Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Turmeric for cats

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by BeckyF98, Sep 27, 2020.

1. BeckyF98

BeckyF98 PetForums Newbie

Just looking for advice for my cat. She’s got a couple of lumps, vets think it’s a tumour but obviously not sure yet wether it’s bad or not. She’s having surgery in a week to remove them but was thinking of maybe giving her some turmeric. What brands do people use, etc? Any advice would be great. Hoping it might help in a way for them not to grow back once removed, she’s not bothered by them in anyway but don’t want it to get bad!

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Hi @BeckyF98
    Hope your cat is ok.
    I haven't heard of turmeric for cats, only humans but maybe someone else is familiar.

3. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

@BeckyF98

Turmeric is one of the most contaminated spices there is, most often with insects, rodent hairs, insect or rodent faeces, and salmonella.

The worst offenders are spices imported from India and Mexico - and 80%-90% of world turmeric production is based in India. The amount of curcumin in turmeric (which is what gives the spice its deep orange colour) varies widely, and turmeric often has colouring added to it to make it appear a deeper yellow/orange:

But the real worry is that turmeric is often contaminated with lead, cadmium and other heavy metals. Lead is the most common.

The potential benefits in treating cats with turmeric are anecdotal only, and there are no safety or toxicity studies in cats. (Cats were used in a study of safe use of circumin in humans, but those toxicity studies were not published).

If you want to use turmeric or standardised curcumin for your cat, it is really best to do so under the supervision of a vet. It is worth noting that circumin has been associated with thinning of the blood. It also stimulates bile flow, which could be a real problem in some cats.

The recommended daily dose of standardised curcumin for a cat ranges from about 10 mg to 20 mg per 500 gram weight of cat. If your cat weighs 4.5 kg s/he would need around a tablespoon of turmeric a day split into at least two doses to maintain circulating levels in the bloodstream. Do you think your cat would accept nearly a tablespoon of this spice hidden in her food ? I find turmeric a very strong smelling spice (I use it when making curries)- imagine how strong it would smell to a cat's sensitive nose!

ewelsh likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice