Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Tumour?

Discussion in 'Dog Health and Nutrition' started by Burrowzig, Jan 13, 2012.

1. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

I took Ziggy to the vet just before Xmas, and pointed out this lump on Ziggy's leg, which still had hair on then (I cut the hair back since for a better look). The vet said it could be a tumour but removing it could be tricky as there isn't much spare skin where it is. It's just under the skin and attached to the skin only. It seems to me it's bigger now, and Ziggy's always fussing at it. I've been keeping it covered with a loose tube (adapted stop pad protector) and putting sudocrem on for several days at a time which reduces the redness - but as soon as she has access to it, it's back to licking and chewing at it.

I know it's a job for the vet, and we're going back there - just wondering if anyone else had had this sort of thing, and what happened.

Attached Files:

2. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Always a worry. Yes had something similar and ended up with a good result. We had several start growing on Nelson at around 6 months of age, on his leg and also on his muzzle. They were growing quite quickly. The vet took a biopsy for the lab and it came back as being non-malignant. Rather than surgery the growths were removed using what is best described as a freeze pen. Took only a few (3/4) sessions but the growths were removed and haven't come back. Not saying it will be as easy in your case but that is our experience with something similar. I hope it's as easy and as good a result for you.

#2 Goblin, Jan 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

I can see why that is in a very tricky location to remove.

I think as long as it is non malignant it can be removed (maybe in stages as Goblin said).

Please let us know how it goes at the vet... hoping it will be good news!

4. Lexiedhb

Lexiedhb Team Ginger!

If you think it is growing get it off ASAP- I mean yes it is in a difficult place but easier to close a 2cm wound than a 10cm one.

5. Dally Banjo

Dally Banjo PetForums VIP

Poor Ziggy :( Holly had a lump half way down her tail right between the bones & our vet managed to remove that, it was'nt bothering her but wanted to be sure it was'nt something nasty, & if it had grown it would have been harder to operate on as no flesh there & not alot of skin :( anyway the vet got rid of it & it did'nt need to be sent of for tests as it was just fur & gunk :confused: probably from a claw piercing it from a certain cat tail bashing :rolleyes: good luck at the vets :) x

6. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

My thought exactly. It's on a hind leg, just above the 'heel' on the in side. I think there's enough skin to close if the cut is made vertically. The stitched skin would stretch too, I think, in the same way skin stretches if you get fat.

I think it's grown in the last 3 weeks. I only noticed it the first time about a week before Xmas.

I've got an appointment for Monday, as the vet who saw it before is off till then.

7. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Back at the vet today and Ziggy's booked in for surgery next week, Monday. The lump on her leg will be removed, plus another little one on the back of her head. No walks or play for 10 days afterwards! That's going to be a tough one!

8. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Really hope all goes well for Ziggy on Monday.

9. Goblin

Goblin PetForums VIP

Best of luck.

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Best of luck for next week.

11. Nellybelly

Nellybelly PetForums VIP

That does sound tough...no walks and play for 10 days:( But hopefully it will help her make a speedy recovery from her surgery on Monday.

12. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Well. I don't know what's going on - maybe because I told Ziggy that if it was no better she was going to have the leg amputated - but it has reduced a lot in size. The vet had said it was like an odd, flat granuloma. I've been keeping it covered with a felt sleeve that fastens round it with velcro so she can't get at it, and putting antiseptic on twice a day. I'd been doing this for about 10 days before the last vet appointment without much noticeable effect apart from it being less sore as you'd expect when she couldn't get at it to chew and lick it. Yesterday I noticed she didn't seem to be trying to get to it, and this morning in the daylight, I had a good look and the hardness is nearly gone and it feels much more like normal skin - just a bit thicker.

I rang the vet to say what had happened, and that they'll probably have a surgical slot free. I'll still take her in for a check, and to take blood for her titre test.

If it continues to improve she won't be having an operation!

13. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

Well that's got to be really good news hasn't it?

14. Malmum

Malmum PetForums VIP

All sounds very positive doesn't it? ;)

Well done Ziggy for being a brave girl and leaving that nasty little lump alone. Hugs to her from here. :)

15. Dally Banjo

Great :D I hope she does'nt need her leg off after all ;) :lol:

16. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

Ziggy's here with me rather than going under the knife today! The lesion has changed shape again in the last couple of days, and has extended further down her leg in a wiggly line, and a new raised area was there this morning that wasn't there 24 hours ago! The site of the original lump is returning to normal skin.

So they did a needle biopsy to see what's causing it.

17. Dally Banjo

Strange, I hope you dont have to wait to long for the results x

18. Twiggy

Twiggy PetForums VIP

That's odd - when do you get the results?

19. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

The biopsy results just show normal cells and inflamed cells, so there's nothing nasty going on.
    The lump has disappeared now, and skin is returning to normal.
    Amazing what threats of amputation can do!
    Just wish I knew what had caused it.

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

What good news :D.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice