Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trying to put my dog to bed and he becomes aggressive

Discussion in 'Dog Training and Behaviour' started by J23578, Jan 1, 2019.

1. J23578

J23578 PetForums Newbie

I’ve had my dog for 6 years now and there has never really been a problem about going to bed. Until the last few night when the he would hide behind the tv and get aggressive when we try to get him out. It even takes a long time to lure him out with treats

Any Suggestions ??

2. Jamesgoeswalkies

Jamesgoeswalkies PetForums VIP

I would think very carefully about why your dog may have had a sudden change of behaviour in regard to going to bed - has something frightened him at night, has his sleeping routine/place changed, have you had a busy social Christmas, has re reacted to fireworks or a weather change recently .......anything like this could have made him feel unsafe when left 'at night' which is leading to his reluctance to 'go to bed'. Obviously a visit to the Vet may be in order, too as this often rules out any pain issues they may be having.

He 'gets' aggressive' because when you go to get him out he initially asks you nicely not to approach (though his body language) and when this doesn't work (as the human is still trying to get to him) he escalates his communication (up the ladder of 'aggression'). The best thing is to change his evening routine so that he doesn't have access to the TV area/ lounge at least an hour before 'bed time' (either do something different/go for a walk etc or pop him on a lead so he can't get himself in a corner and you can gently lead him around and off to bed.) By doing this you can start to break the habit that bed time means confrontation. But I would definitely look into why he is panicking at night ...

J

karenmc, J23578, tabelmabel and 2 others like this.
  3. Lurcherlad

Lurcherlad PetForums VIP

As above.

It’s important not to pressurise the dog by continuing to keep trying to get him.

This isn’t giving in to him but reading his body language and not pushing him to a higher state of anxiety where he might feel pushed to escalate.

Whilst you need to work out what’s triggered his reaction, does he have to go somewhere else or can you just leave his bed in that room?

4. Burrowzig

Burrowzig PetForums VIP

All the above, plus block off access to the back of the TV. Spare chairs, cardboard boxes - whatever you can lay your hands on.

Lurcherlad and J23578 like this.
  5. J23578

J23578 PetForums Newbie

Thanks for the insight I will look into it

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice