Welcome!

Welcome to PetForums, the UK's most popular and friendly pet owners community. Please 'Sign Up' if you'd like to take part and contribute to our forum.

Tuberculosis (TB) - Important - Raw Food

Discussion in 'Cat Health and Nutrition' started by alixtaylor, Nov 7, 2018.

1. alixtaylor

alixtaylor PetForums VIP

Hi everyone,

Apologies I've been quiet since we lost Luna nearly 3x weeks ago now. :( For anyone who didn't catch the thread it's here: https://www.petforums.co.uk/threads/luna-is-poorly.503015/

I'm posting about this again as we received further results after Luna passed away, we did a PRC test that was sent off beforehand, but takes a while to come back with results (3x weeks approx). The test came back positive for Mycobacterium Bovis, a strand of Tuberculosis (TB). This was presenting completely differently to how TB presents in human, who are most commonly infected in their lungs.

We are now going through a screening process for our other cat Vivi and for ourselves, as this has zoonotic potential. I wanted to reach out on the forum as we're working with the University of Edinburgh to investigate how she caught TB, as she was strictly indoor, the most likely scenario is through the the raw food diet she was on, which was venison flavour from the farmed deer (who can be infected by this strand of TB).

Professor Danielle Gunn-Moore and her Team at the University of Edinburgh are currently investigating at least 5 household of cats, from all over the UK, where at least one cat has recently developed tuberculosis (TB). In each household the sick cat(s) are mainly young, and mostly pedigree. The cats are indoor-only. They were all fed commercial raw food before become ill. They have been found to be infected with Mycobacterium bovis, which is usually the cause of TB in cattle.

The sick cats are developing lethargy and weakness, and on examination their vets have found abdominal masses and sometimes fluid in the abdomen. Lymph nodes may also be enlarged. The vets are usually suspicious of Feline Infectious Peritonitis (FIP), or a type of cancer called lymphoma. However, on investigation, TB has been diagnosed. Prof. Gunn-Moore is very keen to hear of any potential cases – this infection is not just a risk to the affected cat and other pets in the household, it is also a risk to the owners. The investigation is being taken seriously by the government; the Animal & Plant Heath Agency (APHA), Public Health England (PHE) and the Food Standards Agency (FSA) are also involved.

I wanted to bring this to everyone's attention, if anyone has seen these symptoms in their cats and their lifestyle matches the description above, then we would encourage you to speak directly to your vet. I can't mention brand or more details here, but if anyone want's to message me directly then please do so.

@Ceiling Kitty you might of already seen this on the vet news websites, but just to flag it up to you too.

Mods, I hope this is ok? Maybe we can make it a sticky for a bit? I can also post in the health section?

Thanks all xxx

2. Summercat

Summercat PetForums VIP

Thanks for the information. Very sorry about Luna.

TriTri likes this.
  3. Psygon

Psygon PetForums VIP

So sorry about Luna, I hope that your family and Vivi get the all clear.

It's good that the investigation is being taken so seriously though.

TriTri likes this.
  4. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Hi Alix, I am very sorry to hear this, it is disturbing news to hear that Luna died from TB.. According to DEFRA Bovine TB (Mycobacterium Bovis) can also infect pigs, so feeding raw pork to my cats (which I do sometimes ) is probably not such a good idea. :(

TriTri likes this.
  5. KCTT

KCTT PetForums VIP

I saw a news article about this the other day and thought of poor Luna and you.

Hope that you are doing ok through all of this x

TriTri likes this.
  6. huckybuck

huckybuck Feline Forum Fashionista

I’ve started to hear more about this too.

I really hope you and Vivi are all clear.

I’ve always been too scared about Salmonella and Campylobactor to feed raw (after Huck got CB when young) though I do still feed raw organic beef occasionally (if I would eat it raw myself).

I’m still so sad and sorry about Luna.

Thank you for posting and updating.

Soozi and TriTri like this.
  7. Ceiling Kitty

Ceiling Kitty Not available for comment

From last week's Veterinary Record:

received_1070088779839033~2.jpeg

It's on the ISFM veterinary forum, too.

Soozi, chillminx and stockwellcat. like this.
  8. stockwellcat.

stockwellcat. PetForums VIP

Thank you for this information op. I am really sorry to read about your loss.
    This is very worrying for people who raw feed their cats if this is the cause.

9. Tigermoon

Tigermoon PetForums VIP

A horrible thing to have to be going through, I'm so sorry for your loss.
    Very scary for those of us feeding raw. Looks like I'll be sticking to birdmeat from now on!

10. stockwellcat.

11. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

TriTri and stockwellcat. like this.
  12. lymorelynn

lymorelynn UN Peacekeeper in training
    Staff Member

I missed the post about the very sad loss of darling Luna :( I am so sorry xxx
    I hope you, Vivi and your family are all okay. It is certainly very worrying news for raw feeders - I did see a mention of a couple of cases of TB in cats on Facebook the other day but dismissed it as just another scare story. I will be reviewing what I give to my girls
    @alixtaylor - I have made this a sticky for now and moved it to the health and nutrition forum

huckybuck, TriTri and chillminx like this.
  13. Charity

Charity Endangered Species

I'm sorry to read this about poor Luna and I hope all your tests will be negative of course. I'm not a raw feed fan for the same reasons as HB.

huckybuck likes this.
  14. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

I’m very concerned. I bought the venison flavoured raw food from the same company. I had four boxes of it. My cats wouldn’t eat it, so I chopped it up into small pieces and fed it to my dog as treats. I didn’t buy any more. She already has cancer and mitral valve disease; this is the last thing she needs. I’m very worried.

15. stockwellcat.

I am now reviewing what I feed my girl. This limits things down alot.

#15 stockwellcat., Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018
  16. chillminx

chillminx PetForums VIP

Will she not eat cooked meat at all?

17. alixtaylor

alixtaylor PetForums VIP

From the information I can find it does occur in pigs, but is much rarer, whereas deer are highly susceptible to TB infection. Probably best to just avoid these proteins until more research has been conducted.

Thank you @lymorelynn!

Defintely have a conversation with your vet if you're concerned, but if you weren't feeding this food regularly then it is incredibly unlikely it was in the few boxes you received.

Sacremist likes this.
  18. stockwellcat.

She's very fussy.
    I started feeding pork because she went off beef and lamb. I have tried feeding her cooked pork but she showed no interest. The only other meat she will eat is Turkey but again isn't interested if it is cooked. She has an allergy to chicken so I cannot feed this.

19. gskinner123

gskinner123 PetForums VIP

20. Sacremist

Sacremist Mum to 2 cats and a dog

No it wasn’t regular. Once I knew the cats wouldn’t eat it, I saw no point in buying more. I only gave it to the dog to get rid of it, but she had only a small piece each day. I’ve read up on the symptoms in dogs and she has none. She was fed the food between April up to about July. It took ages to get rid of because I wouldn’t let her have too much with it being supposedly for cats and I didn’t want her to not eat her own food.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice