UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Read on another thread about tug toys and someones dog loves them. I had a light bulb moment and remembered Bramble loves his,but we dont play with it as someone said I should never let him win the tug :confused:I assume this is for dominance reasons. Would love to hear peoples views as would be great to take out on walks/training at the park and is something I think really would get his attention on me. :rolleyes:: But he is a strong boy and Im only small.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I play tug; it really builds a bond and helps build impulse control and obedience I think. Kilo is big and strong but I don't have any problems. I have rules:

1. The tug is put away and I bring it out and start the game.
2. Kilo has a command 'dead' to release the tug toy; if he does not the game ends.
3. If he gets sloppy with his teeth the game ends. Usually when he's tired and we have played too long so I try to stop before that point.
4. He only grabs the tug on command. The game ends if he tries to snatch it.

I often let him win; it builds his confidence and interest in the game.

As well as just tugging it's great for training; you can build all sorts of commands into the game with a tug game as a reward for compliance.

G

·
I play tug; it really builds a bond and helps build impulse control and obedience I think. Kilo is big and strong but I don't have any problems. I have rules:

1. The tug is put away and I bring it out and start the game.
2. Kilo has a command 'dead' to release the tug toy; if he does not the game ends.
3. If he gets sloppy with his teeth the game ends. Usually when he's tired and we have played too long so I try to stop before that point.
4. He only grabs the tug on command. The game ends if he tries to snatch it.

I often let him win; it builds his confidence and interest in the game.

As well as just tugging it's great for training; you can build all sorts of commands into the game with a tug game as a reward for compliance.
When you say the 'game ends' how do you do it? Do you drop the tug?

·
Registered
302 Posts
I play tug with Fly and she loves it - again, like Dogless, I start the game with her, and she knows "drop" to let it go and sit down and let me either start the tugging again or throw for her to collect and bring back. I stop the game when I choose and put the tug toy away.

Scout on the other hand at 8 months hasn't learned "drop" yet, and she still does that side to side terrier shaking/killing movement (Fly doesn't do that any more), so our tug games are more about trying to train "drop" (which she is taking a bloody long time to learn!).

·
Registered
784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was about to ask the same thing LurcherOwner, I think Bramble will "leave" for a top treat,so think I will bring it into training tomorrow.Yes Miranda Bram is 3 and still does the shaking/killing thing.Thats what makes it hard for me, dont think he played tug in his former life.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
When you say the 'game ends' how do you do it? Do you drop the tug?
If he snatches and leaps I take the tug and put it away.

If he refuses to release on 'dead' I let go of the tug and say 'Enough' which ends all games so he just drops it and I take it and put it away. In this case I will get it and resume the game after a very short space of time sometimes if it's just because he was over excited but it gives him the idea that the toy disappears I hope. Seems to work anyway. If he won't release because I have misjudged it and he's tired I put it away until the next day.

If his teeth get sloppy I put it away.

·
Registered
39,229 Posts

·
Registered
2,383 Posts
I play by getting Tilly to fetch/retrieve & bring it back... then she gets a tug, drops it on command for another retrieve... etc sometimes I let go so she can "win" the tug just for the sake of it.
I've never heard about it being a dominance thing though!

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I play by getting Tilly to fetch/retrieve & bring it back... then she gets a tug, drops it on command for another retrieve... etc sometimes I let go so she can "win" the tug just for the sake of it.
I've never heard about it being a dominance thing though!
People warn me all the time about not playing tug with Kilo ... the other day another dog owner was tugging his toy that he brought to her but she let go as she had underestimated his strength and said "I am so sorry, I let him win, that won't do you any good, is he quite a dominant dog at home?" :rolleyes:.

·
Premium Member
33,930 Posts
Dillon will turn any game in to a tuggy game if he can., but the big rope we have and he is so strong it is hard for us to win, so when we do play with it when we have enough and we want him to let go, one of us rings the door bell and it's game over. :D

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
I do the same as Dogless. We practice "leave" and a five -30 second sit between tuggie games for impulse control. First game may only be 5 seconds as Jackson gets very hyper very quickly. If the "leave" is successful next game is a few seconds longer. If he won't "leave " the tug toy I let go of the toy and wait with him hand on collar till he drops the toy out of boredom ( it can be quite a wait!). Lots of praise at this point and treat, other times the game is the reward. It is then back to a really short game with a successful "leave" before the toy is put away. We do play tuggie with a different tug/chewie which he gets to win with.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I do the same as Dogless. We practice "leave" and a five -30 second sit between tuggie games for impulse control. First game may only be 5 seconds as Jackson gets very hyper very quickly. If the "leave" is successful next game is a few seconds longer. If he won't "leave " the tug toy I let go of the toy and wait with him hand on collar till he drops the toy out of boredom ( it can be quite a wait!). Lots of praise at this point and treat, other times the game is the reward. It is then back to a really short game with a successful "leave" before the toy is put away. We do play tuggie with a different tug/chewie which he gets to win with.
It can take ages for Scout to release the toy - she can practically go to sleep still holding on to it! I am learning to be very very very patient ...

·
Registered
1,722 Posts
G

·
I ply tug with Buddy. The boy loves it. If he gets overexcited I'm working on teaching him to stop as he nips too hard when he's over excited like he did today. We don't know drop yet. If I say sit and I have the tug toy and e sits I reward him with a game of tug. Most of the time I win but if I'm not paying attention he wins. sometimes I'll have to let go to end it.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.