Belly Slider dumped on me, long story but now I have the turtle I plan on looking after it properly. I'm not experienced so need advice.

The turtle is around 7" (shell head round tail) the current tank is way too small so I have a new one on order. The turtle has never had any type of UV light, it basically stayed under water next to the heater all the time. I have bought a UVA lamp and have that set up a UVB has been ordered.

The turtle loves the new lamp and has been basking all day nearly, it's the first time I've seen it dry and I've noticed cracks and flakyness in its shell? Will that repair itself with the correct treatment?

Thanks in advance

3. BlackCountryBoy79

BlackCountryBoy79 PetForums Newbie

Hiya buddy,I'm in no way an expert but our YBS dry docks a lot when he's shedding.. his scutes will raise and eventually fall off all because he's growing maybe that's what yours could be doing,and if I were you I'd get rid of the gravel out the tank as they sometimes swallow them if you want to use something on the bottom use children's play sand just make sure it has a good rinse. Hope this helps in some way