Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

TTouch Workshop

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by Dogless, Apr 14, 2011.

1. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I am pretty excited; have just booked a place on a TTouch workshop for the weekend after next!

Are there any practitioners on here or people who have done a workshop that have any advice for me before I go?

2. Emmastace

Emmastace PetForums VIP

I haven't done a workshop but the behaviourist we see on saturday mornings for Social Walk classes started showing us some techniques last week. We only did two exercises for about 10 mins total but it made a huge difference to Mia's stress levels.
    Good luck and let us know how you get on x

3. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Will do; have been interested in finding out more for a while and am excited to be learning something new :).

4. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

lol theres a lecturer at my college who is comletely obsessed with TTouch...she showed us videos and kept on telling us how only the people who do the course can use the TTouch...i use it on Tummel all the time i'd actually been doing the wee circular massages for ages(i do it to people too :p ) and didn't know it had a name!!! now Tummels too big so i just massage him now(he's not a stressy dog but i can tell he loves the fuss)....

Just wish someone would give me a massage :( how about it dogless?? ;)

5. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Kilo isn't stressy but I am interested in the techniques all the same and the groundwork is pretty interesting too.

As for the massage...I would love one myself; you have me thinking about things to do with my fortnight of Easter leave that starts tomorrow afternoon :D.

6. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

No advice because I havent managed to get on one yet
    But have fun and let us know how you get on

7. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I really want to do one of these as I think it would be really beneficial to Roxy. Are you doing it in Reading? Let us know how you get on :D

8. tripod

tripod PetForums VIP

My advice: enjoy yourself! Let us know how you get on :)

9. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

lol i meant you give me one...you can get one from me after ;) lol

Dogless' list of things to do
    -come to Fife(bring Kilo)
    -get/give ballybee a massage
    -leave Fife(and Kilo)

Sounds good yes??? :p:p:p

10. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

No, Manchester, will let you know how it is :).

11. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I know you did...but set me thinking about getting one when I'm on leave!!

First one and half the last one on the list seem to be OK...

12. ballybee

ballybee PetForums VIP

Meh, I suppose you could stay with us too :D either way as long as kilo stays I'm happy :p

13. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Just back from the workshop; it was great.

Kilo behaved really well which I was pleased with and we learnt so much about the concepts and different touches. I particularly like the groundwork concept and will look into trying to apply it by setting a few things up at home / making an effort to walk on different surfaces etc.

I have so much to practice and am looking forward to getting to know Kilo better through watching the smallest signs he gives.

The lady who took it was great, very friendly and approachable and presented everything in a clear manner. She said that TTouch was good for 'listening to our dogs when they whisper, so they don't have to shout' (she attributed that to another practitioner, can't recall who :eek:) - I think that is a really fantastic way of remembering to take more notice of the subtle signals our dogs give out.

It was a lot to learn in a day; we are both exhausted and Kilo is fast asleep, but I would definitely recommend the workshop to anyone.

14. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

I really want to get someone to come round to the house to show me this (there is no way I could take Roxy to a workshop).

My OH was off work with a broken ankle for months so money was really tight but now he is back at work ...... ;)

Is this something that you could also use whilst out with your dog if they got stressed?

15. babycham2002

babycham2002 PetForums VIP

Sounds fantastic I must get on one ASAP

16. newfiesmum

newfiesmum Banned

I know someone who did the course and decided it was not for her. She is a trainer from West London and I think she wanted to do this as a sort of add on, but it was not what she expected.

Anyway, please let me know how you felt about it.

17. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

Yes; there were some great touches to use to calm a dog who is stressed; for example, Kilo isn't reactive but can get a bit over - tired excitable puppy - some of the touches can just be done as you are standing waiting to gain a bit of calm and one she suggested specifically to break your dog's focus when they 'freeze' looking at another dog for example.

18. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I posted about it a few posts ago; any questions, please ask and I will do my best to answer.

I thought it was great - mystical in terms of no 'hard science' which I usually like but the groundwork ideas made plenty of sense and when I did some of the touches Kilo did visibly relax. If nothing else, it does teach you to take note of all the small signals that your dog is sending to you and can improve the bond between you.

19. Cleo38

Cleo38 PetForums VIP

That's what I would be most interested in.

I did speak to a lady who was going to come to our house & go through it with us (Roxy would have been more relaxed so would have made ALOT easier!)

Now my OH is back at work I think I will try & re-book as I really do feel this would be beneficial to us.

I'm a bit the oppsitte in that I like 'hard science' & tend to steer away from more 'alternative' stuff (I'm an old cynic!! :D) but have heard such good things about TTouch that I would love to find out more.

I think I may wait until my OH is out for the day & book a session - he'll go mad if he realises that I plan to spend more money on dog related stuff

20. Dogless

Dogless PetForums VIP

I meant that I like hard science; maybe didn't express myself too well :eek:. I am very 'black and white' so was pleasantly surprised that I really liked today. I have loads and loads of practice to do so will let you know how it goes.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice