Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

turned a buyer away today

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by frags, Jun 28, 2009.

1. frags

frags PetForums VIP

as they wanted it purely for there 2 year old and also was only going to have it in a 3ft hutch as there garden was too small.

i told them i think they suited a guinea pig more. am i bad? i dont want any of buns being in a small hutch but i felt bad for judging people.

i also dont think giant buns are for small children. they havent had a rabbit or any pet before so i thought they really didnt seem experienced enough.

i feel kinda bad now

2. Badger's Mum

Badger's Mum PetForums VIP

I think your right, That's why i'm thinking 1st and getting back to you:D

3. Nonnie

Nonnie PetForums VIP

Dont feel bad. The welfare of an animal should always take precedence over the needs of humans.

If someone cannot house and look after an animals correctly, then they shouldnt own one.

A rabbit isnt a glorified childs toy, and ive no doubt that those sorts of people would just end up getting bored with it and neglecting the poor thing.

3 foot is plain cruelty for ANY rabbit.

4. umber

umber PetForums VIP

Frags dont feel bad at all. You have done the right thing! Its not that your judging them at all rather your looking at the welfare of your kits which you are entitled to and its the right of your kits that you look out for them

3ft hutch for one of your frenchys is a big no no! Plus for their 2 year old thats really sweet and all but its not an ideal pet for a toddler at all!

A big pat on the back for doing the right thing!

5. CharleyRogan

CharleyRogan PetForums VIP

If you are in any doubt, then you shouldn't sell your bunnies to them. You would feel worse if you sold them it, because you would have regretted it. I don't know the dimensions needed to keep a bunny, but from the sounds of it they weren't in the position to give your bunnies what they needed, so they shouldn't have one!

6. Gobaith

Gobaith PetForums VIP

Dont feel bad about what you did! They didnt look like they could have orientatated a rabbit into a small hutch and with having a two year old would the rabbit have been treated like a toy ?
    It was entirely your decision and atleast you are being concerning and you will ensure that your rabs go to the best homes possible :)

Chloe x

7. archielee

archielee PetForums VIP

don't fill bad i would have said the same (no way)

8. CheekoAndCo

CheekoAndCo PetForums VIP

I don't think your bad but I don't think you should have told them they suited a guinea pig more. I don't think any animal is suited purely for a 2 year old. They can't take care of it and might end up bored of it after a few days/weeks. Our neighbours 2 year old grandchild was up the other week and she was telling us how her mum was thinking of getting her a guinea pig and if we could take one of ours over for her to see. So we take one of the girls over, she looks at it and doesn't really know what to make of her.. and they decided they weren't getting any type of animal for her. But atleast it saved a poor guinea pig ending up at the bottom of a garden or in a rescue centre.

9. cassie01

cassie01 PetForums VIP

you did the right think, three foot is way too small and personally i dont think rabbits make good pets for two year olds. its different if the parents want the animal and the two year old is learing to respect animals but the responsibility has to be the parents and if they think that because their garden is small means the rabbit has to suffer then i dont think they know enough about rabbits to have one. if they were mine id want to make sure they all went to fantastic knowlegeable homes.

id probly go so far as to make them sit a test before letting them even look at mine. lol

10. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

well done you, you certainly did the right thing, i dont really think two year olds are interested in any kind of pet and i agree they probably shouldnt get a guinea pig either, two year olds can be quite strong with their grip on animals and guineas would probably object to being handled like that.

I hope thye dont get any animal, as im sure it would end up unwanted after a few weeks especially when winter comes.

11. toddy

toddy PetForums Senior

You are not bad you are a concientious breeder and they are hard to find.:D
    Well done you for turning them away you were right in doing so.
    I don't think rabbits are for kids whether they be giant or mini breeds.

12. Kammie

Kammie PetForums VIP

Remember whats happening with my neighbour at the moment, this seems like it would be the same situation. Your right for not wanting to give one of your babies to a toddler who'll not be able to look after it.

13. Tink82

Tink82 PetForums VIP

You did the right thing, I think a 2yo is way too young for a rabbit. At that age they are still learning to take responsibility for themselves let alone a rabbit.

I'm not totally against people buying pets for children IF (a big if) the adult is prepared to fully supervise the child and to do the jobs that the child forgets or can't do. provided the child is mature enough it can be very good for both child and animal. My daughter had Pepsi for her 6th birthday, we had many many talks before hand, read lots of books together about the things he will need and jobs we must do and it's worked well (apart from his distructive nature) every morning she tops up his pellets, water etc, cleans up any poop spills that come out his tray. She even plays hide and seek with him under my bed! It has given her a great sense of responsibility. I do the things such as cleaning out his litter tray and picking him up when needed (he tends to kick up a stink) when she was much younger we had goldfish, nice and easy, pinch of food and I cleaned the tank out.

All in all, I have a happy child and a happy rabbit. So long story short, you did the right thing ;)

14. frags

frags PetForums VIP

thanks all you have made me feel better.

i would have no problem with it but the lady clearly stated she wanted it for her child to cuddle upto on her lap in which obviously i told her rabbits dont like being picked up (most of them) i know some people have said no no to guinea pigs but i spose as my children have guineas from a young age i auto think there a good pet for youngsters my eldest daughters nursery even had them in there for the children to pet.

my 12 yr old daughter owns our guineas and she is a fab guinea owner she feeds waters and cleans them all the time but i spose 12 is alot older than 2 lol

15. manic_ragdoll

manic_ragdoll PetForums Junior

I think you were right to turn them away tbh, I'm expecting alitter any day now, and as I did before, I will have a lot of questions for any potential buyers that will allow me to see whether or not they are fit to/know how to look after them and knows what is required when owning a rabbit. If I find anyone that I dont think is going to be able to give them the best life then I'll turn them away, particularly if they're going to be buying it for such a young child. That wouldnt make anyone bad.

16. frags

frags PetForums VIP

got someone coming to see them today, she has asked lots of questions about the breed and the size, she has said she has had buns for years but never a giant and asked if a wooden play house would be suitable if the garden was secure for daytime use.

now thats the type of homes i approve of, they also have a teenage daughter but the woman said its not for her daughter although she will let her think it is lol

17. Pampered pets

Pampered pets PetForums Senior

That sounds promising, fingers crossed.

18. Jazzy

Jazzy PetForums VIP

No you definitely did the right thing in my opinion. A 3ft hutch is definitely too small for a large breed rabbit. My two Nethies have a 4ft two storey hutch each and a four foot run attached which they can use from 7am till around 10 at night.

19. Rachh

Rachh PetForums Senior

Well done to you ;]
    I'd of been like 'HOW DARE THEEEE TRY AND PUT MY BUNNEHH IN A SMALL HUTCH!!!!'
    ;D but i'm guessing you kept your cool.

I'd love a female giant in the future to be a house bun haha :]
    a giant with my nethie would be awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    :>
    Maybe I'll take the plunge when poppets eye has recovered :] x

20. VampiricLust

VampiricLust PetForums Senior

Even so the minimum size hutch for 2 piggies is 4ft x 2ft.
    So sounds like her accomodation was only fit for a hamster :(

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice