UK Pet Forums Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
GAH its doing my head in..!

Thinking it'd be nice to have a *decent* bed for the boy(s) but I cannot decide which. Generally Rupert doesn't love beds, he will lie on them but often chooses the floor. Might largely be due to the fact the sides flatten when he rests his chin on them I don't know.

There is just such a big price difference between the two I don't know which to go for. They wont snuggle up together so it would be pointless getting a huge nest for two. So they can either share a large nest, or share a futon (they would like next to each other on that).

Any advice?!

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
I think that flat beds are better from a musculoskeletal point of view as a dog can lie stretched out rather than having to lie a certain way in a round dog bed. Also, if Roo likes to lie on the floor it sounds as if he might prefer a flat bed.

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I think that flat beds are better from a musculoskeletal point of view as a dog can lie stretched out rather than having to lie a certain way in a round dog bed. Also, if Roo likes to lie on the floor it sounds as if he might prefer a flat bed.
I had never thought of that before, very interesting. Milo nearly always lies curled up but it is very rare for Rupert to unless he does it to *fit* into something...

·
Registered
4,015 Posts
My two have the tuffies xl flat bed.
I thought of the nest but went for the flat one cause they have the option of stretching out or snuggled up the corner.
Best bed ever.:D

·
Registered
10,506 Posts
Its a tough one, in the summer i would say a Futon and in winter a nest :rolleyes:

Enzo and Shelby have a futon each but there is also a faux leather nest in the front room, Enzo is 50/50 as to what he likes to sleep in/on !

·
Registered
17,498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I think I am leaning to the 110cm x 68cm waterproof futon, with a vet bed 'fluffie' brown cover..! Would set me back £111 including postage whereas a nest alone would be £134 with postage.

Will be for xmas if I get it, want to think about it a bit more first though! :)

Any more advice feel free to throw it my way :)

·
Registered
3,644 Posts
Terence has a duvet and he either scrunches it up in the corner of his crate when he wants to be curled up or drags it around and spreads it out more when he wants to stretch out.
That doesn't exactly help you, I suppose. :blush:

·
Registered
15,185 Posts
I have had my original Tuffies for years can't remember how many exactly) and they still look like new, never flatten, smell or hole. Quick hose down weekly keeps them fresh, I have the mattress as I prefer to give my dogs the option of curling up or stretching out.

·
Registered
4,705 Posts
I struggled as much as you, as you know.

At such a price it would be great if they had some kind of "try before you buy" option.....not very realistic though, I know!

·
Registered
2,990 Posts
We have an extra large nest and an extra large futon made by Tuffies after I read recommendations on here.

I bought the nest first, for Rosie, as she was always squeezing herself into Ringo's nest style beds, which couldn't be good for her. The extra large nest means she can stretch out if she wants as there is plenty of room.

It was popular, but often invaded by tiny Ringo, so because I was impressed with the quality, and the ease of keeping clean - I hate stinky hairy dog beds - I bought the futon which is the wipe clean one.

Very pleased with both.

Here is Ringo stretching out in Rosie's extra large Tuffies nest (I quickly ditched the hair collecting fleecy cover, I find that thick fleece really catches hair and dirt and that bothers me... :eek: I just pop a blanket in now if I think it's necessary.

Here is Rosie in the nest - plenty of room to stretch out if she wanted.

Ringo making the most of the space (he looks like a chubster here, and he isn't)

Rosie on her futon...

Sharing the futon...

·
Registered
3,914 Posts
Futon! I don't have a Tuffie but have one of the large Joules mattress beds.
Wasn't convinced the hounds would entertain sharing it but they both curl up on it of an evening and take turns lounging on it in the day - they've also got a smaller mattress that they share and a slightly too large oval plastic bed each.

I prefer mattress styles for the same reason of others, good for the dogs to have a choice I think.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
My two have the tuffies xl flat bed.
I thought of the nest but went for the flat one cause they have the option of stretching out or snuggled up the corner.
Best bed ever.:D
Are you sure that's what your dogs sleep on....looks awfully uncomfortable to me :D

(this must be yet another bogus link dreamed up by the network....I was attributed to a fetching pair of pink wellies when it did it to me)

I am with the flat bed brigade although I do think a snuggly nest looks so much nicer for them in the winter. If Mia gets cold she just jumps in bed with us and when she is too hot she goes back to her bed (or the sofa)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.