UK Pet Forums Forum banner
  • Please post in our Community Feedback thread for help with the new forum software! If you are having trouble logging in, please Contact Us for assistance.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
quick question.

some one on a face book group is selling pug x shai pai

for £400 a pup. i sked why they would do this cross and after all the abus on how it was non of my business i was told it means they hve non of the health prolems of pugs or shai pais

i didnt comment but with the health problems of the breeds wouldnt it be more likly that te pups end up with more problems or have i got it wrong?

·
Registered
39,229 Posts
They could end up with all, none or a mixture of any hereditary problems from both breeds I would have thought - other problems will depend on the pup's conformation.

·
Registered
2,594 Posts
Crossbreeding is absolutely no guarantee that the offspring will be healthier than the parents.

The pups might be lucky and somehow end up with few or no health problems. They might also end up with all possible health problems from both breeds.

The chances are that someone who is that clueless (not only to think that but to be breeding such a terrible cross) is not going to be doing health testing and won't have got the parents from decent breeders. I'm guessing these pups may well be more likely to have health problems than a well bred specimen of either breed.

Careful crossbreeding (or outcrossing) can help to improve specific conditions within a breed (look up LUA dalmatians) but just chucking two breeds, both of which can have a variety of nasty health issues is not going to be produce miraculously healthy pups.

·
Registered
23,249 Posts
Thats an insane cross IMO! If you wanted to cross to reduce health problems of one breed you would cross it with one with a better shape, not cross 2 identical breeds with similar health issues.:(

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
thanks all mkes sense now :)

re read and someone else has commented to :( she taking deposits and not even been born yet, loads of comments saying they want one to so hopfuly they wont have any bad probles

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.