Welcome to PetForums

Join thousands of other pet owners and pet lovers on the UK's most popular and friendly pet community and discussion forum.

Trying to convince my mom on getting another cat

Discussion in 'Cat Chat' started by rachael, Jul 27, 2009.

1. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

There is an elderly cat at the shelter that I've grown to love so much. She used to be so nasty, even the card on her cage says "a diva and only does things on her terms".. But I've been working with her and she has become such a little sweet heart.

Her name is Jayla.. She's around 10-13 years old.. I don't want her to live the rest of her life at the shelter. I want to give her a home so she can be happy for the rest of her life.

She is extremely dirty and doesn't take care of herself. Today I noticed open sores on her feet from knots literally pulling the skin off. I told the people there that she needs a serious grooming and so the lady took a wet rag and wiped her.. ! I spoke to my boss today in person and showed her how dirty the cat is and she said they'd have her groomed. I told her if they want I'd pay for a professional groom, but she said no because it's Safe Harbor's cat and Safe Harbor is responsible.. I'd do it myself, but Jayla's diva side does come out every now and then..

The first photo is an old picture. In fact I think it's 3 years old. (She's been at the shelter since 2007)

The other two pictures are both from this past week. They shaved her about a month ago so that's why her hair is shorter. The third picture is of her sleeping.. She always puts her face flat against the floor.. In that pic she was in a bed though.

Anyway.. I'm trying to convince my mom, but she just keeps saying that she doesn't want another cat and we don't have the money. I keep telling her I'm paying for everything food and litter and vet bills included.. and this cat is very low maintenance.. all she does is lay in one spot all day! I tell my mom that the only thing she'd ever probably do with Jayla is pet her.

I'm also trying a "home visit" first.. where we can take her home for 7 days and see if it works out.. But I can't even convince my mom of that!! Help me out I just want to TRY and see if this can work and I want my mom to see how little this cat demands!

Attached Files:

#1 rachael, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  2. Midnight

Midnight PetForums VIP

AAAwwwww Rachael that is soooooooooo sweet of you x ask your mom to read this : Hello Rachaels mom older cat's are so adorable we have taken on a 12 year old Tabby who is set in his way's :D but we have given him a second chance in life we have 7 other cat's and Thomas is number 8 ! we thought it would be hard for him as he has always been the only cat all his life, it was hard at first, but we perceived with it now he is one of the family and we wouldn't be without him ;) i'm sure reading Rachaels post she will care for her and give her lots of love which she deserves for her last years .. how i see it is if you have 1 two or three cats an extra one isn't any trouble !!! If you do get her we all want to see lots of piccy's :D go on make Jayla's day ;) it's not her fault she has been thrown into a rescue :( xxxxxxx Her piccy's are lovely she looks so cute:001_wub:

#2 Midnight, Jul 27, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2009
  3. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

My parents won't even try it for a week! I told my boss about the wounds on her feet and she said "yeah she has always been a messy cat"

!!!!!

I'm crying because I'm so angry! I want to help this cat so bad and I just can't! ONLY because my parents say "we don't want another cat it's a lot of work"

And I keep saying you won't be doing any work at all, I'll be taking care of her..

And besides that's why I want to take her for a week to see if it works out.. I said to them "I just want to try it for a week and if you guys still feel how you do right now then we can take her back to the shelter and I won't argue.. At least then I know that I did everything I could and it just didn't work out.. But right now I feel like I'm trying to do everything I can, but you guys won't even give it a shot.. And if you don't then I'm always going to be wondering if it would have worked."

4. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

My parents agreed to try a home visit! I'm so excited.. We just have to wait for the shelter to give her a bath first and then we will take her.

5. katie200

katie200 PetForums VIP

im happy for you that your mum is letting you have a home thing with the cat i hope it gos without a hitch but i know the feeling about wanting another cat because when my cat died and my mum got me a kitten but i also sow a kitten i liked and it took a lot of convisenting but she let me only if i took them when i moved out so good luck love pic by the way

6. rachael

rachael PetForums Senior

Yeah that's another thing.. I guess my mom was convinced for a while that I wasn't going to take my cat(s) with me when I moved out and that she'd be stuck wither her/them! I can't believe that she would think that.. I would not move into an apartment knowing that they don't allow cats! I love my baby (and elder) so much!

7. Milly22

Milly22 PetForums VIP

Yay! Hope it goes well. She's very sweet!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice