Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trying to figure out if we can own a dog

Discussion in 'Dog Chat' started by Timberford, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Timberford

Timberford PetForums Newbie

My wife and I both had dogs in our families when we were younger and would really like to own one ourselves. However, we both work full time and thus we have always dismissed the idea out of hand.

Essentially there would be no-one in the house from 8am til about 6pm, so the dog would be alone for 10 hours a day during the week. Unfortunately we don't work close enough to home to come back for lunch.

Obviously we realise these working hours are not at all ideal for owning a dog but we really would like one and thought we'd explore the idea a little further.

We have a garage attached to the side of our house and have thought that maybe we could get a doggie door fitted so that during the day the dog could roam between the garden and garage. When we return in the evening the dog could come in the house with us and we could allow it to sleep the night inside (if that was preferable). We have plenty of dog walking areas right behind our house to give it daily exercise.

We realise a puppy is totally out of the question, but we wondered if anyone had any advice for us on a breed that might be right for our circumstances.

We figure there must be plenty of full time working couples out there that own dogs... surely?

2. Patterdale_lover

Patterdale_lover PetForums VIP

You cold hire a dog walker, who could come in during the day to give it a lunch time walk :)
    I'm thinking a low energy level breed.
    Oh my! I just thought of a dog perfect for you

A retired greyhound! They love to sleep during the day, and have short spurts of running like once or twice a day, plus if you got a retired one it would not be a puppy. They are all in need of homes :(

3. Acacia86

Acacia86 PetForums VIP

If you decide to get a dog, then you would need to have a dog walker. Possibly to walk the dog mid-morning and then mid-afternoon. It is not advisable to leave any dog for 10 hours alone.

4. PoisonGirl

PoisonGirl Banned

I am going to go agaisnt and say it would not be fair to have a dog. Because 10 hours is too long imo for a dog to be alone, even if you did hire a dog walker, I think dogs should have more human company than that, and considering you are going to be sleeping for say 7-8 hours at night, that only leaves up to 7-8 hours of company per day and I couldn't do that to any dog, no matter how low energy it was.

The most hours I would say it was fair to leave a dog with no human company (not counting sleeping time during the night) would be 4-6 hours. Mine are rarely left for even that long.

If you really want to spend time with a dog how about on your time off volunteer walking for your local rescue? I used to love doing that when I could not keep a dog in my flat.

x

5. Miss.PuddyCat

Miss.PuddyCat PetForums VIP

See this is the exact same problem im having. I work anywhere from 4 to 9 hr shifts 5 to 7 days a week and as much as my bf and i would love to have a dog it wouldnt be fair. So Im having to restrain myself until we have a house and i have gone to and finished college so somewhere in the next five yrs or later we can have a dog. But for now we just read up on dog breeds to see what we like and what would suit us :blushing:

You could always get a cat cuz i swear my cats are like dogs :eek:ut:

6. goodvic2

goodvic2 PetForums VIP

I do not think it is impossible, as long as you rescue.

Obviously a puppy is out of the question, as is a young dog. But a dog who is getting on in years and likes their peace and quiet, will be far better off with you than in a kennel.

If you go to a re-homing centre and telll them what you have just told us, then they will not give you a dog. In saying that, do not lie either as they may end up giving you a dog which will be unable to cope with that time alone.

There are lots of people on here who work for re-homing centres that may be able to help you.

Good luck x

7. Johnderondon

Johnderondon PetForums VIP

Start looking at smaller rescue who don't have a blanket policy in regard of working homes. The rescue I assist will place a dog into a working household if it has come from (and been successful in) a similar enviroment. Having said that they would require a mid-day walker to be arranged and they wouldn't accept a dog-flap into the garden unless your garden is dog theft-proof.

Be prepared for a bit of rejection because a lot of rescues won't like your situation and don't always take no for an answer. If you are turned away then write back explaining why you think they should reconsider. It is very reassuring for a rescue to see a little commitment and perseverance against adversity in an applicant.

Good luck.

8. rona

rona Guest

There are hundreds of older dogs in rescue that have spent years in kennels, your circumstances would not be any worse than their lives already.
    Why not look at getting two older smaller dogs and hiring a dog walker.
    At least these dogs will then have people who care about them and give them the cuddles that all dogs crave

9. tiddlypup

tiddlypup PetForums VIP

i work full time,nights,i have 5 dogs,all my spare time is spent with my babies,we spent a mad morning the other day, running in and out of the house in the pouring rain,it was bouncing down,some of you must have done this as a child,warm rain great fun,the dogs thought it was brilliant apart from the dane,danes dont do rain:D,my garden is totally wrecked,what took 2 hours to water now takes 10 mins but the dogs have to have free run,i also hide things all over the garden for them to find,i dont see why you cant take on a dog,im a firm believer its not quantity of time its quality of time,if you want to come home from work and cabbage in front of the tv or spend time in the pub then dont get a dog but if you can pack in some fun walks,cuddles etc then go for it,i know of people who dont work and have dogs and i can honestly say i spend more time with mine than they do with theirs,so many near me stuck in back gardens barking that sad bored woof

10. Timberford

Timberford PetForums Newbie

Thanks everyone for the replies so far.

Rescue is definitely an option and something I shall look into. I hadn't really considered it before.

However, leaving the dog alone for 10 hours is definitely not ideal and getting in a dog walker would solve that. It would also allow us a lot more flexibility when looking at which breed we could have. I have contacted a walker local to me to find out some more about their services.

What are people's experiences of dog walkers? Does anyone use one on a daily basis?

11. sullivan

sullivan PetForums VIP

mY SISTER IN LAWS USE pET SITTERS OR ANIMAL AUNTS . tHINK THERE BOTH IN YELLOW PAGES THEY ALSO DO A DIARY WHICH THEY USE TO CORRISPOND WITH YOU AND LET YOU KNOW HOW THINGS ARE GOING. THEY HAVE NEVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM AND FIND THEM GOOD.

12. rona

rona Guest

Go out and about and talk to the dog people, they have a far better idea which walkers are best in your area. Word passes quickly from dog person to dog person :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice