Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trying to figure out what happened

Discussion in 'Snakes' started by illogical_Logic, May 10, 2020.

1. illogical_Logic

illogical_Logic PetForums Junior

I want to preface this by saying that I am not naming the breeders yet. After this is all over depending on the outcome I will ask them if it is okay to name them, but so far they have been very helpful and even during this unfortunate situation it has been a positive experience.

This is a long story and I have a summary of it at the bottom if someone doesn’t want to read the whole thing.

It all started march 10th when I received my first snake via mail. She was a very small hognose snake I named puff who was a regular eater of frozen pinkys. I set up the enclosure after months of research to try my best to make her as comfortable as possible. But she just wouldn’t eat. After around 6 weeks of her not eating and being in constant communication with the breeder and trying multiple different methods of trying to feed her and multiple things to try to make her more comfortable (you can look at my previous thread if you really want to see everything I tried) I finally took her to the vet despite the fact that she looked really healthy, was very active and feisty since I was worried.

April 23 I took her to the vet and that is when I was told she had severe mouth rot. The vet was even surprised since it was the last thing she checked during the examination and she looked extremely healthy on the outside. The vet was extremely worried and told me she would help me do everything I could to help her but she may not recover since the infection was so severe. I had planned on following through and doing everything I can and while I was there she got some antibiotics and fluids. But when I got home I called up the breeders and they told me they were very surprised and that this has never happened before and they would like her back to nurse her back to health.

I complied and sent her back and told them that I was interested in taking her back if she recovered or taking a new snake if she did not. They got her back on April 28th and offered her a live pinky sometime during April 28th-29th. She took it immediately and ate it and they sent me a video of her doing so. (They offered her a live one since she hadn’t ate in so long but she was previously eating frozen) They stated her mouth seems normal and she seemed healthy and that they could not see anything wrong with her but they will keep a close eye on her. I sent them photos of what her mouth looked like at the vet (which I have attached) and they said it looked like her mouth was just irritated in the photos. She has accepted 2 pinkys since she has been back with them and they insist that for some reason she just was not comfortable in the enclosure I set up for her.

My plan is to take her back if she goes back to eating frozen or pick out a new snake if she won’t accept frozen. I am just looking for other people’s opinions on this matter. I am not saying my vet nor the breeders are wrong. But I have 2 very conflicting opinions. I talked to my vet about it and she said that she didn't think the infection could clear up that fast (did say it was possible but it shouldn’t be all clear) and maybe the snake was so hungry that it ate through the pain. The breeders think she is healthy and that she just wasn’t comfortable here for some reason. The important thing is that she is eating so that is a sign of recovery, I’m just trying to figure out what happened so I can avoid it in the future.

TLTR: Got a snake from breeders but it just wouldn’t eat. After around 6 weeks I took it to the vet because I was worried. The vet found it had severe mouth rot. I told the breeders and they asked for me to send her back to nurse her back to health. When they got her back they were able to get her to eat twice and said her mouth looked healthy. I sent a picture (attached) of what the vet saw and they said it doesn’t look like that now and maybe it was just irritated when the vet took the picture. My vet said it was unlikely that the infection could have cleared up this fast. The breeder says she is healthy and was most likely just not comfortable enough to eat for some reason. I’m not saying either is wrong, I just want to know what happened and how I can avoid it in the future, so I’m looking for the opinions of others.

The breeder is handling the situation well and I am pleased I just want to figure out what exactly happened.

EDIT: I wanted to add that the breeders are doing everything they can to take care of her, they even took the snake back to their house to keep a close eye on her. So the breeders are doing their part in my opinion.

Attached Files:

#1 illogical_Logic, May 10, 2020
    Last edited: May 10, 2020
  2. illogical_Logic

illogical_Logic PetForums Junior

IMG_20200423_102627.jpg IMG_20200423_102637.jpg
    Here are a couple more photos of her mouth.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice