Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Turned down a tele interview today...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sleeping_Lion, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I commented on a BBC news story this morning, and they phoned me up, wanted to whisk me off to their studios for a television interview. But, had a think, and, although I think it's an issue that needs to be brought more to the fore, didn't feel like being bunged under a spotlight and made a two second celebrity, so told them no.

For anyone interested, the topic was stillbirth, the UK has one of the highest stillbirth rates in relation to income, and the maternity care is set in the dark ages as far as I'm concerned. Perhaps others have different experiences, but I can only go on what I have experienced and heard of. Let's hope the only room is for improvement.

2. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

My sister had a stillbirth last April. Her maternity care was absolutely appaling. Her midwife skipped scans that could have determined that her placenta was failing and saved my niece a slow death from starvation and the heartbreak of two families. All she ever heard was "Oh you and baby are disgustingly healthy." I have to try not to throttle the cow everytime I see her. 41 weeks and a stillbirth. There is NO need for that in this day and age where the problem is fixable.

3. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

There's a survey apparently, I'll try and remember to send you the details. My midwife didn't know the correct procedure and put the wrong possible conception date on my paperwork, meaning I was possibly 20 days over due by the time I suffered a placental abruption.

4. Gratch

Gratch PetForums VIP

Oh I'm so sorry for your loss :( Please do send me the details and I'll approach my sister with it after the first anniversaries are out of the way. The 9th was the day she died (she had heard her heartbeat the day before and had a kick in the early morning), the 11th was the day she was born and the 19th will be when her funeral was. It's terrible that women can't trust their midwives to do their job right sometimes.

5. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

I will, I think it's important as many women who've suffered still birth complete the survey :)

6. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That is shocking :(. I know my cousin ended up with a bad infection after an emergency c-section because the midwife didn't realise the baby was breach she wasn't on the 34 weeks scan. She's still got problems with it 5 years later. I can't understand how we can have some awful birth stats

7. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

How awful for you x

8. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

That's awful Chianya is your daughter ok now? I thought cleft pallet was pretty obvious

9. Sleeping_Lion

Sleeping_Lion Banned

It happens with alarming regularity, at every hospital every week, although it is rare for it to happen so late, which is why (apparently) they were keen to get me on to be interviewed. As far as I'm concerned, I'd just like to raise awareness, to try and help it from happening to anyone else.

10. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

Ah got confused I did know the difference too. They didn't notice that the milk was coming out of her nose? That is disgraceful

11. chianya

chianya PetForums Senior

lol thats ok many ppl only really know about the lip cos u can see it. They didnt notice as she couldnt feed i tried breast and bottle but cos she didnt have a roof she couldnt suck but they did send a doctor down to give her the all clear and she checked inside her mouth as the midwife said she had i short tongue. She didnt even notice the massive hole. I had had a look and thought something was odd but cos they said everything was fine i just took there word. When the health visitor came i said how she took an hour just to have 5ml of milk and that i was so worried i was squeezin the teat just to get some milk in her but it was comin out her nose thats when she finally got a proper check over

12. Nicky10

Nicky10 PetForums VIP

How do you miss the fact that a baby is missing the roof of their mouth? I'm glad she made it through pretty ok

13. northnsouth

northnsouth PetForums VIP

:eek: :eek: These incidents are so terrible, they are just basic care. How dreadful for you all {{{hugs}}}

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice