Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trying to make a change in Canadian pet store regulations, I need ideas

Discussion in 'Small Animal Chat' started by Sarah Jonesy, Jan 15, 2020.

1. Sarah Jonesy

Sarah Jonesy PetForums Newbie

Hello everyone,
    I live in Canada and have been researching a lot into laws and regulations for pet retail stores. I have been having a lot of trouble finding much here. I've been very sick of seeing the animal treatment in some of the stores in my area. So, i am researching to see if i can find a way to use laws and regulations or other strategies to make a change.
    I understand that other people in this forum are from other areas and other countries. I would just like to hear everyone's input and ideas on what I could do to do.

For example, I have been to many stores here that are housing their rodents in cages that are far too small. This one rabbit was about a quarter of the size of its cage, hardly able to move around. I also see countless enclosures for rats and other rodents with wire wheels or wheels that are far too small. I do understand that most pets are there for only a few weeks at a time before bought but this does not seem right to me at all.

What are your experiences and thoughts?

2. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

I suppose there way around it is 'its temporary accommodation'. While it's cruel and inhumane and not setting a good example to potential customers and owners the only way around it imo is saying temporary accommodation.

Studies have suggested that small cages have a negative impact on various animals. But again, temporary accommodation. :(

3. Sarah Jonesy

Sarah Jonesy PetForums Newbie

Yeah I had a feeling that was the reason for it being acceptable. I just pet stores employees and owners would work more on setting a good example and using proper accommodations as well as selling pet products that are actually safe for the pets. For example the critter trail cages, I believe I've only seen two cages from that company actually suitable for hamsters which they market their products for. I see that the purpose is to be appealing to children and making a lot of sales through that. I feel like there should be some kind of regulation on that. I know there are bigger problems in the world right now but I still get worked up about this.

Engel98 likes this.
  4. Engel98

Engel98 PetForums Senior

On YouTube there is a youtuber called munchie and she talks in great depth about this and she runs her own rescue. Maybe worth a binge watch if you haven't already :).

It's pretty sickening but educating one person at a time is our only current option. No point arguing with the staff as they don't make the decisions. Maybe write to the companies and sellers regarding it?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice