Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

tummy troubles with my kitten - still

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by Bellini, Jul 14, 2009.

1. Bellini

Bellini PetForums Member

Ok so in a nutshell here's the problem (tmi alert in places!). My kitten Millie is now almost 13 weeks old.

When I got Millie she was on Asda's own value brand adult catfood. the first 2 weeks she had tescos own and whiskas but then I found out about the lack of meat content she went onto "purely" pate wet food by Pets At Home. She was also having dry James Welbeloved which she loved.

Everything in those first few weeks were fine except for she starting puking up her dinner - initially twice a week or so but this increased in volume and regularity so I took her to the vets. Her poops were fine.

She had a 5 days of antibiotics and eukanuba pate along with the James Welbeloved which the vet said to supplement her diet as it's hypoallergenic etc. The puking stopped but as I started to wean her back on the purely she started having "cow pat" poops so I abandoned the purely and just let her have the James Welbeloved dry that she'd been having all along.

So this week she's been 100% on the dry. She's drinking a LOT of water and seems fine in herself apart from now her overnight/morning poops are very wet and cow pat like and she has fresh blood in them, Her evening poops - yes, we're getting 2 a day now - seem ok. They also STINK.

I weigh out her daily food as per the packet guidelines, then divide it up into 4 or 5 meals in a timed feeder with a little bit in her slim ball in between so she's not gorging or overeating but she has food available at all times via the slim ball. She's not eating any treats or off our plates or anything else.

Her worming, fleas and jabs are all up to date and she is getting bigger so I'm not worried about her weight gain. She seems fine in herself - although even when she was puking you wouldn't have known there was anything wrong.

Help???? What am I doing wrong? The vet did say that fresh red blood in her poop is to be expected when they're little but now the poops are not solid/formed every time so I am guessing something must be wrong.

Do you think Millie needs to see the vet again or should I just persevere?

2. nanamoo

nanamoo PetForums Member

try calling the vet for advice, they will let you know if they think you should bring her in, hopefully she gets better soon

3. kittykat

kittykat PetForums VIP

Hi I would definately take her back to the vet asap.

4. Tinks magic

Tinks magic PetForums Member

I would take her to the vet and then look at raw feeding. Tink was very sensitive to all wet foods and has completley settled on raw. No being sick or cow pat poos.

5. spid

spid PetForums VIP

Personally I would take her off all processed food for a few days and feed her cooked chicken only (it's very bland) until her poo's 'firm up'. This is what my vet always recommends. Anoter visit to te vets wouldn't go astray. They very slowly reintroduce one food at a time to gauge it's effect. Also seriously consider raw feeding - one of my kittens had a bout of the runs after scoffing mums food, 2 days on raw only and she is on the mend.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice