Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tuna.. help

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by Little-moomin, Mar 6, 2017.

1. Little-moomin

Little-moomin PetForums VIP

Inka, our gorgeous 9 (early 10) year old, only eats tuna.. she's so fussy.

I've told mum a few times it's really bad for her, as even drained it's salty and it's not a complete food. She does eat dry too, but tuna is her wet food. She's VERY fussy, but to be honest, I think mum has sort of allowed her to become it.

Can anyone recommend any good (not too pricey) alternatives to tuna to slowly wean her off?

She's a really big solid cat, overweight, she has outside access but never seems able to shift the weight. I assume tuna is too blame..

EDIT, ha I just rang mum and she says she has TODAY found an alternative she lives, Thrive Ocean fish, very expensive though, any alternatives?

2. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi, it is very likely to be the dry food that's to blame for the cat being overweight. Tuna is pure protein so not likely to make her overweight.

However, as I mentioned in the other thread we were both posting on, tuna is not healthy for a cat to eat regularly because of the heavy metal and pesticide contamination found in all deep sea fish. And as you say there is too much salt in tuna intended for humans to feed to a cat and it could cause her kidney damage.

As for alternatives, there are hundreds of possibilities. ;) You may need to do the weaning off the tuna in stages before the cat will accept a good quality cat food. . What has your mum tried for her in the past? Has the cat ever eaten Felix As Good As It Looks ? It is not a top quality food but at the shelter we find it's a food that most cats will eat, even the fussy ones!

I recently tried Wellness Core wet food for one of my cats who is fussy, (on the recommendation of one of our lovely forum members) and my cat loves it.! :) . It comes in pouches, in a box of 6 from Pets@Home. Not cheap, but it may be a place to start.

I've also just bought a new make from Tesco, called Feline Cuisine. Comes in alutrays, flavours of chicken, or pork and chicken. This has also gone down very well with my fussy cat.
    Again, it is not cheap though.

If you can wean her onto wet cat foods, you can then try other makes, e.g. pate type foods in cans e.g. from The Happy Kitty Co - all good makes imported from Germany.

#2 chillminx, Mar 6, 2017
    Last edited: Mar 6, 2017
    bluecordelia likes this.
  3. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

If your Mum buys cat food from a supermarket with her shopping, she could try Sainsburys Delicious or Tesco has several new foods out including the Feline Choice @chillminx mentioned which looks quite appetising. PAH do Purely or Seriously Good. Even the Thrive fish isn't very good as ocean fish other than tuna is equally contaminated. A food with salmon would be a better choice.

4. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

It's not the best quality but better than salty tuna (incidentally supermarkets do tuna in Spring Water for humans) but Hi Life Tempt Me might be better.

5. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

Zooplus have a salmon (one of their brands) which is good quality. The thing is with ocean fish, it contains tuna. Could you try replacing half the meal with something else until you can switch, the same as weaning off dry food?

Or tough love.

6. Shrike

Shrike Brooke's faithful manservant

Have you tried the frozen "mystery" white fish most supermarkets sell? Our old family cat used to love this and coley. These fish aren't as far up the food chain as tuna so should be ok.

7. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

That mystery fish is river cobbler/pangasius and is used in fish & chip shops and restaurants in place of cod, some of them actually sell it as cod. It is nothing like cod and my by wouldn't touch it, has a kind of muddy slimy taste & texture but if you have a cat that doesn't now the difference it might work.
    Coley is better, it is firmer and flakes nicely, the pangasius is mushy and grey. It is called white fish so that people think it is lower grade cod or haddock (a rip off).

8. Shrike

I'm pretty sure river cobbler and pangasius are fresh water fish - if you buy sea fish that are unnamed it is usually whiting or pollock.

chillminx likes this.
  9. Erenya

Erenya PetForums VIP

I appreciate that this might not be the perfect solution, but could be a step in the right direction - Cosma do a complete Tuna cat food that looks just like tuna out of a can - like I said, it's not perfect, but at least it is a complete food so you'd know that your cat was getting all the right nutrients whilst you do look for a better solution. It's not bad value if you go for the 400g tins

Another one that might help you transition onto other types of cat food is Porta 21 Holistic - they do a tuna and chicken version which looks like tinned tuna with shredded chicken and is also a complete cat food. It does unfortunately have sugar in, but I think it works out at 0.23grams in a tin.... which is probably better than the current pure tuna diet.

You can get both of the above on Zooplus.

Given that she's gotten a taste for tuna, you may struggle to get her to transition to a commercial cat food (which obviously looks nothing like actual meat) - have you considered raw feeding - like natures menu or nutriment? she may take to that more easily.

10. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

When I have bought the mystery bags of white fish it never stated it was sea fish though, just 'white fish' so could have been anything. It would be healthier if it wasn't sea fish (assuming the fresh water wasn't as polluted as the sea). My Dad used to bring back whiting from fishing trips and it never seemed to be slimy, and pollock is more flakey isn't it? Like cod or coley. The stuff in those bags shouldn't be called white fish, it is grey :Yuck:Grumpy

11. Shrike

Whiting, coley and pollock are all members of the cod family so are quite similar in taste and texture. Must admit I'm not much of a cod fan (though it is nice in Spanish style dishes) - I'm very much a haddock fan!
    I'm quite dubious about fresh water fish at the moment - I've read some disturbing stories about fish farms in South Asia and China. Not just from a health point of view, but also from a social one as, apparently, local people are kicked off their ancestral lands to make way for large fish farms.

12. maisiecat

maisiecat PetForums VIP

I am out of touch with the fish industry, not needed to buy it for just over a year, before that it was a regular purchase, haddock, cod and coley, he got upset if he didn't get his daily fish. I know it wasn't the best food for him, but he enjoyed it and I wanted him to be happy, with all his problems, he did eat cat food as well, but the fish was ideal to roll into little pellets and hide his meds inside. Life is not the same without him.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice